September 28, 2024, 05:18:54 PM

Author Topic: Dave Coutts 2018  (Read 6181 times)

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Dave Coutts 2018
« on: August 08, 2018, 08:15:33 PM »
Hey all, just thought I'd reach out to any Dave Coutts fans here.

He has a new song out called To The Ocean

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xWQzyWHhYYk

Also I made a fan page for him in FB

https://m.facebook.com/fansofdavecoutts

Special thanks to the brothers DeLeo, and Kretz for bringing Dave's voice to our attention. As a musician, and music fan it means a LOT.

Sincerely, Dan Chapa, and Fans of Dave Coutts.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:36:20 PM by dlc95 »

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Coutts 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:22:12 AM »
Pretty cool.  Is there any footage of his show with 10 Inch Men from like a year or two ago?

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 12:44:56 AM »
Pretty cool.  Is there any footage of his show with 10 Inch Men from like a year or two ago?

No, I don't believe they got any unfortunately.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 04:04:09 AM »
I checked out the video, and honestly I'm not trying to take a giant crap on it at all, but after seeing it, it just reinforces to me that I just never understood this guy's performance style, or sort of disinterested lyrical melody creation.
I can't help but liken his stage presence to that like watching the Abnormals from Attack On Titan running around doing things.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:07:15 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »
I checked out the video, and honestly I'm not trying to take a giant crap on it at all, but after seeing it, it just reinforces to me that I just never understood this guy's performance style, or sort of disinterested lyrical melody creation.
I can't help but liken his stage presence to that like watching the Abnormals from Attack On Titan running around doing things.

Thanks for checking it out!

I guess the key phrase was "I just never understood". Maybe being that I come from the perspective of being a drummer I have a different perspective on melody?. Also, I grew up on the Beatles, Queen, and the lighter rock from the late 70's / early 80's. Disinterested? I don't get it.

The live footage was from what I believe was Ten Inch Men's last show. Seems he was more animated with them, and ironically, while with Talk Show he was criticized for his more understated stage presence... The old saying "you can't please everyone" rings true here.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »
Me and Dave did some emailing back and forth a few years back. We talked about my music and his music, specifically some of the Ten Inch Men stuff. They had an interesting sound on a couple of those songs. I remember telling him he should get back on the horse and release some things.

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
Me and Dave did some emailing back and forth a few years back. We talked about my music and his music, specifically some of the Ten Inch Men stuff. They had an interesting sound on a couple of those songs. I remember telling him he should get back on the horse and release some things.

I agree.

The early stuff was more "new-waveish", almost like early Cult. That Hours N Pain EP I just listened to in it's entirety, and I already know I'm gonna have it in my favorites. Pretty Vultures was the first CD I ever played in my brand new, off the lot car back in 99. Good memories with T.I.M. for sure.

I hope to play drums on some of his new stuff. Maybe use the guys in one of my bands for the rhythm tracks.

Funny trivia is that the bassist and I were in a band when we were teens in the 90's. It was him and his brother on guitar (another guy singing). They later went on to have a cover band with Jeff Gutt on vocals called Punch...

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
DLC95, was the guy posting here, user CaveDoutts, really Dave Coutts?  He never ever provided any proof it was him.  All we asked for was like a photo or something but never got any so it was all just on good faith.  If it really was him, why doesn't he post here on the regular and join in? 

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 11:24:58 PM »
DLC95, was the guy posting here, user CaveDoutts, really Dave Coutts?  He never ever provided any proof it was him.  All we asked for was like a photo or something but never got any so it was all just on good faith.  If it really was him, why doesn't he post here on the regular and join in?

Yeah, that was Dave.

After Talk Show ended he and his wife started a family, which can take up a LOT of time. 

And he actually did come on here to thank his supporters as Cave Coutts, and Dave Coutts.

As far as the "proof / pic"? I have no idea. It was him though.

Cave Doutts

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 12:31:43 AM »
Yo it's Dave,
I did not send a pic because I have lost all my hair and gained 200 lbs. I waddled my fat ass into a studio and recorded Ocean cuz
I wanted to let some people know I was still alive. Actually, it was a blast and I want to do more. As far as the little interview a couple years ago, the guy butchered it all up. He only printed the negatives. There were a lot of good things I said about the guys and negative things I said about myself. Lesson learned, but I did not call him, he found me. I am not looking for revenge or bad karma on anyone.
I think STP have a great guy in Gutt, Don't let Dean make fun of your pants dude, he's just jealous!
And for all of you lovelies out there who can't stand my voice or lyrics, there are three guys, perhaps you have heard of them that called me to do that gig called Talk Show. They liked my voice enough. I did not call or beg them to meet, do a demo, wait a year, do an album, wait another year, do a tour and then get tossed out of the bus. "So hug me hug me hug me, we may not have tomorrow, hug me baby hug me, we must not live in sorrow. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't change a thing,
You only learn when your really living."
Dont steal my lyrics bro. :D [size=78%]Dave[/size]

dlc95

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 12:40:09 AM »
Yo it's Dave,
I did not send a pic because I have lost all my hair and gained 200 lbs. I waddled my fat ass into a studio and recorded Ocean cuz
I wanted to let some people know I was still alive. Actually, it was a blast and I want to do more. As far as the little interview a couple years ago, the guy butchered it all up. He only printed the negatives. There were a lot of good things I said about the guys and negative things I said about myself. Lesson learned, but I did not call him, he found me. I am not looking for revenge or bad karma on anyone.
I think STP have a great guy in Gutt, Don't let Dean make fun of your pants dude, he's just jealous!
And for all of you lovelies out there who can't stand my voice or lyrics, there are three guys, perhaps you have heard of them that called me to do that gig called Talk Show. They liked my voice enough. I did not call or beg them to meet, do a demo, wait a year, do an album, wait another year, do a tour and then get tossed out of the bus. "So hug me hug me hug me, we may not have tomorrow, hug me baby hug me, we must not live in sorrow. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't change a thing,
You only learn when your really living."
Dont steal my lyrics bro. :D [size=78%]Dave[/size]

Truth! ;)

I wasn't gonna say..  ;D

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 12:11:42 PM »
Talk Show is one of my favourite albums, I think it easily holds its own amongst the classic STP run.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 01:55:58 PM »
Dave,  on songs where you have credit writing the music, how did that go down in the studio?  For example on Wash Me Down, did you dictate how the drums and bass will sound in general for Eric/Robert and they had some creative liberties or were those parts specifically written for them note for note?

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 02:42:30 PM »

Haha!  Nice.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
I too am a big fan of that Talk Show album. I think they put together some great songs.
I regret not catching that tour with the Foo Fighters back in '97.

I always had a question with regards to "Saturday", (not sure if it'll get answered here but...)
The vocal comes in very similarly to how Scott sang "Glide" years later. Even later in the song, vocal similarities appear throughout the tune. So my question is...were the vocal melodies written by Dave? Or were they suggested vocal lines by Rob or Dean, thus making the use of it in STP not a big deal?

Just curious.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19