September 27, 2024, 02:28:19 PM

Author Topic: Alice In Chains - ‘Rainier Fog’ (8/24)  (Read 7672 times)

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Alice In Chains - ‘Rainier Fog’ (8/24)
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2018, 03:26:18 AM »
Better than Dinosaurs, not as good as BGWTG. Digging the long songs.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2018, 05:59:35 AM »
I will say that, so far, this appears to be the weakest AIC album in my opinion. I'll need to give it more attention and see if I come around at all, but with a lot of the songs, they feel weak or like something is somehow missing. I'm not sure what they were doing differently on the last two records to draw me in, but this one isn't quite having the same effect. That said, the softer songs on the record are by and large some of the best on it, which is interesting.

I forgot to add that "Drone", as I anticipated based solely on the title and the single early review I read that mentioned it, did turn out to be a favorite of mine. Cool guitar work and some interesting vocal moments on that one.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »

Finally dug into the album. It's better than Dinosaurs but that's not saying much. Overall, it's not special. Isn't anywhere near the level of their classic stuff. And I'll add that Black/Blue had some really fine moments; this one doesn't come close to those either.

It makes me wonder about the few songs I DO enjoy off this album. Is it because they are just the best of a bad bunch or are they legitimately great songs. Time will tell how often I come back to it, I suppose.

The thing that's puzzling is that Jerry has always been the main writer in AIC, so even though Layne isn't there anymore, where has that amazing songwriting disappeared to?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 07:50:24 PM »
Think Father Time has something to do with it
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »

Finally dug into the album. It's better than Dinosaurs but that's not saying much. Overall, it's not special. Isn't anywhere near the level of their classic stuff. And I'll add that Black/Blue had some really fine moments; this one doesn't come close to those either.

It makes me wonder about the few songs I DO enjoy off this album. Is it because they are just the best of a bad bunch or are they legitimately great songs. Time will tell how often I come back to it, I suppose.

The thing that's puzzling is that Jerry has always been the main writer in AIC, so even though Layne isn't there anymore, where has that amazing songwriting disappeared to?

Jerry was writing most of it, but Layne wrote some music and nothing can match what he could do with vocal melodies.

I've been through this album a couple times.  I still need more time, but it's better than the STP album IMO.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »
After a few weeks with it, I like it a lot. I would say the STP album has more digestable pop songs, but this is a denser, more serious LP. There's no stand out tracks in particular, it's just a solid, well written album of hard rock.

It's also scored AiC their first ever top 10 UK album.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »

Huh. That's an interesting factoid. Makes sense I guess though, AIC doesn't seem like a band that would have that good of a following on the other side of the pond. Nice that they're charting well, though.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2018, 10:23:57 PM »
After a few weeks with it, I like it a lot. I would say the STP album has more digestable pop songs, but this is a denser, more serious LP. There's no stand out tracks in particular, it's just a solid, well written album of hard rock.

Didn’t realise it hit the top 10 here? They did some shows here a couple months before it’s release though which probably helped secure some pre orders too.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2018, 10:49:15 AM »
Yeah no.9. I missed the tour, they played the night before I went to see Pearl Jam, but I couldn't get down to London in time for the Sunday night.

I was surprised to see that it was their first, they've never been really big here, but I thought Dirt would have scraped the top 10, I remember the singles charting, and buying them in HMV when I was a teenager. Turns out it didn't even make the top 40.

Before this, Black Gives Way to Blue was their only top 20 album even. Jar of Flies made no.4, but it isn't considered offically to be an Album.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »
Yeah no.9. I missed the tour, they played the night before I went to see Pearl Jam, but I couldn't get down to London in time for the Sunday night.

I was surprised to see that it was their first, they've never been really big here, but I thought Dirt would have scraped the top 10, I remember the singles charting, and buying them in HMV when I was a teenager. Turns out it didn't even make the top 40.

Before this, Black Gives Way to Blue was their only top 20 album even. Jar of Flies made no.4, but it isn't considered offically to be an Album.
Not surprised Jar Of Flies charted so high. Exceptional work on their end. Listened to that one often as a teen.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »

I wonder where the 1995 self titled album charted here? I specifically remember buying the CD single for ‘Grind’ from HMV and then later the singles for ‘Heaven Beside You’ which was a 2CD set I believe... They were good times. I had a few of their other singles too. It was mainly live tracks as b sides but I do remember hearing ‘What The Hell Have I’ for the first time on the back of the single for (I think) ‘Down In A Hole’...

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2018, 02:25:11 PM »
According to Wiki it only made no.37. I remember it coming out as well, I bought the double LP, the green vinyl Grind and the white vinyl Heaven Beside You.

Britpop was biting hard by then though, and that album is about as uncommercial as rock albums come.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »

I wonder where the 1995 self titled album charted here? I specifically remember buying the CD single for ‘Grind’ from HMV and then later the singles for ‘Heaven Beside You’ which was a 2CD set I believe... They were good times. I had a few of their other singles too. It was mainly live tracks as b sides but I do remember hearing ‘What The Hell Have I’ for the first time on the back of the single for (I think) ‘Down In A Hole’...

You found "Heaven Beside You" as a single?  Lucky dog.  I still vividly remember going to whatever music store existed in the mall and asking for this and the sales clerk looking at me like I was nuts.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2018, 03:24:50 PM »
It only got a physical release as a promo in the US according to Discogs.

CD & 7" in the UK. I think I might even have both.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »
Yeah I still have a bunch of CD singles boxed up, I’m sure I still have all the AIC, STP and Pearl Jam one’s from back then.
You’re right about Britpop being the thing then, in fact 1995 was the year of the Oasis Vs Blur showdown haha. I liked some songs and albums that came out of that scene but it was always alternative and grunge music (mainly from the states) that was my go to genre.