September 29, 2024, 01:23:27 AM

Author Topic: GnR covering Slither  (Read 6762 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: GnR covering Slither
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 04:16:31 AM »
Good lord Axl, that was awful

Sources

• Ground Personnel
  • Melancholy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 05:38:51 AM »
Axl was pretty terrible, but it was the first go and obviously its the willingness to play any VR that is big.

Something I read on the GNR forums I agree with: Frank on the drums didn't really nail some parts of the song like I'd wished. A lot of the energy of that song builds from those pounding drums going back and forth with Duff's  intro. Slash and Duff obviously aced their parts throughout it all, I bet it was a weird ass deja-vu experience for those two given the circumstances.

I hope they consider improving it and giving it a few more whirls. I think the odds of hearing anything else VR wise like FTP is pretty much zero, so this could be all we get.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 03:17:03 AM »
They’ve played it again and I must say Axl definitely sounds better this time around, especially in the verses.
Check it out -

https://youtu.be/J-koj2lwo0I
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 03:22:33 AM »
That chorus is terrible. I had to stop watching, but as Sources mentioned, Axl's willingness to even play the song is worth some praise.

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 03:30:54 AM »
They’ve played it again and I must say Axl definitely sounds better this time around, especially in the verses.
Check it out -

https://youtu.be/J-koj2lwo0I

Definitely a big improvement.  I think it’s the thought that counts too.  I don’t particularly like their version of Black Hole Sun either, but it’s a nice gesture. 
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 03:31:31 AM »
That chorus is terrible. I had to stop watching, but as Sources mentioned, Axl's willingness to even play the song is worth some praise.

I was thinking he should just let Duff do the chorus
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2018, 03:40:32 AM »

He seems to be singing the verses better now in this second performance which sounds closer to the original but for some reason he’s still singing the chorus in his high pitch and it just doesn’t sound right. I’m not sure if he’s doing that to sort of harmonise with Duff who is singing the chorus in a low voice or wether he’s trying to put his own ‘Axl spin’ on the song but I agree the chorus doesn’t sound very good right now.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:47:14 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2018, 12:27:34 PM »
That sounds a lot better in the second video.  I dont mind the chorus so much, it sounds more like Axl covering VR.  Its definitely been rehearsed more.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2018, 03:10:35 PM »
I dont mind the chorus so much, it sounds more like Axl covering VR. 

+1

I dig it.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Sources

• Ground Personnel
  • Melancholy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 01:47:10 AM »
Third time the charm? @ Download Festival in Donnington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Dt9UGOX9U

Crowd was really into it from the get-go. Axl has gotten better with most the song outside the chorus. The crowd seemed happy to help him out with that part. Talking about the chorus, I'm not expecting it to sound exactly like Scott, that's not the point of a cover. But it doesn't really sound like what I'd imagined an Axl cover to sound like. Still, making progress. Wonder how long it will stay in the setlist rotation?

Scott/VR at the Download festival - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwOxbHNB_xc

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2018, 03:57:38 AM »
Third time the charm? @ Download Festival in Donnington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Dt9UGOX9U

Crowd was really into it from the get-go. Axl has gotten better with most the song outside the chorus. The crowd seemed happy to help him out with that part. Talking about the chorus, I'm not expecting it to sound exactly like Scott, that's not the point of a cover. But it doesn't really sound like what I'd imagined an Axl cover to sound like. Still, making progress. Wonder how long it will stay in the setlist rotation?

Scott/VR at the Download festival - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwOxbHNB_xc

Crowd does seem into it, and they are a huge help on the chorus.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2018, 02:40:33 PM »
Over on some GNR forums people are squawking about Axl's vocal performance too. It's something absurd like 70 pages. He acknowledged several times during the show he was having issues and owned up to "sucking". My thoughts on the Slither cover are that it's pretty damn cool to see them play it in front of that many people. I think if Scott knew Guns N' Roses was playing one of his songs, he'd be content with that.

Re: authentic members; Richard Fortus is actually an amazing guitarist. Saw GNR up real close in 2016 and he was kicking some serious ass.

Not nuts about the performance, but I do have to hand it to Axl that he's been pretty down to Earth since the reunion and all that. At least he acknowledges the state of his voice, and it is pretty cool that he's willing to sing one of Scott's songs.

But if this was indeed an off night, I wish they had waited til Axl's voice was in shape to play this one.

I'll agree with that, I'm surprised this reunion happened at all frankly, much less that it's lasted this long. As for Axl singing VR, I suppose it's fair since Slash has been playing Chinese Democracy songs, same principle I guess. Still, surprising to see "fair" and "gnr" in the same sentence.