September 29, 2024, 05:20:30 AM

Author Topic: GnR covering Slither  (Read 6767 times)

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: GnR covering Slither
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
But then I guess Slash and Duff wouldn't be making nearly as much money as they are now.

Are they making big bucks on the GNR tour? I heard they're not getting paid very much, that's why Izzy didn't come back.
The year they reunited, they made more than any tour that year as I recall.

Not sure how accurate this is.

https://www.alternativenation.net/slash-guns-n-roses-contract-last-minute-demands/

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 12:13:00 AM »
That was really bizarre.  Makes you really appreciate Scott's talent considering Axl is just as accomplished of a singer (of course moreso in his prime) and he really does a poor job here. 

Axl's ruined his voice. His singing style that makes him so unique is just absolute hell on the vocal chords. Even GnR songs sound thin and flat these days. Add to that the fact that Scott's range was well below his, and you get a complete shitshow.

Yeah i love GNR but  Myles Kennedy does a better job than Axl. I would love to hear Jeff tackle this one

I really wish VR had continued on with Myles. Then they could play both GnR and VR material, and probably write some interesting new stuff. But then I guess Slash and Duff wouldn't be making nearly as much money as they are now.
Slash with Myles Kennedy is pretty lame. Those two albums they did are nothing to write home about. Generic, to say the least.

I've seen Slash/Myles and GN'R a few times on their recent tour and it's absolutely no comparison. GN'R blows The Conspirators out of the water.

As for "Slither," it's not bad. It's not Axl's song, so it's weird hearing him sing it. I'd give him a few times to get it rignt.

Oh, and be careful what you write here. That dork who runs Alternative Nation is using your comments for his site.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 12:17:28 AM »
This whole GnR reunion has been a massive letdown, in every possibly way, considering how long awaited and hyped up it was. Don't understand why they wouldn't give Izzy a fair cut, or why neither Sorum or Adler were invited either (ok, I can understand Adler but not Sorum). And if they really felt Izzy was asking for too much, I'm sure at least Gilby Clarke would've taken less?

I was an enormous GnR fan back in the day, and between the state of Axl's voice and the absence of multiple key members of the original lineups, I've had no desire at all to catch them live.
It's Axl, Slash and Duff, the same three core members as there were in 1992/1993, when they were the biggest band in the planet. The only difference is that Frank is there instead of Sorum (who replaced Adler) and Richard is in for Gilby (who replaced Izzy).

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »
This whole GnR reunion has been a massive letdown, in every possibly way, considering how long awaited and hyped up it was. Don't understand why they wouldn't give Izzy a fair cut, or why neither Sorum or Adler were invited either (ok, I can understand Adler but not Sorum). And if they really felt Izzy was asking for too much, I'm sure at least Gilby Clarke would've taken less?

I was an enormous GnR fan back in the day, and between the state of Axl's voice and the absence of multiple key members of the original lineups, I've had no desire at all to catch them live.
It's Axl, Slash and Duff, the same three core members as there were in 1992/1993, when they were the biggest band in the planet. The only difference is that Frank is there instead of Sorum (who replaced Adler) and Richard is in for Gilby (who replaced Izzy).

That’s true... But Axl could sing back then. I’m a big GNR fan and have been since a kid in the late 80’s hearing AFD for the first time but the main letdown of this ‘reunion’ tour for me has been Axl’s vocals which now resemble Mickey Mouse. I saw them in 2006 and 2012 and he sounded so much better even then, he’s lost that rasp he used to have unfortunately. As for the cover of ‘Slither’, it’s nice that he agreed to have a shot at a VR song live but it was rather underwhelming vocally.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 02:32:04 AM »
Axl has always been sort of hit-or-miss (have you seen the UYI concert tapes/dvds?). For a 55 year old rocker, he's still got the goods. He nailed songs like "Thunderstruck" and "Back in Black" when he sang for AC/DC, and those aren't easy to sing.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 04:13:03 AM »
Axl's pretty squawky these days. Cool that he's singing Scott's words, in front of as many people are going to the shows, but he sounds worse than Scott at his worst. Maybe not as bad as Corpus Christi, but preeetty close.
Bleeda blooda

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 01:40:26 PM »

I realize that, but to me, using any Chinese Democracy era guys and calling this a reunion is BS. It's cool to see Slash and Duff up there with Axl again I guess, but it seems half-assed. I never really saw Axl & Friends as a valid iteration of GNR, though I realize others did, so I'm sure there are plenty who may disagree. the tour is clearly doing well enough where people are interested, but I still see it as a missed opportunity for something more massive.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »

I realize that, but to me, using any Chinese Democracy era guys and calling this a reunion is BS. It's cool to see Slash and Duff up there with Axl again I guess, but it seems half-assed. I never really saw Axl & Friends as a valid iteration of GNR, though I realize others did, so I'm sure there are plenty who may disagree. the tour is clearly doing well enough where people are interested, but I still see it as a missed opportunity for something more massive.
Gilby Clarke never wrote or recorded original  material with the band and Sorum was just the drummer. GN'R circa 2018 is as authentic as it was in 1992. The fact that Frank and Richard (who is an awesome player) are holdovers from the Chinese Democracy-era is not really relivant.

I do think that an album of original material would go along way in cementing this lineup.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »

Gilby Clarke never wrote or recorded original  material with the band and Sorum was just the drummer. GN'R circa 2018 is as authentic as it was in 1992. The fact that Frank and Richard (who is an awesome player) are holdovers from the Chinese Democracy-era is not really relivant.

I do think that an album of original material would go along way in cementing this lineup.

Well, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on those two points. I do think putting out a (good) original album with this lineup would go a long way, but I don't see it happening 
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 04:37:13 PM »
Over on some GNR forums people are squawking about Axl's vocal performance too. It's something absurd like 70 pages. He acknowledged several times during the show he was having issues and owned up to "sucking". My thoughts on the Slither cover are that it's pretty damn cool to see them play it in front of that many people. I think if Scott knew Guns N' Roses was playing one of his songs, he'd be content with that.

Re: authentic members; Richard Fortus is actually an amazing guitarist. Saw GNR up real close in 2016 and he was kicking some serious ass.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
Over on some GNR forums people are squawking about Axl's vocal performance too. It's something absurd like 70 pages. He acknowledged several times during the show he was having issues and owned up to "sucking". My thoughts on the Slither cover are that it's pretty damn cool to see them play it in front of that many people. I think if Scott knew Guns N' Roses was playing one of his songs, he'd be content with that.

Re: authentic members; Richard Fortus is actually an amazing guitarist. Saw GNR up real close in 2016 and he was kicking some serious ass.

Not nuts about the performance, but I do have to hand it to Axl that he's been pretty down to Earth since the reunion and all that. At least he acknowledges the state of his voice, and it is pretty cool that he's willing to sing one of Scott's songs.

But if this was indeed an off night, I wish they had waited til Axl's voice was in shape to play this one.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 07:55:00 PM »
Slither is a great song.  Too bad Scott isn't up there singing it with them.  Cool, to see nonetheless.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
That was really bizarre.  Makes you really appreciate Scott's talent considering Axl is just as accomplished of a singer (of course moreso in his prime) and he really does a poor job here. 

Axl's ruined his voice. His singing style that makes him so unique is just absolute hell on the vocal chords. Even GnR songs sound thin and flat these days. Add to that the fact that Scott's range was well below his, and you get a complete shitshow.
No doubt.  Axl this decade is not Axl of the 90s, but as someone that has actually seen GnR live since the reunion, their show does not disappoint.  I get why people bag on Axl's singing, but the guy is 55 and he has a LOT of accomplishments to his name. The guy had a 5 octave range at one point.  His vocal style was never going to last forever, its impressive to me he's still able to get out there right now. 

My bizarre comment is more centered on how it sounds strange having someone with a much higher register (and very different tone) singing Slither.  No disrespect to Axl here.  If anything it just goes to show how underrated Scott is in the R&R world. 

Yeah i love GNR but  Myles Kennedy does a better job than Axl. I would love to hear Jeff tackle this one

I really wish VR had continued on with Myles. Then they could play both GnR and VR material, and probably write some interesting new stuff. But then I guess Slash and Duff wouldn't be making nearly as much money as they are now.
I wish VR had continued on with somebody, but I am not a fan of Myles.  Not sure who the right guy would have been.  Myles has a good voice, but his style just doesn't work for me with VR's music. 

I thought Izzy turned it down because Axl, Slash, and Duff were unwilling to give him a share equal to theres.

Whatever the case, there is no way Slash would be on this tour this long if he isn't making more than he was as his own headline. And this tour has made hundreds of millions of dollars... Whatever Slash's pecentage, the actual number is quite substantial.
I recall the exact same.  There was an article about this as some point.  The splits are not even.  Axl gets the most, followed by Slash, then Duff.  I'm not sure of the exact percentages, but I want to say it was something like 27%/23%/18% just for the big 3.  I can understand why Izzy wouldn't want to be a "lesser member" contractually, but if it was me, I'd still do it.  This tour is making money hand over fist and the fans really want to see him.  I'd like to see Sorum make some appearances like Adler did, but I get the impression there is bad blood with him and Axl.   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:55:00 PM by Aaron »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
Axl has always been sort of hit-or-miss (have you seen the UYI concert tapes/dvds?). For a 55 year old rocker, he's still got the goods. He nailed songs like "Thunderstruck" and "Back in Black" when he sang for AC/DC, and those aren't easy to sing.

That’s true, those Tokyo shows were pretty horrible and I can’t believe that from the whole UYI tour that’s what Geffen and the band chose to officially release. My go to pro shot show from that tour is Paris ‘92, I’ve watched that so many times since it was televised back in the 90’s. That to me is the whole band on top form but there are many other shows from that tour online which are great too.

I agree with those saying Fortus is better than Gilby. He’s insanely talented and I’m glad they kept him, especially since Izzy isn’t coming back any time soon.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 02:20:53 AM »
Cool read.  This author is certainly in tune with STP and Scott related stuff.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/velvet-revolver-scott-weiland-gnr-reunite-2012-benefit-gig-w521103