September 28, 2024, 03:19:09 PM

Author Topic: Happy Birthday S/T 2010... 8 years old today!  (Read 7422 times)

thecrowtv

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday S/T 2010... 8 years old today!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
This album is still disappointing to this day. I had high expectations for this CD.  I only listened to this CD in full once.   First Kiss on Mars is the only song from this album that is on my iPhone.  I wanted to like this CD so bad, but couldn't. 

There is probably a reason why they don't play anything from this CD with Jeff.  Sorry to say but I prefer Butterfly over Peace.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 03:34:34 PM »
At times I love the record when I listened to it... then seconds later I felt I was hearing some of the worst written stuff ever. Like some of you said there are really neat moments, but it’s very clunky all through it.

Whereas other albums flow so well. This stood out

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »
Love, love, love, LOVE this album!!  For me, it beats out SLDD, No. 4 and S/T 2018, and is the fourth best album of their career by far.  Seriously tired of hearing people bash it.  At the time I felt like I couldn't have asked for anything more from their comeback album and I still feel that way.  I'm not the only one I know that feels this way too (wife, friends).

Saying there are songs on here that are some of the worst songs ever written is completely asinine. 

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 11:19:01 PM »
By anyone else's standards, a decent effort. By STP standards, embarrassing. Nice to see some love for Cinnamon, pop smarts were the unheralded strength of the group. Dean's playing was great but only Peacoat provided the tension between group and vocalist that had previously been automatic. And that was the track Scott was surprised was included! Talk about disconnect.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 11:41:11 PM »
The album is getting some love on the Facebook post on Stone Temple Pilots by Octano page celebrating its 8th birthday...

“One of the most unfairly underrated alt rock albums by any major band to emerge from the 90s
GREAT album”

“I love the entire record, their new one it will have to grow on me”

Are just some of the comments. Also it received good reviews from critics upon release from what I remember. I feel like this album gets some love outside of these boards haha.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 01:08:58 AM »
Listening to it again because of this thread.  I think its a solid effort.  Some really nice moments, though.  What's missing is a great rockin single.  As an example, Slither was a great song that catapulted VR.  Between the Lines doesn't come close to cutting it........       

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »
Dean's playing was great but only Peacoat provided the tension between group and vocalist that had previously been automatic. And that was the track Scott was surprised was included! Talk about disconnect.

Interesting, I'd say the exact opposite. I've always felt the vocals and music clashed pretty heavily in the verses. The chorus is cohesive enough, but the fact they recorded separately has always been most noticeable for me here. Guess the disconnect extends to the fans on this one.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 07:05:26 PM »
I guess I'm in the minority of who really likes this album It's ranks praob 6th for me overall but I think it's a strong power pop rock album.  Only songs I usually skip are Peacoat, Cinnamon and Huckleberry (which has grown on me over time though).  Also it produced one of their best music videos, that's not saying much,  for Between the Lines, and again in the minority b/c I think the song's great as well

Also it's a great driving album, b/c it flows so well. Out of the times I've listened to it 95% has been while in the car.

I remember buying the deluxe version, which I've since lost,  online around its release and the regular version day of at the ole record shop.  Peace
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »

“One of the most unfairly underrated alt rock albums by any major band to emerge from the 90s
GREAT album”

Complete bullshit.  Whoever said that must be hoping the band will be reading what they wrote. 

"underrated"   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 01:27:21 AM »

GREAT album”

Complete bullshit.  Whoever said that must be hoping the band will be reading what they wrote. 

Compared to their earlier albums the peace album wasn't as good. However compared to most other rock records peace is underrated.

ejsme

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 03:15:41 AM »
I'll admit I haven't read everyone's comments yet. But for me, the weak point of STP - Peace Album - Self-Titled was actually Scott's lyrics. He's one of my favorite lyricists/singers of all time but I think that by that time he'd gotten too literal with his lyrics. I missed the "word soup" poetic lyrics from the past. Sonically, it still had all the elements of the classic STP albums but I missed the abstract poetry. I feel like the last time SW wrote like that was some of the first VR album. But it's still better than most other artists' albums from that time. But it's my least favorite STP album, even 1 point less than the new one with Jeff Gutt.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »

GREAT album”

Compared to their earlier albums the peace album wasn't as good. However compared to most other rock records peace is underrated.

Compared to most alt rock albums by major bands from the 90s?

That claim in itself is pretty hard to quantify.  I don't know if this person meant albums from the 90s these bands released, or albums released by bands from the 90s. 

Either way, no albums are jumping out at me as something "Peace" is underrated in comparison to.

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 04:35:32 PM »
Yea that statement isn't clear at all
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »
The quote confuses me as well. I don't feel like there are too many bands left from that era unless we want to count Pearl Jam and the AIC revival. I really don't want to get into a conversation about Smash Mouth or Sugar Ray either.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
Yeah the quote doesn’t make much sense and although STP are my favourite band I’d argue Alice In Chains and Soundgarden both released stronger ‘comeback’ albums in ‘Black Gives Way to Blue’ and ‘King Animal’.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long