October 01, 2024, 08:18:58 PM

Author Topic: New album rankings (including Butterfly)  (Read 9964 times)

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: New album rankings (including Butterfly)
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2018, 02:18:21 AM »

OK, let’s do this for real. Rank all STP Type Things, including primary other bands the guys were in. You can get a sense of my STP album rankings by combing through. This is clearly done with the advantage of hindsight:

Purple: clearly number 1. Wouldn’t think of anything else.

Core: way too many hits to be elsewhere and, as a plus, has some interesting art (No Memory and Wet My Bed).

Contraband: this time, early Purple Tour and the No. 4 period were peak Scott, especially at live shows. I argued at the time on this board that Scott should stay in VR and AoA keep going. I thought that was better for them and STP fans. Not sure I was wrong post SLDD.

I see you not only have Contraband as 3rd overall which is mind-boggling, but you also have it on your list twice.  Great list.

Clearly a mistake. My bad. I meant the second VR album listed to be Libertad. Sorry it was so confusing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:29:27 AM by Long Way Home »

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2018, 02:38:17 AM »
Just remembered, by the way. You know who Rick Rubin was replaced with during the recording of Libertad, helping the band achieve that more cohesive, considered sound?

Mr. Brendan O'Brien. Hmm.

I think you are on to something here for the next STP album. Can we start a go fund me to reunite O’Brien and STP? ;-)

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2018, 08:42:20 AM »
STP albums are probably going to sell about 50,000 copies total from now on, so I really don't see them ever recording with Brendan again.

I know you are only joking anyway, but I think the band would have too much pride to take fans' money to hire a producer.

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »
Very true and great point.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
STP albums are probably going to sell about 50,000 copies total from now on, so I really don't see them ever recording with Brendan again.
This is the exact problem.  Brendan is a prolific producer (deservedly so) and won't come cheap. Not to mention producers commonly get a cut of album sales.  Given STPs current sales figures (and sales of rock albums in general), its pretty unlikely Brendan returns, although it would be amazing. 

Velvet Revolver was in a different place at the time of Libertad and was FAR more popular then than STP is now. 

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »

This is the exact problem.  Brendan is a prolific producer (deservedly so) and won't come cheap. Not to mention producers commonly get a cut of album sales.  Given STPs current sales figures (and sales of rock albums in general), its pretty unlikely Brendan returns, although it would be amazing. 

Velvet Revolver was in a different place at the time of Libertad and was FAR more popular then than STP is now. 

Also a big difference when you have a deal with a top record label who can also pull strings and assist financially with getting you a top producer.

However IMO, at this point, even if O'Brien were to offer his services for free, I don't think the DeLeo's would take him up on it.  They seem to pride themselves on their ability to produce themselves.

I don't think they've done a bad job at it really, I just think it closes you off to getting some valuable input from someone outside the band.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2018, 06:05:54 PM »
It sounds OK production wise. I am no expert, but it has some life. Better than Peace or High Rise, but then you would hope they were getting better at it, not worse.

Strange thing is, the Talk Show album just says "produced by Talk Show", which presumably means the Deleos and Eric mostly, and that album sounds WAY better than Peace, High Rise or Butterfly, but it's only the 4th album they made.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »
I don't think they've done a bad job at it really, I just think it closes you off to getting some valuable input from someone outside the band.

Very much agree with everything you said, but especially.  I think STP just needs another cook in the kitchen.  My guess is just that the band is kind of "hive mind" at this point, and they just need someone to step in and challenge them to look at each song again more closely.  I think this album could easily go from a 7 to an 8/9 with the right guy at the helm.  Doesn't have to be a big name guy, really, but the extra set of ears would help. 

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2018, 12:29:29 AM »
It sounds OK production wise. I am no expert, but it has some life. Better than Peace or High Rise, but then you would hope they were getting better at it, not worse.

Strange thing is, the Talk Show album just says "produced by Talk Show", which presumably means the Deleos and Eric mostly, and that album sounds WAY better than Peace, High Rise or Butterfly, but it's only the 4th album they made.

I agree and I'd give a lot of the credit for that to Jack Joseph Puig for the mixing.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2018, 02:37:50 AM »
I honestly think the production and mixing was better on High Rise than Butterfly. The instruments are much clearer, the bass isn't muddled in the mix and the guitar tracks don't bleed together. I really think it's the mix that messed them up.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2018, 03:52:49 PM »
I honestly think the production and mixing was better on High Rise than Butterfly. The instruments are much clearer, the bass isn't muddled in the mix and the guitar tracks don't bleed together. I really think it's the mix that messed them up.
I'd probably agree with that, there's some weird compression going on with the drums in particular on Butterfly. Snares sounding shallow and lifeless, cymbals cutting into Jeff's vocals, etc. The mix is not Metallica levels of bad, but it is noticeable.

Dudertron

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
Totally get everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I’m baffled by how some of you guys can put Butterfly above Purple or SLDD. Anyway, Butterfly is a very distant last place for me.

1. Tiny Music
2. Purple
3. SLDD
4. Peace
5. Core
6. No. 4 (I will say this - STP *touring* during this era was my fave)
7. High Rise
8. Butterfly

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2018, 12:41:47 AM »
Totally get everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I’m baffled by how some of you guys can put Butterfly above Purple or SLDD. Anyway, Butterfly is a very distant last place for me.

... he said before ranking Peace above both Core and No.4. lol

Like you said, everyone's entitled to an opinion.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2018, 02:25:32 AM »
1. SLDD
2. No. 4
3. Purple
4. Core
5. Tiny

Peace

Butterfly

Dudertron

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2018, 02:59:28 AM »

... he said before ranking Peace above both Core and No.4. lol

Like you said, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Don’t get me wrong. I wore Core out for years... I just rank Peace slightly higher because I’m playing it more these days.