October 01, 2024, 08:31:57 PM

Author Topic: New album rankings (including Butterfly)  (Read 9971 times)

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: New album rankings (including Butterfly)
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2018, 02:16:21 AM »

I am quite amazed that anybody could rate Peace higher than this album, the commitment to the material and attention to detail absolutely shines on this LP, it beats the crap out of Peace and then walks off laughing.

I hear a band absolutely rejuvenated, versus a band simply trudging through the motions. It's like the difference between night and day.

I think there's a tendency in hindsight to the let the state the band was in during the Peace era and all the stories we've heard influence our opinion of it. Despite the weird dynamic of Scott recording separately from the rest of the band, I think it's a mistake to view the album as something they did out of obligation rather than passion. I, likewise, don't understand how anybody could listen to a song like First Kiss On Mars or Maver and say "this is a band that doesn't give a shit". Or how anyone could listen to Dean's guitar work on Between The Lines or Huckleberry Crumble and say he's uninspired.

Are there things I like better about Butterfly than Peace? Sure. I think on certain songs they do sound more energized than on Peace, and the album as a whole has more of an identity. But I also think the production severely hampers the sound. Additionally, I think after so much was made about how Peace was not "true to STP", they made a concerted effort to recreate their sludgier sound from the early days (see: Roll Me Under, Six Eight) and as a result, some of these songs sounds dated and stale. Personally, if I wanted to hear Core, I'd listen to Core.

Peace is not my favorite STP album, not by a longshot, but it's less linear and one dimensional than Butterfly. And for me, that makes all the difference.

Sorry to throw stones here, Slither, but can you explain what you mean?

Peace is less linear? Peace has more of an identity? I'm truthfully not understanding what that truly means. I don't see Peace as having any sort of identity, not a positive one. I see it as an album that is truly disconnected. It's disconnected from the audience, from the band itself, and from one song to the others. If Peace has an identity, what does Purple or Core have? And if you're going to say people dislike the album based on stories they heard, I have to say you may not be willing to assign the album a negative rating simply because it's our beloved STP. I'd be willing to grade the album in a more charitable way had this group not written their first five albums, but because of those brilliant albums, I won't make excuses for them. I just don't think hearing stories has much to do with it. I've been hearing negative stories about this band since 1995 and it never influenced my taste in their music.

I think people don't like Peace based on several elements: the music, the lyrics, the melody, and the fact that it's obvious the band was not working together cohesively. You can hear the disconnect in the final presentation as it sounds like everyone is doing something different.

I would hardly say this is a band that doesn't give a shit or they are uninspiring, but I will say the album just sounds bad. I counted on this band to deliver good work on their sixth album and in my view (and most people's) they completely failed.

Believe it or not, I am glad you like some of the material, but I've also asked several times here why this band has purposely ignored what some people are calling a good album, not playing even a single song from it on this tour with Jeff. Why? As someone who seems to defend the record, I'm generally curious if you have any ideas. Let's throw High Rise in there too since it's getting the same treatment.

You're not throwing stones, but to address your questions one by one -

Peace has more of an identity? I'm truthfully not understanding what that truly means. I don't see Peace as having any sort of identity, not a positive one.

If you re-read what I wrote, it's actually Butterfly I'm referring to as having more of an identity, so I think we're on the same page there.

I have to say you may not be willing to assign the album a negative rating simply because it's our beloved STP. I'd be willing to grade the album in a more charitable way had this group not written their first five albums, but because of those brilliant albums, I won't make excuses for them

Agreed again, I think the first 5 albums are far and away better than Peace. My initial comment was in response to Pingfah saying how he didn't understand how anyone could possibly like Peace over Butterfly. I don't think Peace stands up to the initial 5, but I don't think it's as terrible as some people make it out to be.

I also asked several times here why this band has purposely ignored what some people are calling a good album, not playing even a single song from it on this tour with Jeff. Why? As someone who seems to defend the record, I'm generally curious if you have any ideas. Let's throw High Rise in there too since it's getting the same treatment.

I think it's just because neither album did that well commercially or with the fans, not necessarily because of how they feel about them personally. I'll point to this performance as evidence they had a blast performing the new songs off Peace and have no reservations about the final product they put out -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsxWCYXghU

There's more energy in that performance than in any show they've done since Butterfly. Just look at Dean!

So again, I'm not making Peace out to be Abbey Road or anything, I'm just saying it gets too much hate. I do agree it sounds a bit disconnected, which I even admitted earlier, but I disagree with the extent of it. With the exception of Peacoat which is truly an awkward arrangement, this is not an album you'd point to and say "this was recorded with musicians in different places" unless you knew that fact beforehand. I'm sure there are people who didn't like this album from day 1, but I've definitely noticed a shifting of sentiment on this board regarding the album since some of the more negative stories regarding the recording process have come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsxWCYXghU

There's more energy in that performance than in any show they've done since Butterfly. Just look at Dean!

Don't forget, that show was almost 10 years ago though.

Heres the full show...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_htaF5IfDwo

I wanna add...were all human, including the band...so anything anyone might see from this concert compared to others (like Deans energy), you gotta remember that they know the show is being pro-filmed. I've never thought the band ever played with a lack of energy, but man, watching this show...it almost breaks my heart. Scott was such a shell of himself...and that was 2010.

He literally looks like he is gonna have a heart attack or collapse in some moments, or forget his words in another. And the voice is declined as well...I am so thankful I was old enough to enjoy the No.4 era...the band was firing on all cylinders.

But thinking about the band as a whole....I cant imagine how difficult it was for Robert, Eric, and Dean. Scott there...but not really. Tough...just tough.

About comparing the two self-titled albums, musically, on paper, conceptually, whatever, Self titled 10 just nudges Butterfly...because I think in a healthy state, that album had the framework is be really really good. So I think the butterfly album had a process to carefully craft the songs and get as most of them as possible, leaving the final product in a much better place that self-titled 10.

S/T 10 is a neglected, poorly painted Dodge Charger Lemon. 
S/T 18 is a suped up, show room displayed Dodge Avenger.

lol maybe thats a bit off, but for me, it works lol.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2018, 03:04:08 AM »
Anything with Scott is better than without. 

1) Core
2) Purple
3) Tiny Music
4 Number 4
5 Shang La
6 STP 2010 
7 Army of Anyone
8 High Rise
9 STP 2018
10 Talk Show

I liked STP 2010.  I liked Begman thought it was cool song.  The whole album was good I thought.  Like I said before anything with Scott is better than without Scott. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 03:08:29 AM by rocker rockstar »

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2018, 03:12:32 AM »

1) Core
2) Purple
3) Tiny Music
4 Number 4
5 Shang La
6 STP 2010 
7 Army of Anyone
8 High Rise
9 STP 2018
10 Talk Show

I liked STP 2010.  I liked Begman thought it was cool song.  The whole album was good I thought.  Like I said before anything with Scott is better than without Scott.

Apparently STP just got worse as time went on according to that list  ;D

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »

1) Core
2) Purple
3) Tiny Music
4 Number 4
5 Shang La
6 STP 2010 
7 Army of Anyone
8 High Rise
9 STP 2018
10 Talk Show

Apparently STP just got worse as time went on according to that list  ;D
Some people I know and many casual listeners would absolutely make that argument.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2018, 06:46:53 AM »
My official list

1.) Core A+
2.) Purple A+
3.) No.4 A-
4.) Tiny A-
5.) SLDD B+
6.) 2018 B
7.) 2010 C+

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2018, 07:58:13 AM »
I am quite amazed that anybody could rate Peace higher than this album, the commitment to the material and attention to detail absolutely shines on this LP, it beats the crap out of Peace and then walks off laughing.

I hear a band absolutely rejuvenated, versus a band simply trudging through the motions. It's like the difference between night and day.

I think there's a tendency in hindsight to the let the state the band was in during the Peace era and all the stories we've heard influence our opinion of it. Despite the weird dynamic of Scott recording separately from the rest of the band, I think it's a mistake to view the album as something they did out of obligation rather than passion. I, likewise, don't understand how anybody could listen to a song like First Kiss On Mars or Maver and say "this is a band that doesn't give a shit". Or how anyone could listen to Dean's guitar work on Between The Lines or Huckleberry Crumble and say he's uninspired.

Are there things I like better about Butterfly than Peace? Sure. I think on certain songs they do sound more energized than on Peace, and the album as a whole has more of an identity. But I also think the production severely hampers the sound. Additionally, I think after so much was made about how Peace was not "true to STP", they made a concerted effort to recreate their sludgier sound from the early days (see: Roll Me Under, Six Eight) and as a result, some of these songs sounds dated and stale. Personally, if I wanted to hear Core, I'd listen to Core.

Peace is not my favorite STP album, not by a longshot, but it's less linear and one dimensional than Butterfly. And for me, that makes all the difference.

Equally, I am not saying Peace is a total loss, that there's no good work on it, or that it has no merit, but it doesn't feel like an album to me, just a collection of songs, some of which are very poor, some of which have some good ideas but just don't click into full STP mode, and a small handful that are really excellent. Sure they put on some good shows, I saw them twice during the reunion and Peace tour and they were on fire both times. But that doesn't reflect on the album, STP were on fire every time they got on a stage with a functioning Weiland, all through their career.

But on a more basic level, when I listen to this album, it puts a huge smile on my face because it sparkles with life, and you can tell that not only did the band want to make an album that was a cohesive work, but that they were actually capable of it. It's just the feeling I get, the band sound truly alive, whereas on Peace they sound awkward and depressed. Nothing has coloured my opinion of Peace except the 7 years of listening to the album itself, and the perspective that this album puts it in. I mean, Bagman, for instance. Just the fact that that song exists, and was deemed worthy of inclusion is a big giveaway to how the band was feeling about making that album. Deans's guitar might be nifty on Huckleberry Crumble, but the song as a whole is a bland Aerosmith knockoff and Scott's "talk singing" vocals which he does a lot of on Peace just sound like they have zero thought or effort gone into them. Have you heard the isolated vocals for Between the Lines? Give them a listen, Scott's vocals are just plain lazy, he's not even trying to hold a tune, and is completely carried by the rest of the track. Most of the album sounds like that to me, an OK album by most people's standards, a very poor one by the standard STP had set to that point. Not just Scott's fault, nobody brings it consistently on that LP.

Anyway, I'm not saying you are wrong to feel how you do, it's all just opinion, I just can't understand personally how this album doesn't  light you up compared to Peace, it does for me. I don't feel it is one dimensional at all, they have expended so much effort in the details on this album, there's not a hint of Bagman anywhere to be found.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2018, 09:03:29 AM »
Alright, this is going to be tough.

Shangri La De Da

Tiny Music

No. 4

Purple

Core

High Rise

If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2018, 06:39:41 PM »

Equally, I am not saying Peace is a total loss, that there's no good work on it, or that it has no merit, but it doesn't feel like an album to me, just a collection of songs, some of which are very poor, some of which have some good ideas but just don't click into full STP mode, and a small handful that are really excellent. Sure they put on some good shows, I saw them twice during the reunion and Peace tour and they were on fire both times. But that doesn't reflect on the album, STP were on fire every time they got on a stage with a functioning Weiland, all through their career.

But on a more basic level, when I listen to this album, it puts a huge smile on my face because it sparkles with life, and you can tell that not only did the band want to make an album that was a cohesive work, but that they were actually capable of it. It's just the feeling I get, the band sound truly alive, whereas on Peace they sound awkward and depressed. Nothing has coloured my opinion of Peace except the 7 years of listening to the album itself, and the perspective that this album puts it in. I mean, Bagman, for instance. Just the fact that that song exists, and was deemed worthy of inclusion is a big giveaway to how the band was feeling about making that album. Deans's guitar might be nifty on Huckleberry Crumble, but the song as a whole is a bland Aerosmith knockoff and Scott's "talk singing" vocals which he does a lot of on Peace just sound like they have zero thought or effort gone into them. Have you heard the isolated vocals for Between the Lines? Give them a listen, Scott's vocals are just plain lazy, he's not even trying to hold a tune, and is completely carried by the rest of the track. Most of the album sounds like that to me, an OK album by most people's standards, a very poor one by the standard STP had set to that point. Not just Scott's fault, nobody brings it consistently on that LP.

Anyway, I'm not saying you are wrong to feel how you do, it's all just opinion, I just can't understand personally how this album doesn't  light you up compared to Peace, it does for me. I don't feel it is one dimensional at all, they have expended so much effort in the details on this album, there's not a hint of Bagman anywhere to be found.

I'm going to throw the idea out there that of all the members of this STP group, I'm unsure if there is anyone who dislikes Peace more than I do. I'm not necessarily happy about this as I did have high hopes for the album, hoping it would signify the return of STP.

I still remember being in college and hearing 30-second leaks of each song when I was sitting in the library. I grabbed my headphones and listened again and then again and then again. I actually hoped the leaks were fake, belonging to a different band entirely. This was STP? And this is what we get after SLDD? The band had always been through a lot of drama, breakups, and temporary separations. However, this was the first record where it was completely evident that there was a major problem and you could hear it in the music. This was a different group who had devolved musically. The music felt really sloppy and there was no relationship between one song to the next. STP was always really great at releasing these sort of albums that flowed really well. I would say Tiny Music and Purple achieve this. However, this record felt like a bunch of songs smashed together with no relationship to one another.

After hearing the leaks, buying the album, and listening to everything all the way through, I began listening to and discovering new groups because I really felt like STP had let me down. Maybe I shouldn't have put the emotions of my life so much in STP's hands, but their albums got me through some difficult times and even helped raised me and when I think back on my childhood, STP was at the forefront. Therefore, when they released what they did, which felt like an absolute careless effort, I attempted to move past the situation as if I had suffered a bad breakup.

I could not find love for any of the songs and they all seemed really random. Huckleberry Crumble? Hickory Dichotomy? Bagman? You have got to be kidding me... I would expect this joke of an album (song titles included) to come from Green Day or The Bloodhound Gang, but not STP.

As the days went on, I realized the band was actually serious and that was hard for me to swallow. As time went on I basically ignored the album as I do today, considering it a hiccup in their journey. Hoping the album would grow on me as time passed, which it did not, I still skip over it completely when listening to STP. It's just not an effort I am willing to remove my expectations for. Others have made great points as to why they may like or dislike the record, but more than anything, there was not a single song that stood out, not one track that moved me whereas on every other album they made, I not only liked the songs, but there was one track that I could pick out, which completely rejuvenated all feelings I had for falling in love with the band in the first place: And So I Know, Wonderful, Atlanta, All In The Suit That You Wear, Sin, Lounge Fly, and I Thought She'd Be Mine. Peace was not only missing the initial immediate love for each song, but was also missing the one track others may have skipped over, but that I completely fell in love with.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:46:01 PM by loungefly90 »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »
Yeah, idk guys. I guess Peace will just always be a polarizing album in STP history and we’ll just have to agree to disagree on how far below the previous 5 it falls. It does sound different from previous STP albums, but it had been 10 years since the last one. I’m not sure I really level with the idea of what STP should sound like anyway. How many similarities does Tiny Music have with Core? SLDD with Purple? When I first heard it, I didn’t necessarily think it stood up to the previous 5 albums, but I also never really expected that it would, all things considered. I sorta felt like “this is what STP should sound like in 2010.”  I have my issues with the album, and there are things like how Scott layered his vocals you could certainly criticize and call “lazy”, but at the end of the day to me it just sounded like modern STP. Though I can see how that could turn off some of us diehards.

Also, the comparison of Peace to the bloodhound gang is quite disingenuous. I agree the album could have flowed better, which probably could have been achieved had they all actually been in the same room, but come on.

It could be my expectations were just lower. I never expected vintage STP after everything they had been through and how long it had been since they really clicked. I just felt it was a miracle they were putting anything out at all.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
All this Peace album talked as recently inspired me to listen to it the last few days.

For this album, I break the 12 songs into 3 categories for quality.

Category one is your standard STP song...and this has a big personal range for me...from love it...to...eh...its ok, still STP, but not blown away.

Category two is songs that just missed the mark...for this album, it would be songs that I feel were mostly impacted by Scott not recording with the rest of the band and would probably sound much different if the recording was a healthier process.

Category three...just not enjoyable, regardless of how you spin if, cant understand how it made it to the album.

So for category one...its most of the album for me. These songs pass the test for me as a genuine STP effort, regardless of if any of these songs are on my all time list.

Between the Lines
Huckleberry Crumble
Dare if you Dare
Hazy Daze
Peacoat
Fast As I Can
First Kiss
Maver

Then category two...could of been something songs... I got Take a Load Off and Hickory Dichotomy.  Songs seem disconnected and more of shells of ideas that could of been much more impactful. Brendan O"Brien would have never of let "Take of Load Off" repeat 6 times...my god.

Category three...the what the hell happened songs....Cinnamon and Bagman....good ideas gone bad?   One person's idea not held in check? Again, O'Brien....

So even if you disagree with me and think the album is weaker that my analysis, the fact that I am putting 4 of 12 songs on an STP album in question, I can see how people who don't enjoy the category 1 songs would given even a lower approval rating......were not even used to disliking 4/12, especially with the first 5 releases.

But I do honestly enjoy 8 out of the 12 songs on the album, which is more that I can say for a lot of other artist albums. 

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2018, 10:01:08 PM »
Yeah, idk guys. I guess Peace will just always be a polarizing album in STP history and we’ll just have to agree to disagree on how far below the previous 5 it falls. It does sound different from previous STP albums, but it had been 10 years since the last one. I’m not sure I really level with the idea of what STP should sound like anyway. How many similarities does Tiny Music have with Core? SLDD with Purple? When I first heard it, I didn’t necessarily think it stood up to the previous 5 albums, but I also never really expected that it would, all things considered. I sorta felt like “this is what STP should sound like in 2010.”  I have my issues with the album, and there are things like how Scott layered his vocals you could certainly criticize and call “lazy”, but at the end of the day to me it just sounded like modern STP. Though I can see how that could turn off some of us diehards.

Also, the comparison of Peace to the bloodhound gang is quite disingenuous. I agree the album could have flowed better, which probably could have been achieved had they all actually been in the same room, but come on.

It could be my expectations were just lower. I never expected vintage STP after everything they had been through and how long it had been since they really clicked. I just felt it was a miracle they were putting anything out at all.

The comparison to the Bloodhound Gang only has to do with the song titles seeming somewhat random and humorous almost. It was hard to take them seriously. I was not comparing music ability or delivery. Without a doubt, STP is the more professional of the two. Perhaps I should have clarified that.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2018, 07:36:35 PM »
It's really interesting to see all the negativity towards the Peace album these days. When the album first came out, the reaction from this board was mostly positive. I remember a handful of people who dismissed it, but I would venture to say that the vast majority approved.

I will say that I don't think the album has aged well at all. At the time, I was really gravitating towards other bands like My Morning Jacket, Okkervill River, Bon Iver, Deftones, Baroness, The Sword, etc., who I felt were putting out quality material. Plus, we were just excited to get ANYTHING STP related that whatever was released we ate up! But like most, I rarely listen to it these days besides Cinnamon, FKOM, and Maver.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

BillMurraylovesSTP

• Im streets ahead
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2018, 01:04:33 AM »
I like the peace album better than the new album , I’m glad STP 3.0 exists but the only weak song on the peace album is cinnamon imo

Ok I’m running 🏃 to hid
I just think because the butterfly 🦋 albums new that’s why people think it’s better ..
follow me on
@Jrlthinks on instagram
@lakethinks twitter

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2018, 03:29:04 AM »
OK, let’s do this for real. Rank all STP Type Things, including primary other bands the guys were in. You can get a sense of my STP album rankings by combing through. This is clearly done with the advantage of hindsight:

Purple: clearly number 1. Wouldn’t think of anything else.

Core: way too many hits to be elsewhere and, as a plus, has some interesting art (No Memory and Wet My Bed).

Contraband: this time, early Purple Tour and the No. 4 period were peak Scott, especially at live shows. I argued at the time on this board that Scott should stay in VR and AoA keep going. I thought that was better for them and STP fans. Not sure I was wrong post SLDD.

No. 4: if you had to point to one album to show off STPs diversity, this would be it.

SLDD: great individual songs. Just a little off when put all together. It’s almost like “we have so much great stuff and we don’t know what to do with it and rap-metal is big now and holy crap if this was released at the same time as the Smashing Pumpkins “Melancholy...” we would be considered freaking geniuses, but instead we still have to put up with shit Rolling Stone reviews 16 years later.”

Talk Show: Scott often said this was 3/4 to greatness. It’s also better than anything he did outside of Contraband.

AoA: this was a good album. Can’t for the life of me figure out why it didn’t do much better. Not mega hit better, just a lot better than it did. Felt like “Doesn’t Seem...” should have been first single. They were so damn good live and seemed to truly enjoy each other.

Butterfly: this one may not hold. It is a good record and growing on me, but I think I am probably rating it so high because I am happy for the band and happy for us fans. We all deserve this time to enjoy and Jeff seems to be a class act who actually cares.

Contraband: Rick Rubin was right: they got lazy and needed to work harder. They were probably not in good shape as individuals or a band and missed out on a longer career together and Scott and Sorum missed out on being set for life. Kushner is so underrated.

Blaster: terrible album title. Really good rock album by three complete druggies and a solid drummer. The album is clarity in the midst of chaos. Modzilla is one of the best opening riffs I have ever come across; was this Scott’s best lyrical contribution during the last 5-10 years of his life on a rocker?

Tiny Music: yeah I said it. This album is way down the list now. It used to be No. 2. Love love love this album. “BBB” or “7 Caged Tigers” are in running for my fav STP song of all time. I would pay $100 for a 20 minute version of Press Play. Now all it does is remind of Scott’s downfall.

12BB: See Tiny Music. “Lady...”, “Desperation...” and “Divider” are so good though.

Happy in Galoshes: See 12BB. Close to the begining of the end. Love “Tangle with my mind” and several others.

Peace: I’ll take “Huckleberry...”, “Dare if you Dare” and “Maver”. You can have the rest.

Art of Anarchy: barf. Reeks of Scott being desperate. He was.

This was fun. What do you all think?

Later edit: I just realized I put Butterfly smack in the middle, not done intentionally. Interesting that it ended up there though. Favs right now are “Just A Little Lie”, “Six Eight”, “Never Enough”, “Art of...” and “Reds & Blues”.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:42:51 AM by Long Way Home »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »

Tiny Music: yeah I said it. This album is way down the list now. It used to be No. 2. Love love love this album. “BBB” or “7 Caged Tigers” are in running for my fav STP song of all time. I would pay $100 for a 20 minute version of Press Play. Now all it does is remind of Scott’s downfall.

12BB: See Tiny Music. “Lady...”, “Desperation...” and “Divider” are so good though.

Wow, I'm really glad I don't make those sorts of connections between my feelings about life and music.  I love Tiny Music and 12BB far too much to let Scott's fate spoil my enjoyment of them. Two of the best rock albums ever made. I could never conceive of marking them down because they remind me of bad memories.

Incidentally, if you get the Music On Vinyl release of Tiny Music, they forgot to fade Press Play out and it goes on for 4 minutes.