October 01, 2024, 11:27:03 PM

Author Topic: New album rankings (including Butterfly)  (Read 9974 times)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: New album rankings (including Butterfly)
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 02:16:56 PM »
Peace was a decent album for any other band but not with STP's musical chops. Everyone seemed to be phoning it in. Just look at blaster and high rise they both showed a real effort and urgency to regain form. Peace felt more like to parties that were just not interested in working together any more but had too. It's not terrible but it's also not great

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
1. Purple
2. Core
4. Tiny Music
5. Shangri La De Da
6. Butterfly
7. Peace

SLDD looks low at #5, but I can't justify putting it before any of the 90s albums, or #4.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 03:12:08 PM »
The new album just came out, a tad to early for me to add to these lists but...

..shouldnt Talk Show be included? Its basically the same situation as Butterfly aside from what theyre calling themselves hmmmm? :)

I am interested to see where people rank Talk Show amongst these, as well as High Rise and Army of Anyone, but that is for another thread. For this one, I wanted to keep it simple: full-length albums released as "Stone Temple Pilots".

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
Talk Show and Army Of Anyone would be at the very bottom of my list, never had any interest in those records/never found them enjoyable, especially Army Of Anyone.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »
1. Purple
2. Tiny Music
3. Peace
4. SLDD
4. Butterfly
5. No. 4

Yep, I think that highly of Peace. I'm tired of Peace not getting the credit it deserves as a great album. Butterfly will likely move up for me as time goes on.

If anything "Peace" deserves less credit than it gets.

They released a true turd of an album.

Pretty funny and very true. It's quite interesting to me that the album absolutely reflected the turmoil the band was going through. It was a rushed effort and it was obvious. The Deleos can blame Scott saying "Those vocals were not satisfactory" (and they weren't), but how about the music? I've said it before, Scott had no room to even breathe anywhere on the album. It was as if his melodies were already written and he had no choice but to follow the guitar. That album is an unorganized mess and I'm pretty sad it even exists. People saying there are "some" good songs on the album is clearly not a compliment when you consider the work the band has done prior to that. If this had been their 2nd album, I would have probably been more lenient, but this one told me they should probably hang it up and that the magic was gone. Oh yeah, and playing the stuff live certainly didn't help: "Bagman honey... Bagman sugar."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 04:11:03 PM »
Bagman is undoubtedly the most embarrassing song in their catalogue. It's horrible. Although even their most horrible song has a pretty nice middle 8.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »
I couldn't really say right now, I'd hesitate to rank Butterfly higher than any of the original 5, but what I will say is that I consider it an album that holds its own with their classic era, and unlike the Peace LP, deserves the name Stone Temple Pilots.

100% agree, perfectly said.

DadaelusJones

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 08:11:28 PM »
1.  #4
2. SLDD
3. Tiny Music
4. Purple
5. Core
6. Butterfly
7. Peace

There are some ok-ish songs on Peace (Take a Load Off, Between the Lines, Peacoat) but they are surrounded by some of the worst songs ever put to tape (Hickory Dichotomy, Huckleberry Crumble, Dare If You Dare). I actually like the instrumentals on Bagman and Cinnamon but holy hell the vocals/lyrics are terribad.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 09:34:37 PM »
Bagman is undoubtedly the most embarrassing song in their catalogue. It's horrible. Although even their most horrible song has a pretty nice middle 8.

For me, it's close, but Cinnamon takes that honor. It's such a transparent attempt to be this cutesy pop song, that lead riff makes me cringe every time it plays (over and over again), and the lyrics are fucking ridiculous. It's the only STP song I truly don't like. At least Bagman has that middle 8 and a decent solo.

Again, this is getting off topic. That gives me an idea for another thread...

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »
1. SLDD
2. Purple
3. Tiny Music
4. No.4
5. Core

6. Butterfly
7. Peace

First 5 are all gold though, I hate having to rank them! It’s like asking who’s your favourite child.
As for Peace, that’s the perfect example of an album I TRIED to like but I just couldn’t. I still listen to ‘Take A Load Off’ and ‘First Kiss On Mars’ from time to time but that’s it. I like Butterfly but I’d rate it below the first 5 and Army of Anyone.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »

For me, it's close, but Cinnamon takes that honor. It's such a transparent attempt to be this cutesy pop song, that lead riff makes me cringe every time it plays (over and over again), and the lyrics are fucking ridiculous. It's the only STP song I truly don't like. At least Bagman has that middle 8 and a decent solo.

I think ‘Hickory Dichotomy’ with it’s awkward as fuck vocals (alright alright alright come on) or ‘Fast As I Can’ with its terrible lyrics (I can’t buy you fancy yoghurt anymore) and annoying ‘wait wait wait wait x99’ may be worthy of the medal for worst STP song.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 10:20:10 PM »

I think ‘Hickory Dichotomy’ with it’s awkward as fuck vocals (alright alright alright come on) or ‘Fast As I Can’ with its terrible lyrics (I can’t buy you fancy yoghurt anymore) and annoying ‘wait wait wait wait x99’ may be worthy of the medal for worst STP song.
A lot of us just thought "MC5" was one of the weaker songs in the catalog until Self-Titled 2010 produced some of the above mentioned gems.

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 10:25:10 PM »
1. Shangri La Dee Ds
2. Purple
3. Tiny Music
4. Core
5. No. 4
6. Butterfly
7. High Rise
8. Peace (besides between the lines, the album was awful)

Werd to Big Berd!

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 03:23:13 AM »
Agree about Bagman and Cinnamon comments. Those two songs are a joke.

1. Purple
3. Core
4. Tiny Music
5. Shangri La Dee Da
6. Butterly
7. Peace

1,005: High Rise - that shit is terrible

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »
1. Purple

2. Core

3. Tiny Music

4. Shangri-La Dee Da

5. No. 4

6. S/T 2018

7. S/T 2010
I had the midwife naked and alone