October 01, 2024, 08:23:19 PM

Author Topic: New album rankings (including Butterfly)  (Read 9967 times)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New album rankings (including Butterfly)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
The thing is, Butterfly is still just too new.  I think it is a great album and really works together nicely as a full album, but against historical albums like Core & Purple which are burned into our minds and hearts, it's just no contest.  I'd be very curious to do this poll again in a few years and see how this album has settled in among Tiny Music, No 4, & SLDD (which appear to be personal favorites for people but overall don't seem to have as steady a showing in these lists as Core/Purple).

For me, for now...

1. SLDD
2. Purple
3. Core
4. Tiny Music
5. No. 4
6. S/T 2018
7. S/T 2010

It's crazy how Tiny Music and No 4 have to be listed so low for me.  They would easily be the greatest album of so many other bands.  But that's how spoiled we've been.

Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
Sure, I'll play.

1. SLDD
2. Purple
3. Tiny Music
4. No. 4 (ironic)
5. Core
6a. Peace
6b. Butterfly
8. High Rise (wish we'd have gotten a whole album with Chester to properly hear what they could have done in a full record format).
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 01:55:50 AM »
Sure, I'll play.

1. SLDD
2. Purple
3. Tiny Music
4. No. 4 (ironic)
5. Core
6a. Peace
6b. Butterfly
8. High Rise (wish we'd have gotten a whole album with Chester to properly hear what they could have done in a full record format).

Wow! First post I’ve seen with the exact same rankings as me! I like the 6a and 6b idea for ‘Peace’ and ‘Butterfly’ too, I’m not really sure I’d rate one higher than the other, it’s tempting to go with Butterfly but that might be because it’s still fresh.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
1. Tiny Music
2. Purple
3. SLDD
4. Core
5. No. 4
6. Butterfly
7. Peace
8. High Rise

The first three are set in stone. That will never change. Core and No.4 have traded spaces in the past.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »
1. Tiny Music
2. Purple
3. SLDD
4. Core
5. No. 4
6. Butterfly
7. Peace
8. High Rise

The first three are set in stone. That will never change. Core and No.4 have traded spaces in the past.

This is exactly me too! 

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 03:35:45 PM »
Mine would be pretty close to that too, although 3-5 would be very hard to put in order. There's really not much in it.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »
1. Tiny Music
2. Purple
3. SLDD
4. Core
5. No. 4
6. Butterfly
7. Peace
8. High Rise

This is exactly me too! 

We've been doing this too long, havn't we? :-)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »
I am quite amazed that anybody could rate Peace higher than this album, the commitment to the material and attention to detail absolutely shines on this LP, it beats the crap out of Peace and then walks off laughing.

I hear a band absolutely rejuvenated, versus a band simply trudging through the motions. It's like the difference between night and day.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »
We've been doing this too long, havn't we? :-)
Indeed we have ;)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
I am quite amazed that anybody could rate Peace higher than this album, the commitment to the material and attention to detail absolutely shines on this LP, it beats the crap out of Peace and then walks off laughing.

I hear a band absolutely rejuvenated, versus a band simply trudging through the motions. It's like the difference between night and day.

I think there's a tendency in hindsight to the let the state the band was in during the Peace era and all the stories we've heard influence our opinion of it. Despite the weird dynamic of Scott recording separately from the rest of the band, I think it's a mistake to view the album as something they did out of obligation rather than passion. I, likewise, don't understand how anybody could listen to a song like First Kiss On Mars or Maver and say "this is a band that doesn't give a shit". Or how anyone could listen to Dean's guitar work on Between The Lines or Huckleberry Crumble and say he's uninspired.

Are there things I like better about Butterfly than Peace? Sure. I think on certain songs they do sound more energized than on Peace, and the album as a whole has more of an identity. But I also think the production severely hampers the sound. Additionally, I think after so much was made about how Peace was not "true to STP", they made a concerted effort to recreate their sludgier sound from the early days (see: Roll Me Under, Six Eight) and as a result, some of these songs sounds dated and stale. Personally, if I wanted to hear Core, I'd listen to Core.

Peace is not my favorite STP album, not by a longshot, but it's less linear and one dimensional than Butterfly. And for me, that makes all the difference.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:09:24 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 11:41:02 PM »

I think there's a tendency in hindsight to the let the state the band was in during the Peace era and all the stories we've heard influence our opinion of it. Despite the weird dynamic of Scott recording separately from the rest of the band, I think it's a mistake to view the album as something they did out of obligation rather than passion. I, likewise, don't understand how anybody could listen to a song like First Kiss On Mars or Maver and say "this is a band that doesn't give a shit". Or how anyone could listen to Dean's guitar work on Between The Lines or Huckleberry Crumble and say he's uninspired.

Are there things I like better about Butterfly than Peace? Sure. I think on certain songs they do sound more energized than on Peace, and the album as a whole has more of an identity. But I also think the production severely hampers the sound. Additionally, I think after so much was made about how Peace was not "true to STP", they made a concerted effort to recreate their sludgier sound from the early days (see: Roll Me Under, Six Eight) and as a result, some of these songs sounds dated and stale. Personally, if I wanted to hear Core, I'd listen to Core.

Peace is not my favorite STP album, not by a longshot, but it's less linear and one dimensional than Butterfly. And for me, that makes all the difference.

Sorry to throw stones here, Slither, but can you explain what you mean?

Peace is less linear? Peace has more of an identity? I'm truthfully not understanding what that truly means. I don't see Peace as having any sort of identity, not a positive one. I see it as an album that is truly disconnected. It's disconnected from the audience, from the band itself, and from one song to the others. If Peace has an identity, what does Purple or Core have? And if you're going to say people dislike the album based on stories they heard, I have to say you may not be willing to assign the album a negative rating simply because it's our beloved STP. I'd be willing to grade the album in a more charitable way had this group not written their first five albums, but because of those brilliant albums, I won't make excuses for them. I just don't think hearing stories has much to do with it. I've been hearing negative stories about this band since 1995 and it never influenced my taste in their music.

I think people don't like Peace based on several elements: the music, the lyrics, the melody, and the fact that it's obvious the band was not working together cohesively. You can hear the disconnect in the final presentation as it sounds like everyone is doing something different.

I would hardly say this is a band that doesn't give a shit or they are uninspiring, but I will say the album just sounds bad. I counted on this band to deliver good work on their sixth album and in my view (and most people's) they completely failed.

Believe it or not, I am glad you like some of the material, but I've also asked several times here why this band has purposely ignored what some people are calling a good album, not playing even a single song from it on this tour with Jeff. Why? As someone who seems to defend the record, I'm generally curious if you have any ideas. Let's throw High Rise in there too since it's getting the same treatment.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:45:47 PM by loungefly90 »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:30 AM »

Sorry to throw stones here, Slither, but can you explain what you mean?

Peace is less linear? Peace has more of an identity? I'm truthfully not understanding what that truly means. I don't see Peace as having any sort of identity, not a positive one. I see it as an album that is truly disconnected. It's disconnected from the audience, from the band itself, and from one song to the others. If Peace has an identity, what does Purple or Core have? And if you're going to say people dislike the album based on stories they heard, I have to say you may not be willing to assign the album a negative rating simply because it's our beloved STP. I'd be willing to grade the album in a more charitable way had this group not written their first five albums, but because of those brilliant albums, I won't make excuses for them. I just don't think hearing stories has much to do with it. I've been hearing negative stories about this band since 1995 and it never influenced my taste in their music.

I think people don't like Peace based on several elements: the music, the lyrics, the melody, and the fact that it's obvious the band was not working together cohesively. You can hear the disconnect in the final presentation as it sounds like everyone is doing something different.

I would hardly say this is a band that doesn't give a shit or they are uninspiring, but I will say the album just sounds bad. I counted on this band to deliver good work on their sixth album and in my view (and most people's) they completely failed.

Believe it or not, I am glad you like some of the material, but I've also asked several times here why this band has purposely ignored what some people are calling a good album, not playing even a single song from it on this tour with Jeff. Why? As someone who seems to defend the record, I'm generally curious if you have any ideas. Let's throw High Rise in there too since it's getting the same treatment.

You're not throwing stones, but to address your questions one by one -

Peace has more of an identity? I'm truthfully not understanding what that truly means. I don't see Peace as having any sort of identity, not a positive one.

If you re-read what I wrote, it's actually Butterfly I'm referring to as having more of an identity, so I think we're on the same page there.

I have to say you may not be willing to assign the album a negative rating simply because it's our beloved STP. I'd be willing to grade the album in a more charitable way had this group not written their first five albums, but because of those brilliant albums, I won't make excuses for them

Agreed again, I think the first 5 albums are far and away better than Peace. My initial comment was in response to Pingfah saying how he didn't understand how anyone could possibly like Peace over Butterfly. I don't think Peace stands up to the initial 5, but I don't think it's as terrible as some people make it out to be.

I also asked several times here why this band has purposely ignored what some people are calling a good album, not playing even a single song from it on this tour with Jeff. Why? As someone who seems to defend the record, I'm generally curious if you have any ideas. Let's throw High Rise in there too since it's getting the same treatment.

I think it's just because neither album did that well commercially or with the fans, not necessarily because of how they feel about them personally. I'll point to this performance as evidence they had a blast performing the new songs off Peace and have no reservations about the final product they put out -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsxWCYXghU

There's more energy in that performance than in any show they've done since Butterfly. Just look at Dean!

So again, I'm not making Peace out to be Abbey Road or anything, I'm just saying it gets too much hate. I do agree it sounds a bit disconnected, which I even admitted earlier, but I disagree with the extent of it. With the exception of Peacoat which is truly an awkward arrangement, this is not an album you'd point to and say "this was recorded with musicians in different places" unless you knew that fact beforehand. I'm sure there are people who didn't like this album from day 1, but I've definitely noticed a shifting of sentiment on this board regarding the album since some of the more negative stories regarding the recording process have come out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 12:38:27 AM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2018, 01:43:57 AM »
@Slither, thanks for addressing my questions and comments one by one, and I do see how you said Butterfly was the one with the identity. My mistake. Good link too. Excellent performance of a song I normally can't stand.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 02:04:47 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSsxWCYXghU

There's more energy in that performance than in any show they've done since Butterfly. Just look at Dean!

Don't forget, that show was almost 10 years ago though.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2018, 12:33:20 AM »
1) SLDD
2) TM
3) No4
4) Purple
5) Core

I was always down on Core, considered it too dense. But having the deluxe reissue has certainly given me a new perspective on it. I couldn't now place anything else above the first 5 albums.

After that, AoA was a big thing for me at the time. Have to say, though, I don't like what Ken Andrews does and that goes for Butterfly as well. I still want to hear Bob Ezrin's original mix.

At this point, I'd place Butterfly with AoA as best of the rest except for 12BB which is a truly special piece of work that has only grown over the years. The talent level on that record is unbelievable. Most of this has been discussed repeatedly but, man, Blair Lamb. The drums, the f'king drums. Absolute quality. Brendan is the best but Blair's drum tracks, such as with Sheryl Crow have have been the soundtrack to many of our summer road trips with the kids and grandkids.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:35:59 AM by Stop That Pigeon »