September 29, 2024, 09:31:27 PM

Author Topic: My Early Opinions  (Read 2059 times)

Dudertron

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
My Early Opinions
« on: March 15, 2018, 02:42:45 AM »
Hi everybody - lifetime fan, lurked a bit here, first post.

I'm kind of struggling with this new iteration of STP. Here's why

1) Tempo. Most of what I've heard seems to have the same tempo to it. The 3 full songs you can hear on YT and there's a new video I heard today with like 60 seconds of each song. This is just a nit pick though... a lot of 2010 was like that and I loved that album.
2) Lyrics. What really grabbed me and held me was how straight up weird Scott's lyrics were. I mean, they are out there and I don't really need to cite examples :) . It had me wondering what they meant. There was a mystery, and intrigue that kept me trying to decipher whatever profound thoughts were going thru Scott's head. Not feeling that (yet) with Jeff.
3) Melody. I'm hearing melodies of course, but man, what I'm hearing has me clamoring for the melodies that got me on the past 6 albums.
4) Live. Not a knock on Jeff personally, and he may get there, but watching Jeff makes me realize how spoiled we've been watching the way Scott worked the stage over the years. Jeff has more of a Chester stage presence IMHO. Maybe he just needs to loosen up and come into his own.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll come around a bit. Just my early thinking. What do you guys think?

ethelave91

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: My Early Opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:28:48 AM »
I’ll just comment on Jeff’s performances. If you watch the videos from show to show you can definitely see him feeling more comfortable. After a few more show under his belt he will come into his own and just rock. Give him time!!!

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 05:47:34 AM »
I’ll just comment on Jeff’s performances. If you watch the videos from show to show you can definitely see him feeling more comfortable. After a few more show under his belt he will come into his own and just rock. Give him time!!!

I reviewed the Sacramento show this morning on that thread and said almost the identical thing about Gutt. I like him, but as far as snaking around the stage, he is no Weiland for sure. However, with certain songs here and there, he seems to remove his protective shell and really shine. I've noticed this on Vasoline and Dead and Bloated.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »

I reviewed the Sacramento show this morning on that thread and said almost the identical thing about Gutt. I like him, but as far as snaking around the stage, he is no Weiland for sure. However, with certain songs here and there, he seems to remove his protective shell and really shine. I've noticed this on Vasoline and Dead and Bloated.

This is something we can look forward to watching. Gutt growing into this amazing band. He has stepped into some shoes that are pretty damn huge.

The man has some balls (Gutts?), and from what I hear on this disc he's using them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:07:04 AM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
I really don't want to see Jeff Gutt acting like Scott Weiland on stage. He has killer pipes, which is the most important thing.