September 28, 2024, 08:33:12 PM

Author Topic: Jeff Gutt reveals Chester Bennington connection (Listen to NEVER ENOUGH)!!!  (Read 8462 times)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Main riff is sorta "Roadhouse bluesy".  Mimics Scott-isms too.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Digging this on first listen.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Huh. Bit of a mixed bag of stuff going on in this one. I hear some Scott, I hear some Chester. The song, instrumentally, doesn't resemble much of past STP in my opinion. Maybe a bit of the High Rise era.

Lolzeyes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
the verse/bridge/chorus sound like three dif. pieces stitched together (first listen)

Anyway i'll hold back on a review since the album is only a week away or should i say a matter of days..

Wanna hear the full album so i can get a more solid opinion.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
I expect a lot of heat for this, but this song is terrible. It sounds like a forgotten B-side from the S/T 2010 album.  I'm hearing that same guitar sound again that made me despise the 2010 record. Again, I think on this one, this is solely a music problem and not a Gutt problem. He did the best he could with what he was given. I generally have enjoyed most of what was being put out from Meadow to The Art of Letting Go, but this one is for sure the worst out of them. Big disappointment on my end. Sorry guys.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Digging this on first listen.
same here! Best song so far! I didnt have to keep listening. Love the guitar solo and melody! Sounds like roadhouse blues and like Scott

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
First listen and I love it.

This is my favorite release yet featuring gutt. Great vocals which simply rock and hook the listener... and there’s a dean guitar solo I feel like talking about again. Those first couple releases didint do anything but these last two are pretty unreal for this situation of the band moving forward.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Thought it was ok on first listen.  Listened to it multiple times now and I'm loving it!  Definitely Roadhouse Blues vibes in the verse.  I love the transition from the verse to the chorus.  This is going to be a great album!

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
As far as the solo goes, this one applies to this thread I made recently:  https://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=11604.msg201546#msg201546

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
I expect a lot of heat for this, but this song is terrible. It sounds like a forgotten B-side from the S/T 2010 album.  I'm hearing that same guitar sound again that made me despise the 2010 record. Again, I think on this one, this is solely a music problem and not a Gutt problem. He did the best he could with what he was given. I generally have enjoyed most of what was being put out from Meadow to The Art of Letting Go, but this one is for sure the worst out of them. Big disappointment on my end. Sorry guys.
I think what you said pretty much echos my thoughts as well, with the only difference being that I would maybe not use the word "terrible", but it is definitely more in the league of the blandness that is Self-Titled.  Easily my least favorite of the 4 released so far from the new album. 
I am hoping for more songs on the new album that have the same impact on me that Art of Letting Go did, something with that signature STP sound that has been missing since the All in the Suit days.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
4 songs is too many. I'm holding out for the album.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Right now, I like it. Don't love it, don't hate it. Dean's solo is mean, need to crank it later when I am not at work.

If the last three releases aren't singles, then I am a happy man thinking that there is 2-3 singles still to be heard on the album. Never Enough is not a song I would skip, so I am looking forward to some higher quality audio to let it fully absorb.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Main riff is sorta "Roadhouse bluesy".

Uhhh...yeah I'd say so!

Not loving this one, verses sound like Scott with his solo band covering Roadhouse Blues, just not quite STP caliber. The song as a whole is a bit disjointed and the chorus is certainly not the most creative thing I've ever heard, definitely hearing some of the same "generic rock" elements I heard with Roll Me Under.

Batting .500 so far for me, much prefer Meadow and Art of Letting Go.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.