September 28, 2024, 06:23:08 PM

Author Topic: Jeff Gutt reveals Chester Bennington connection (Listen to NEVER ENOUGH)!!!  (Read 8461 times)

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Plus is it just me or is Jeff's vocals too buried in the mix? Obviously the quality on YouTube wasn't too good, but then again, I can tell if a movie is great even if I'm not watching it in HD.

I listened to the full quality iTunes version and the mix sounds fine to me.  I think it's the compression of the version on Youtube that's making the vocals sound low.
    heard it on spotify now, much better sounding. Mix is okay after all
I had the midwife naked and alone

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
All of this discussion is making me wonder what Jeff Gutt might have been able to do on self titled 2010...

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
All of this discussion is making me wonder what Jeff Gutt might have been able to do on self titled 2010...

Great point. It absolutely could have gone in either direction and unfortunately, we will never know. However, I think great discussions have been had on this website recently where when we discuss the 2010 album people are absolutely making the important distinction between the music and the melodies, which are two completely different things. My understanding with STP on how they arrange songs is that overall, Scott was responsible for the lyrics and melodies while the rest of the band creates the music. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but I think most bands do follow this formula.

I always felt Scott shined when there was more room in the song. Atlanta, Hello It’s Late, and Creep are good examples. When you have what we had on the S/T 2010, Scott really didn’t have much room there and it seemed as if the music was written in such a way that it would dictate the melodies without them even existing yet.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile

Great point. It absolutely could have gone in either direction and unfortunately, we will never know. However, I think great discussions have been had on this website recently where when we discuss the 2010 album people are absolutely making the important distinction between the music and the melodies, which are two completely different things. My understanding with STP on how they arrange songs is that overall, Scott was responsible for the lyrics and melodies while the rest of the band creates the music. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but I think most bands do follow this formula.

I always felt Scott shined when there was more room in the song. Atlanta, Hello It’s Late, and Creep are good examples. When you have what we had on the S/T 2010, Scott really didn’t have much room there and it seemed as if the music was written in such a way that it would dictate the melodies without them even existing yet.

That's a great point.  I distinctly remember Scott praising the music on Blaster as having a lot of space between the notes.  It certainly allowed him to be more creative than what we heard from him on the self titled album. 
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile

I think the fact they weren’t together with Scott was a big issue. That’s on him.

I’ve always put more of that 2010 album on the uninspiring instrumentals... after hearing what gutt has done with the Deleos and Kretz I cannot say that anymore. Scott was not scott in most of those reunion days. I’ve argued And created so much noise to defend scott even at those terrible times in the reunion days.

Self titled was probably lack luster for his efforts at that time. It’s sad to say.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile

I think the fact they weren’t together with Scott was a big issue. That’s on him.

I’ve always put more of that 2010 album on the uninspiring instrumentals... after hearing what gutt has done with the Deleos and Kretz I cannot say that anymore. Scott was not scott in most of those reunion days. I’ve argued And created so much noise to defend scott even at those terrible times in the reunion days.

Self titled was probably lack luster for his efforts at that time. It’s sad to say.

Oh, I totally agree.  Scott's fault or not, they all mailed it in.  I'm not going to lie though, I still like the album :)
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Something about this song reminds me of "Back To The City".
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Something about this song reminds me of "Back To The City".

The verses are very similar in terms of the riff and vocal melodies. It’s the choruses that set the 2 songs apart but the similarities are definitely there. Plus both songs remind me of ‘Jean Genie’!
Thanks for bringing up ‘Back To The City’ though, hadn’t listened to that song in a long time. I hope there are more unheard songs from the ‘Blaster’ sessions.

https://youtu.be/Yy2keCFdeck
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

nakedninja21

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Absolutely. Often times I find that my, eventually, most appreciated songs come from those I didn’t necessarily “get” the first time. Whether it grows on me due to life experience, a chord / lyric I missed, or just a change in attitude it’s an awesome feeling rediscovering a track. I used to hate Sour Girl and Days of the Week but within the past year or so they have really grown on me!
Pleased to meet you, nice to know me...