September 28, 2024, 06:16:09 PM

Author Topic: Jeff Gutt reveals Chester Bennington connection (Listen to NEVER ENOUGH)!!!  (Read 8460 times)

thecrowtv

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
I expect a lot of heat for this, but this song is terrible. It sounds like a forgotten B-side from the S/T 2010 album.  I'm hearing that same guitar sound again that made me despise the 2010 record. Again, I think on this one, this is solely a music problem and not a Gutt problem. He did the best he could with what he was given. I generally have enjoyed most of what was being put out from Meadow to The Art of Letting Go, but this one is for sure the worst out of them. Big disappointment on my end. Sorry guys.

No flack here.  I definitely hear a lot of scott in this song and some chester along with a combo of a doors and self titled vibe.

It's not a bad track, just not my favorite off the new CD.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
I expect a lot of heat for this, but this song is terrible. It sounds like a forgotten B-side from the S/T 2010 album.  I'm hearing that same guitar sound again that made me despise the 2010 record. Again, I think on this one, this is solely a music problem and not a Gutt problem. He did the best he could with what he was given. I generally have enjoyed most of what was being put out from Meadow to The Art of Letting Go, but this one is for sure the worst out of them. Big disappointment on my end. Sorry guys.
I think what you said pretty much echos my thoughts as well, with the only difference being that I would maybe not use the word "terrible", but it is definitely more in the league of the blandness that is Self-Titled.  Easily my least favorite of the 4 released so far from the new album. 
I am hoping for more songs on the new album that have the same impact on me that Art of Letting Go did, something with that signature STP sound that has been missing since the All in the Suit days.

I will admit that perhaps “terrible” is a bit of a strong word. The track is not a complete waste, and I have certainly heard worse, but one thing I continue to see in the comments is the whole, “I didn’t like it at first, but…” I have said this many times before and will say it again: This is STP we’re talking about! You should love all of their songs. The reason why STP became my favorite band in the first place is because I loved everything they did immediately and upon first listen. I didn’t have to listen to tracks 5 and 6 times and they did not have to grow on me. When a song needs time to grow on me, I then stick with my first impression: It’s not a very good song. Or, it is growing on people because it’s STP and people want to like the song, so with those 5 and 6 listens, they talk themselves into it, which is a problem. I pretty much refuse to do that, especially here.

This album is of course allowed to have some bad songs on it. I also dislike Ride the Cliché and MC5. My point is that when people sit there and play it again and again and again, and still are yet to make up their minds, this indirectly says it isn’t good. Otherwise, you would have felt it right away. I’m not saying certain songs haven’t grown on me over the years, they absolutely have, but when I love something, I know it and I assume others do too.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I dig it. Won't be a favourite but different flavours and all that - it rolls along nicely. This album is going to tick so many boxes. Great solo, sweet harmonies.

Got my butterfly tee today, pretty happy about that. Shame the CD wasn't with it but there you go. I can wait.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
My point is that when people sit there and play it again and again and again, and still are yet to make up their minds, this indirectly says it isn’t good. Otherwise, you would have felt it right away.

Musical Stockholm Syndrome.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I was worried after reading the comments here, but I actually really like it! It's definitely got a Roadhouse Blues vibe, which I'm not usually into, but for some reason it works really well here. I love how the chorus slows the song down with these big chords and vocal harmonies, then speeds back up and gets rocky again.

Jeff does a killer job with the vocals! He sounds a lot like Scott here imo -- not just in vocal tone, but it really feels like vocals Scott would write. I am really VERY impressed with Jeff; I love what he has created so far with them!

And that Dean solo.

They are 4 for 4 with me so far. I am very excited for the album!

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
Really don't like the quality of the Yahoo stream. Thank god it's on iTunes now:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/stone-temple-pilots-2018/1340481443

oldleadbelly

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile

...I didn’t have to listen to tracks 5 and 6 times and they did not have to grow on me. When a song needs time to grow on me, I then stick with my first impression: It’s not a very good song. Or, it is growing on people because it’s STP and people want to like the song, so with those 5 and 6 listens, they talk themselves into it, which is a problem. I pretty much refuse to do that, especially here...My point is that when people sit there and play it again and again and again, and still are yet to make up their minds, this indirectly says it isn’t good. Otherwise, you would have felt it right away. I’m not saying certain songs haven’t grown on me over the years, they absolutely have, but when I love something, I know it and I assume others do too.

I respectfully disagree with you on this point.  Some of my all-time favorite songs and albums are ones that were "growers."  Sometimes the epiphany of finally "getting" a song is even more powerful than loving it immediately.  Always fascinating to see the different ways people experience music.

As for Never Enough, I REALLY like this song right off the bat.  I understand where you're drawing some parallels to ST10, and that's because of the blues-based riff in the verse.  STP, up until 2010, had always been more alt-jazz/prog in there sound, which attributed for their unique sound and vibe.  I can't think of a single time, pre-ST10, that they dabbled in the instantly recognizable blues rock, barrelhouse-trope that defines bands like Aerosmith, GNR, and Roadhouse Blues-type Doors.  When STP did something more southern, it tended to be alt-country, like "I Got You," and "ISL" (which was still a bossa nova song at its core).  Then on the first Self-titled, they went full in on Aerosmith.  Not my favorite.

But Never Enough is Doors-style blues, smashed into White Lightning Weiland, giving way to Abbey Road-esque harmonies in the bridge and chorus.

TL;DR: I like this song.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
4 songs is too many. I'm holding out for the album.

Same here.  I'm just gonna wait for the album, so I can hear it in context.

I'm terrified of the "roadhouse blues" comparisons.  Sounds like shit.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

This is exactly how I felt until the end of the song.  It really elevates it above the Peace album.  First listen I like don't love.  But I always need to hear a song 2-3 times just so I can know what's coming up
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
I as well disagree with having to like a song the first time you hear it... if you’re just into the instrumentals and things like that this could be the case in many ways... but there are many songs I don’t get the full ‘gist’ of what the lyrical content is about unless I hear them a few times. Sometimes even then it’s a frame of mind I’m in and then all the sudden I get it... I get what the inspiration behind the song is.

Songs I listened to at 12 years old where the singer was admittedly talking about relationship woes and things of that nature... I hear them now 20 years later and needless to say it’s very different.

I think I understand what that post was going for... but this is a “Pandora’s box of a thought”, regarding hearing songs more than one time.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I like the song quite a bit . I’ll have to listen to it more to form a full opinion on it though.

If you’ve preordered the album on iTunes, it’ll automatically download.  Btw, now we have track 3 and tracks 7 - 9.  Never Enough works really well between Roll Me Under and The Art Of Letting Go
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile

...I didn’t have to listen to tracks 5 and 6 times and they did not have to grow on me. When a song needs time to grow on me, I then stick with my first impression: It’s not a very good song. Or, it is growing on people because it’s STP and people want to like the song, so with those 5 and 6 listens, they talk themselves into it, which is a problem. I pretty much refuse to do that, especially here...My point is that when people sit there and play it again and again and again, and still are yet to make up their minds, this indirectly says it isn’t good. Otherwise, you would have felt it right away. I’m not saying certain songs haven’t grown on me over the years, they absolutely have, but when I love something, I know it and I assume others do too.

I respectfully disagree with you on this point.  Some of my all-time favorite songs and albums are ones that were "growers."  Sometimes the epiphany of finally "getting" a song is even more powerful than loving it immediately.  Always fascinating to see the different ways people experience music.

As for Never Enough, I REALLY like this song right off the bat.  I understand where you're drawing some parallels to ST10, and that's because of the blues-based riff in the verse.  STP, up until 2010, had always been more alt-jazz/prog in there sound, which attributed for their unique sound and vibe.  I can't think of a single time, pre-ST10, that they dabbled in the instantly recognizable blues rock, barrelhouse-trope that defines bands like Aerosmith, GNR, and Roadhouse Blues-type Doors.  When STP did something more southern, it tended to be alt-country, like "I Got You," and "ISL" (which was still a bossa nova song at its core).  Then on the first Self-titled, they went full in on Aerosmith.  Not my favorite.

But Never Enough is Doors-style blues, smashed into White Lightning Weiland, giving way to Abbey Road-esque harmonies in the bridge and chorus.

TL;DR: I like this song.

To each their own without a doubt, and let me be clear: I am glad the response for this song has been generally positive. I want STP to be liked and I want them to be successful. If it was my choice to hate their material but them be successful or I love their work, but they remain underground, I would choose to hate their music for their benefit.

I think my main point is that over the years I felt as if something changed with this band and Scott as well and I am seeing remnants of that on this song. I loved 12BB and then when Happy came out, I felt myself really wanting to like it, listening to it over and over, and hoping for a result I could accept. The same thing absolutely happened with the 2010 album and Blaster. I listened and then I listened again, and it was the same result after a dozen times. with the 2010 album, I learned I was not going to put a stamp of approval on it just because I loved STP. I wanted to be honest that if they made crappy music, they would receive a crappy review as that's what was fair. It was really hard for me to accept that the band who wrote Atlanta was the same band who wrote Huckleberry Crumble.

I absolutely can agree that what was once a dud can easily become a wonderful song. However, I think disliking something and then liking it years later is different than listening to something on repeat and not being able to make up your mind. I used to hate Bipolar Bear and then when I listened to the lyric, "Left my meds on the sink again. My head will be racing by lunchtime" something changed for me and I loved the song. I have no idea why and as someone who does not take medication of any kind, I have absolutely no reason for falling in love with the song, or for that small reason, but I did. I'm with you there. However, my complaint with this song has to do with that Doors-sound you mentioned as I am not a huge classic rock fan, but am a large fan of grunge. Of course, I get the impression this is the music that Dean loves to play because you can really hear the influences strong here in the guitar.

I often view listening to STP or Scott-related projects as eating a meal, trying a new dish, or a new restaurant: once the first bite goes in my mouth, it really doesn't take much more for me to come up with my review and many cooking shows only take a bite or two themselves before giving the verdict. I will finish the meal, but the truth is that bad dishes hardly ever become good later on. If I haven't made up my mind by the 5th or 6th spoonful, then it sounds like my mind is actually already made up (if that makes sense).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:27:44 PM by loungefly90 »

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
He sounds a lot like Scott.  Sorta feel that the 2010 ST album and High Rise lowered the bar enough for these guys to pass the torch to this rendition of STP.  Although, there were a couple of keepers in 2010 ST.  I've liked Meadow so far the best.     

oldleadbelly

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
All of that makes perfect sense, loungefly90, and I even relate to it in a way.  The way I hear, absorb, and appreciate STP has certainly changed as I've gotten older, and they've evolved.  Personally, I doubt any new STP song will ever impact me the way the early stuff did when I was 13.  Hell, no new music imprints on me the way the songs of my youth did.  At best, a chord-voicing, melody, or lyric will sneak up and tickle the ghost of the sensation felt in the early 90's for a brief moment, but then it's gone. 

So, that's the perspective I try to take into any new music from bands for which I have a large amount of context and emotional connection.  The better I can listen to the the new output, without the romantic specter of the back catalog weighing on it, the better I can enjoy it in its own right.

But you're right...if the style doesn't appeal to you, perhaps it's best to just call a spade a spade and admit you don't like a song.  Cheers.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Dean rippin shit up tho. Slash style. Like the solo