September 29, 2024, 02:31:43 PM

Author Topic: Changes to the site and forum  (Read 8020 times)

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
Re: Changes to the site and forum
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 01:55:37 AM »
Hope you're doing it for the right reasons.....

Meaning?

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »
Kudos for keeping it going for so long.

Oh please Chris. Don’t go any further than you already have. Please. It’s hard to do, but you should assume people have positive intent. Especially when they are stand-up people like Rik.

Thank you Rik for all you do. Even though I am not nearly as involved here as I was 20 years ago, I appreciate all the work that goes into it and glad the site is here for new generations of STP fans to find it.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »
Kudos for keeping it going for so long.

What are the wrong reasons to do all this work to keep a website going?
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

thecrowtv

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 07:23:20 PM »
Rik, you've always done great work. I first came to this site because of your Velvet Revolver website/forum. 

Having done a website like this at one time, I understand the work involved. Starting with a template design, PHP/HTML coding, Graphics, and most importantly content.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 09:01:51 PM »
Rik,
I joined BE in 2002. I've been a member of several other forums for some of my other favorite bands (Metallica, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Lacuna Coil), but what you've created here is something worthwhile and it's the only forum I still go back to after all these years. Among my group of friends, I've always been known as the 'STP guy.' It just feels good to be part of a group among several STP guys and girls. You provided that for us, and we feel grateful for all that you've done and will continue to do. Thank you.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for the support!

Nothing much has changed visually over the last couple of days, but behind the scenes I'm coding a new backend for the Concert Chronology. Should be available sometime later this week if all goes well.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 07:48:58 PM »

Meaning?

He's probably talking about the massive amount fame and money that he gets for running this site.

LaLaGrunge

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • And So I Know
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 12:02:50 AM »
I've lost a few posts here because I'm either unknowingly logged out of my account during writing or I accidentally refresh the page.

Is there a way for the forum to include a warning window saying something like, "your current draft is open, would you still like to edit/post it, yes or no?" I've been on other forums that have this safety option.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:06:16 AM by LaLaGrunge »
Alter Bridge: 10/20/07
Live: 3/15/08
STP: 5/18/08, 5/31/08/Scott Weiland: 1/24/09
Metallica: 1/17/09
The Smithereens: 1/14/14/Sugar Ray-Better Than Ezra-Eve 6: 8/21/15

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 10:21:50 PM »
I've lost a few posts here because I'm either unknowingly logged out of my account during writing or I accidentally refresh the page.

Is there a way for the forum to include a warning window saying something like, "your current draft is open, would you still like to edit/post it, yes or no?" I've been on other forums that have this safety option.

This feature is not included on the current version of SMF, I don't think it's something I could code into the forum myself.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »

Updated the news / news archives to fit the new design.

https://www.belowempty.com/news.php

Report errors here, thanks!

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2018, 09:12:49 PM »
Hi Rik. I am for one, extremely happy to see changes on the site. The new era of STP is here and many of us are excited about it. For too long, it was almost if this site wasn't welcoming to those of us in that boat. I am a big fan of Gutt and am stoked for the album. The entire reason I decided to cover the 2013-2016 shows (http://lplive.net/shows/stonetemplepilots) (and @livestp on Twitter) is because Below Empty flat out refused to acknowledge Chester was even the lead singer of the band until just last month - February 2018. That's almost five years after he joined the band. Subtle hits like "Dean+Robert+Eric+Chester" instead of "Stone Temple Pilots" were frustrating and came off arrogant by Below Empty. It has made LP fans not want to join the forum or community here just because of the (apparent) hostility of the staff here. That was pretty ridiculous, distasteful, and rude, I must say. And that's coming from someone that was inspired by Below Empty's live chronology to do the same sort of coverage for Linkin Park.

Now with that out of the way (I have been wanting to say that very strongly to someone in charge here for years, but had no idea who even ran the site), bring on the new era. I'm excited to cover STP and if you need any help with reporting setlists, covering the shows, etc, I would be glad to assist. I have tickets to 3 upcoming shows and will be seeing them as much as I can. Below Empty is a site I enjoy greatly so I look forward to what the future has to bring with this band.

Thanks for finally making these changes.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2018, 11:25:43 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Your help is much appreciated. I am sorry that the last few years, fans were unable to enjoy stuff on here. I know the feeling, I was away because I wasn't enjoying much either. You have to understand that at that time, my disappointment with Scott Weiland's decline and STP moving on with the band name and a new singer made me feel almost exactly the same adjectives you used.

For years, I had felt some kind of pride (and possibly arrogance) that STP had weathered their storms and had come out the other end with their original lineup. Everyone I knew, especially here in Europe, had ridiculed STP, their music and in some instances my love for their music from the mid 90's until now. In 2010, I was happy to say to most/all the fans of other bands from STP's era, that at least I stood by a band who were the 'real deal'. No band member replacements, no new drummers, guitarists, bass players or whatever else bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, etc, etc. did. Yes, I felt like STP were in the same league as Led Zeppelin and the likes. This was THE band in my book. I listen to tons of other music, but STP has always been far above and beyond anything else. At that time in 2013, to partially quote you, I thought it was pretty ridiculous, distasteful and rude for the rest of the band to 'officially terminate' Scott with a press release and lawsuit.

Of course with time comes wisdom and I've grown and learned a lot over the past few years. Now, after the shock and disappointment have subsided, I do understand that no matter how great Scott used to be, even with his partial physical presence in STP in the later days, this band was beyond dysfunctional. Sometimes there's even a part of me that wonders what 'could have been' if they'd moved on sooner. But that's just as unproductive and unrealistic as wondering what could have been if Scott hadn't taken the path he walked. Chances are that if Scott wasn't exactly the way he was, STP would have never been what they have been. Anyway, what I mean to say is: after my deep disappointment, I was able to put some stuff in perspective.

For the record: nothing personal against Chester or anyone else. Looking back, it may have been selfish (even though this site is not a company but a hobby--something that's bothered me in the past from time to time is that some people take it for granted and even start to expect and demand certain things--, but if my heart's not in something, I stay away from it. And that's what happened.

I am looking to include the band/performance information from 2013-2017 on the site, but it might take me a while to collect and process it. I don't want to copy/steal your archives. And I do want Chester to have a great bio page on Below Empty, but I wouldn't know where to start to be honest.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 12:24:03 AM »
I'm really touched by your post there Rik. Watched the "Making of Sour Girl" video earlier, beautiful stuff. What we have now I will support and celebrate but what we had for that brief time back then was sensational. And the fact that European STP fans were on our own and isolated was somehow even more important. The songwriting from TM through SLDD was on another level, I have plenty of friends who like the band but don't appreciate that at all. You have always approached situations with dignity, wish I'd done the same.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
I have a periodic problem accessing the forum from the links on the main page (the 5 most recent replies), in multiple browsers.  If I click it I get a screen like this: 

EDIT: Picture didn't load.  Basically its empty white boxes with broken image icon

However, if I go to the dropdown menu at the top and access the forum that way, everything seems to work.  It fixes itself throughout the day, but wondering what is happening?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:22:32 PM by Flyingmerpa »

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »
I have a periodic problem accessing the forum from the links on the main page (the 5 most recent replies), in multiple browsers.  If I click it I get a screen like this: 

EDIT: Picture didn't load.  Basically its empty white boxes with broken image icon

However, if I go to the dropdown menu at the top and access the forum that way, everything seems to work.  It fixes itself throughout the day, but wondering what is happening?

I have this problem too but once I sign in it goes away and the page loads fine. Is this problem occurring when you're signed in or only when you haven't signed in yet?