September 29, 2024, 10:05:14 AM

Author Topic: The Art of Letting Go  (Read 5355 times)

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
The Art of Letting Go
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:33:57 AM »
https://youtu.be/LuQzozvHmHg

Just finished hearing this song. I definitely think Jeff has a beautiful voice. Jeff was aware of Scott using his voice as a musical instrument by changing his voice in different songs and now Jeff is continuing that legacy. A beautiful song like this from STP makes me excited to hear all of the new album!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:39:37 AM by Virgojams »

blackagain

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Letting Go
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:36:19 PM »
Wow! What a great song. I love it. The three songs I've heard so far I really like. Makes me even more anxious to hear the rest of the new album/CD

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:40:11 PM »
I'm surprised there hasn't been more dialog on this song yet. Really curious about people's opinions.  Here's a link in case you haven't heard it: http://loudwire.com/stone-temple-pilots-new-song-the-art-of-letting-go/

Musically this is the most adventurous they've been since Shangri-La and I'm really pleased with the effort. The boys wrote a beautiful piece.

As for Jeff, I thought he did a good job. Still trying to get my head around his melodies, but they are definitely creative. I dig it. I think so far my reservation is his lyrics are too literal. I think the one thing I loved about Scott was stuff like "throw a tack on the road stop the Meatplow", "I got a picture of a photograph, of a wedding and a shell" or "speak to the speechless you have inside". There are countless examples.

There was just so much mystery in those lyrics, that's where his true magic revealed itself. Then of course with the last album he pulled shit like "I can't buy you fancy yogurt anymore". Terrible.

Anyway, as I digest an entire album I may change my opinion there. But I think the one thing I find myself missing with Jeff more so than tonation, melodies or vocal talent - it's mysterious lyrics. Just one person's take. The song is impressive. Honestly I thought Rob/Dean had given up trying to write songs like this, pumping out standard rockers. I mean the last S/T and High Rise EP all had a very streamlined and consistent musical sound. This is a left field Shangri landscape. This tells me STP is back more than anything. The solo, too. The weird chords Dean rings out open. Damn.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:52:47 PM »
All the talk has been going on in the new album thread.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »
I like this one. Instrumentally, it struck me as a possible No.4 / SLDD outtake (too different from the rest of that album, but fitting in that vein of You Can't Drive Me Away / About A Fool / etc.). Definite Dean-esque production similar to Fill The Fields / This Wasn't Supposed To Happen that wouldn't have ended up the way it did with Scott present. He would probably have cut a few repeats here and there, haha. Anyway, best post-Scott song I've heard so far.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:42 PM »
I'd like to say something but JugeSTP and Rik just took the words out of my mouth. 

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 01:59:44 AM »
I really enjoy this track. I wast really impressed after the first two release, even though meadow is good and gutt shines on it. I thought roll me under was pretty rough to hear. Gutt did his thing good with it though.

Honestly gutt had impressed me. He’s doing “his” thing but it seems to echo things we have grown to enjoy over the years. Hard to explain, but they found the right guy and after hearing this third track I’m wanting to hear more material.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 02:08:50 AM »
I'd like to say something but JugeSTP and Rik just took the words out of my mouth. 

Haha, I usually find you speaking for me!

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 04:39:36 AM »
Honestly didn't think they had it in them anymore until I heard this tune.

Meadow and that other one are in the same vein as self-titled & High Rise, but this tune has a legit early STP vibe.

Still think the vocals are more Talk Show than STP, but it's nice to know Dean, Robert, & Eric can throw together an instrumental capable of knocking some socks off.

Would love to hear an instrumental version....
Bleeda blooda

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 05:53:24 PM »
Haha, I usually find you speaking for me!
Great minds think alike! ;)

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
Best instrumental by the Deleos in years. Would have loved to hear Scott sing on this. Very easily the worst vocal performance by Jeff so far. Very cheesy. Not good at the soft stuff like Scott was. And those are my favorites. Tiny is my favorite album and sldd is my wife’s. A+ to the deleos and jeers. F to Jeff

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 09:13:13 PM »
Best instrumental by the Deleos in years. Would have loved to hear Scott sing on this. Very easily the worst vocal performance by Jeff so far. Very cheesy. Not good at the soft stuff like Scott was. And those are my favorites. Tiny is my favorite album and sldd is my wife’s. A+ to the deleos and jeers. F to Jeff

Go away.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 11:07:22 PM »

Go away.
Sorry for interrupting the echo chamber with my thoughts

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:40:04 PM »
oh yeah, that AM9 - C#m9 in the verse is very Dean Deleo.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 03:05:19 AM »
One of the best instrumentals by the Deleos in years. Would have loved to hear Scott sing on this, but also easily the best vocal performance by Jeff so far. Very solid. Quite good at the soft stuff like Scott was. A+ to the Deleos and A+ to Jeff.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:09:54 AM by Down-Plush »