September 29, 2024, 11:17:47 AM

Author Topic: The Art of Letting Go  (Read 5356 times)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Letting Go
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 03:58:44 AM »
Best instrumental by the Deleos in years. Would have loved to hear Scott sing on this. Very easily the worst vocal performance by Jeff so far. Very cheesy. Not good at the soft stuff like Scott was. And those are my favorites. Tiny is my favorite album and sldd is my wife’s. A+ to the deleos and jeers. F to Jeff

Go away.
Sorry for interrupting the echo chamber with my thoughts

This is hardly an echo chamber. There are opposing viewpoints on display here every single day regarding STP related material, but they are almost always thoughtful disagreements. It seems you are only here to criticize anything Dean, Rob and Eric do that doesn’t involve Scott. Perhaps you should take a cue from the song title.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »
Best instrumental by the Deleos in years. Would have loved to hear Scott sing on this. Very easily the worst vocal performance by Jeff so far. Very cheesy. Not good at the soft stuff like Scott was. And those are my favorites. Tiny is my favorite album and sldd is my wife’s. A+ to the deleos and jeers. F to Jeff

Go away.
Sorry for interrupting the echo chamber with my thoughts

This is hardly an echo chamber. There are opposing viewpoints on display here every single day regarding STP related material, but they are almost always thoughtful disagreements. It seems you are only here to criticize anything Dean, Rob and Eric do that doesn’t involve Scott. Perhaps you should take a cue from the song title.
I just complimented those three and have stated adoration for them and their work on AOA, talk show, and even out of time. I criticized Jeff’s cringeworthy vocals

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 03:36:34 AM »
oh yeah, that AM9 - C#m9 in the verse is very Dean Deleo.
Actually, I think this is more Rob than Dean. 

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
oh yeah, that AM9 - C#m9 in the verse is very Dean Deleo.
Actually, I think this is more Rob than Dean. 
Oh, really? I thought Dean liked those cluster chords a lot. He uses them all the time. It could be Robert's idea though. The song is def Robert's.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
As I mentioned in the other thread, that same chord progression is used in the verse of Adhesive, and Rob wrote that one. So this one may be Rob.

Of course, sometimes it’s hard to tell where Rob ends and Dean begins in terms of songwriting. Like Richard Patrick once said, they are like Siamese twins with guitars for arms.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 04:03:44 PM »
From the band's 2018 tour bio snippet:

Gutt says the band really clicked after writing its first song together, a track called The Art of Letting Go: "Dean was messing around on an acoustic guitar and I started singing along. Pretty soon, everyone was in the room and all the pieces fell into place. It's such a beautiful song and something we’re all very proud of."

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 04:32:19 PM »
Interesting!
I was watching this video and Robert talked a little bit about Adhesive. (I didn't know it was his song.)
Apparently he came up with those chords.
https://youtu.be/ZJ3yLf96_eE?t=59m31s

Dean stole from him? Just kidding, haha.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
Dean (Ultimate Guitar, February 2018): "There's a song on there called 'The Art of Letting Go' and it's a really, really beautiful piece of music. I say this with great humility and who gives a shit? This is my opinion and I wrote it and of course I think I'm gonna dig it. So just take it with a grain of salt coming from me. This is a song that came about when we were up at Eric's [Kretz, drummer] studio and I was just sitting there plunking on Eric's kid's $69 toy guitar and this song literally came out in minutes and this is where Jeff really stepped in. He really took that song and designed those chords around what he was doing. It's really just a beautiful piece of music and Jeff was very, very instrumental in putting that one together arrangement-wise."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/stps_dean_deleo_finding_a_new_singer_wasnt_so_much_about_the_past_but_about_the_future.html

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 06:42:13 PM »
I was getting very worried after Roll Me Under became a single.  But I really enjoy The Art of Letting Go.  Jeff does a great job on this one.  This song feels very familiar and comfortable.  I would like to see them progressing more than they have though.  This song doesn't really feel like STP has taken a step forward.  I feel like it's This Wasn't Supposed to Happen part 2.  That's not really a bad thing.  I'm more enthusiastic about the new album than I was, but still not expecting to be blown away.