June 30, 2024, 05:23:28 AM

Author Topic: Roll Me Under (New single)  (Read 9976 times)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Me Under (New single)
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2018, 06:18:11 PM »
As for the "generic vocal" comments...I'm not sure what everyone out there is listening to but Jeff definitely doesn't have that "bro-rock" voice that is plastered all over rock stations.
He's doing his thing while throwing in the occassional Scott-ism, which I felt Chester honored as well.

For me, it's not the tone/sound of his voice that's generic; it's the melodies and the lyrics. They're not bad by any means, but they're predictable radio-friendly hard rock. I have higher expectations for the new singer of Stone Temple Pilots.

I'm not comparing him to Scott, but I do expect him to stand out and write creative vocals that are worthy and appropriate of the STP name. In other words, Jeff has big shoes to fill, and he doesn't have to fill them the same way Scott did, but he does have to fill them somehow. (Note: Maybe this is what the song "Good Shoes" is about?)

To be clear, I'm not calling the vocals on this song bad. What I'm saying is: I'd probably give the vocals a 7.5/10, whereas I am expecting a 9/10.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:29 PM »
Also, Kretzel's drumming is superb here, did anyone else realize? That guy's a fucking monster!

Absolutely. Mr. Kretz really shines on this track.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2018, 04:32:25 AM »
I’m not sure which one this guy likes best, ‘Roll Me Under’ or the F word...

https://youtu.be/uFWzMUxBtuI
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2018, 04:51:15 AM »
Anyone else put off by the subtle but annoying distortion sound in the background?  It's especially heavy in the middle of the tune. 
I believe it's a fuzz guitar track. Dean uses a lot of funky old pedals in the studio.
This doesn't sound like any funky old pedal that I'm aware of.  It's quite high in the mix.  It cuts. 

Maybe I'm just acutely aware of it because of these studio monitors.  I'll be happy to hear a track with less audible compression.
There is some awful compression going on too.  I'm looking forward to a *hopefully* higher quality version. 
Completely agree.  It's... yucky for lack of a better term. 

It reminds me of that chimey sound during the chorus of Take a Load Off.  On the CD it sounds pretty good.  But as a lower-quality compressed file or stream, it makes me a bit crazy. 
Also, Kretzel's drumming is superb here, did anyone else realize? That guy's a fucking monster!
Absolutely. Mr. Kretz really shines on this track.
Interesting.  I actually felt like there was a lot of missed opportunity here.  The primary rhythm is cool!  But he could have danced around it a little bit.  Then again, I'm never terribly happy with an 8th-note snare drum build.  This isn't Nickleback. 

Now, I'm not expecting full-on Gavin Harrison here.  I'm just saying a LITTLE bit more grace would have been welcomed.  By me, anyway. 

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »
How is this not already a breaking Benjamin or creed song?

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »

What a ridiculous comment. I would completely accept someone saying "Jeff isn't for me", "Jeff isn't Scott" or just "I don't like his vocals" - you could even rip his uninspiring lyrics... but I think he has a strong sense of melody. So far his melodies on these two tracks have been by far the most impressive thing. I've really enjoyed that. BB and Creed never had that. And this has signature STP music all over it - it sounds nothing like the sterile rock of those other two bands.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
He's just trolling, he would say he doesn't like it no matter how good it is. Just a miserable person.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2018, 03:27:24 PM »
He's just trolling, he would say he doesn't like it no matter how good it is. Just a miserable person.

He never answered me whether or not he's a flat-earther. Which means he is.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »
I wonder if they decided on the abrupt ending or does the song roll into the next one?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
Interesting.  I actually felt like there was a lot of missed opportunity here.  The primary rhythm is cool!  But he could have danced around it a little bit.  Then again, I'm never terribly happy with an 8th-note snare drum build.  This isn't Nickleback. 

Now, I'm not expecting full-on Gavin Harrison here.  I'm just saying a LITTLE bit more grace would have been welcomed.  By me, anyway. 
Its funny you say this.  I kind of felt the same way but kept my mouth shut since everyone else seemed to love it so much.  Its cool in the verses but the slow snare build in the prechorus kind of seems just a touch lazy.  Could definitely do something cooler there without having it sound too flashy a la Luzier.  He has some good intuition on when to rest in this song though.

I'll admit this is me nitpicking though.  I really like the song overall.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:24:26 PM by Aaron »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »

*DeLeos travel back in time and bring Scott back from the year 2000*

"What sell outs. If they can't sell music without bringing the greatest singer they ever worked with back to life at his peak, they should just retire."
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
LOL Blue.  Pretty much.  If you need a good laugh click his name and click "show posts".  Like 24 of 25 of his most recent 25 posts are just negativity.  If I ever get like that, please tell me its time to take a break.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:04 PM »
I was against stp getting Chester but I still said I kinda liked out of time. I give my honest opinion. I’m sorry that I don’t like cheesy cock rock like you guys.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »

What a ridiculous comment. I would completely accept someone saying "Jeff isn't for me", "Jeff isn't Scott" or just "I don't like his vocals" - you could even rip his uninspiring lyrics... but I think he has a strong sense of melody. So far his melodies on these two tracks have been by far the most impressive thing. I've really enjoyed that. BB and Creed never had that. And this has signature STP music all over it - it sounds nothing like the sterile rock of those other two bands.
Oh yeah the melodies are great, that pre chorus on roll me under is the most predictable vocal run he could have come up with. And are you kidding? Meadow doesn’t have a single cool riff in the song. Signature stp is actually creative

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »
... I’m sorry that I don’t like cheesy cock rock like you guys.

Why do you like Velvet Revolver?