July 02, 2024, 04:35:52 AM

Author Topic: Roll Me Under (New single)  (Read 10012 times)

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Me Under (New single)
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 02:25:26 AM »
New single is growing on me. New disc will be a solid 3.5/5 at least.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 03:38:02 AM »
I think this definitely should have been the lead single instead of Meadow. A much bigger "STP is back" statement then a beach-pop song.
Definitely would have made a bigger splash.  Considering all the hard rock festivals they have lined up, I'm kind of surprised they didnt start with a heavier song. 

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 03:53:50 AM »
I think this definitely should have been the lead single instead of Meadow. A much bigger "STP is back" statement then a beach-pop song.
Definitely would have made a bigger splash.  Considering all the hard rock festivals they have lined up, I'm kind of surprised they didnt start with a heavier song. 

I disagree, it may be heavier but ‘Meadow’ is a lot catchier and I feel it fits in better with other ‘modern rock’ songs that are being played on the radio. I’m guessing that’s what they were going for with the first single too.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 05:31:04 AM »
Anyone else put off by the subtle but annoying distortion sound in the background?  It's especially heavy in the middle of the tune. 

I'm not sure I get the idea other than to be "more modern". 

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 08:17:58 AM »
First few listens like Meadow wasn't too impressed. Then I got in my car and played it over and over about 10 times. This is a great song but I don't think this is a single and I am sure the album will be even better. This song is fantastic. Jeff Gutt is a total pro can't wait for the full album. The more you listen to it the more you hear the little subtle background things going on.

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 11:10:44 AM »
Anyone else put off by the subtle but annoying distortion sound in the background?  It's especially heavy in the middle of the tune. 

I believe it's a fuzz guitar track. Dean uses a lot of funky old pedals in the studio.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 02:55:59 PM »
This song is really good going to be a big hit. That solo from Dean kicks freakin ass, but to short.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 03:17:32 PM »

I disagree, it may be heavier but ‘Meadow’ is a lot catchier and I feel it fits in better with other ‘modern rock’ songs that are being played on the radio. I’m guessing that’s what they were going for with the first single too.

Yep. Don't really understand this take. Meadow is currently 7 on the billboard mainsteam rock charts and moving, ahead of Foo Fighters and Metallica. Remember, this is a band on their THIRD singer, and 20+ years removed from their heyday. Can't see Roll Me Under having much better success.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 03:41:51 PM »
This song is really good going to be a big hit. That solo from Dean kicks freakin ass, but to short.

I'm curious about your definition of "big hit". 
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 03:55:46 PM »
Look - I like the music. Jeff's vocals are 'nice' but honestly, I'm a little underwhelmed. I liked Meadow at first but the more I listened, I found it a little too generic.

Roll Me Under is interesting musically but some of those lyrics are straight up trash and I don't like how he's singing some of those vocals. It's just sort of 'meh' for me.

I like both of these tracks better than anything on High Rise with Chester but I hated that stuff so it's not a fair comparison.

I like seeing some movement on the charts for them and I think releasing this album shortly before hitting the road and doing these Spring and Summer festival shows helps as far as timing goes. There really isn't any band killing it in rock right now so the timing is interesting... I'm just not sure if this stuff will really take off the way all of you keep saying it will.

I like the production on these tracks. Ken Andrews did a solid job on the mix.
Take it.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 04:03:43 PM »

I'm curious about your definition of "big hit". 

Me too. I’m sorry but ‘Roll Me Under’ does not make me think BIG HIT when I hear it. It makes me think ‘generic rock album track’... Its not awful, it’s not great, it’s just meh... I’ve listened to it 4 times and still can’t remember how it goes without having it on. ‘Meadow’ got stuck in my head straight away.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:12:22 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »

Yep. Don't really understand this take. Meadow is currently 7 on the billboard mainsteam rock charts and moving, ahead of Foo Fighters and Metallica. Remember, this is a band on their THIRD singer, and 20+ years removed from their heyday. Can't see Roll Me Under having much better success.
Sorry, I wasnt clear.  I meant a bigger splash among the audience they are apparently targeting on this tour.  That audience clearly being the hard rock crowd NOT the modern alternative crowd.  I'm not referring to commercial success.  Meadow is more commercially viable because its less hard and more poppy.  Thats obvious. 

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »

I'm not sure I get the idea other than to be "more modern". 

There is some awful compression going on too.  I'm looking forward to a *hopefully* higher quality version. 

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »
A day later and I'm really digging it. I'm optimistic.
And while, I understand that it'll probably take a while for this to sink in, this new material really needs to be judged on its own merit, not unfairly pinning it up against their hey-day with Scott.

Of course, you like what you like, but the comparison is inevitable whether intentional or sub-conscious.

As for the "generic vocal" comments...I'm not sure what everyone out there is listening to but Jeff definitely doesn't have that "bro-rock" voice that is plastered all over rock stations.
He's doing his thing while throwing in the occassional Scott-ism, which I felt Chester honored as well.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CoreurpletinyNo4ShangriY

• I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES! I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES!
  • Pilot
  • I know the questions but I lost the answers
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:45 PM »
I'm gonna go out and say that this is their AOA track. He even sounds like Richard Patrick here... if they had released this on an AOA album I would have not even flinched.
The song itself is not as original as Meadow, but I do enjoy it. It'll be cool to hear on the radio along with Meadow. I do have hope for the rest of the album... I truly just think that they did this track to do this track. If Robert said that the song's been in his pocket forever, they probably just recorded it because they wanted to get it out there.
Also, Kretzel's drumming is superb here, did anyone else realize? That guy's a fucking monster!
STP Shows: 9/5/10 - 7/26/11 - 8/6/11 - 9/10/11 - 8/24/12
STP with Chester: 9/6/13 - 4/25/15
Weiland Shows: 11/28/12 - 3/12/13 - 8/14/13 - 9/14/14
- 3/10/15 - 11/28/15