July 02, 2024, 04:52:35 AM

Author Topic: Roll Me Under (New single)  (Read 10014 times)

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Me Under (New single)
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2018, 12:34:53 AM »
Its funny you say this.  I kind of felt the same way but kept my mouth shut since everyone else seemed to love it so much.  Its cool in the verses but the slow snare build in the prechorus kind of seems just a touch lazy.  Could definitely do something cooler there without having it sound too flashy a la Luzier.  He has some good intuition on when to rest in this song though.

I'll admit this is me nitpicking though.  I really like the song overall.
I'm certainly nitpicking!  Kretz is almost always spot-on with the overarching groove!  I just wish he'd slap a little icing on the damn thing more often. 

It dawned on me today what tune I was thinking about.  Listen to the drum part around ~1:50 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBUwcNVur2s 

Now, obviously this is a very different tune.  However, about 10-20% of this sprinkled into the STP tune and it'd turn from a decent to an awesome drum part. 

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2018, 01:37:30 AM »
How is this not already a breaking Benjamin or creed song?

That did kinda make me chuckle... The first time I listened to it I thought it sounded a bit like the kinda songs that were on the last Art of Anarchy album with Stapp. Not his voice. Just that kinda generic cookie cutter rock sound. Again as I’ve stated, nothing terrible but nothing great. I’m not sure why people are getting flamed so hard for not liking the song? The thread is surely to discuss people’s opinions on the song wether that’s positive or negative? We all dig different things. Honestly though, if this song wasn’t by STP I wouldn’t be listening to it at all because it doesn’t do anything for me personally. ‘Meadow’ I liked, this one I don’t. If I think the album sucks I’ll probably say so on here too lol but I’ll be giving it a fair shot and I’m hoping for some good tunes. I’m not gonna write it off before I’ve heard it.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2018, 02:51:15 AM »

That did kinda make me chuckle... The first time I listened to it I thought it sounded a bit like the kinda songs that were on the last Art of Anarchy album with Stapp. Not his voice. Just that kinda generic cookie cutter rock sound. Again as I’ve stated, nothing terrible but nothing great. I’m not sure why people are getting flamed so hard for not liking the song? The thread is surely to discuss people’s opinions on the song wether that’s positive or negative? We all dig different things. Honestly though, if this song wasn’t by STP I wouldn’t be listening to it at all because it doesn’t do anything for me personally. ‘Meadow’ I liked, this one I don’t. If I think the album sucks I’ll probably say so on here too lol but I’ll be giving it a fair shot and I’m hoping for some good tunes. I’m not gonna write it off before I’ve heard it.

I consider myself lucky then. Cause if I heard this song on the radio I would immediately being searching the lyrics to find out who was singing, I enjoy it that much, and am indifferent on most rock bands of today.

Its just a really solid rocker...nothing meant to be a super hit or added staple...and for those who have been yearning for some heavier stuff from the boys...for me...this satisfies.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2018, 03:16:05 AM »

I consider myself lucky then. Cause if I heard this song on the radio I would immediately being searching the lyrics to find out who was singing, I enjoy it that much, and am indifferent on most rock bands of today.

Its just a really solid rocker...nothing meant to be a super hit or added staple...and for those who have been yearning for some heavier stuff from the boys...for me...this satisfies.

I’m glad people are really enjoying it. I do like me some heavy STP too, two of my favourites are ‘Coma’ (that slow breakdown in the middle followed by that solo!!) and ‘All in The Suit That You Wear’ but I wouldn’t put ‘Roll Me Under’ in a category anywhere near those 2, just my personal preference, but that’s not to say there won’t be songs that I really dig on the album, there’s still another 10 songs to hear (11 including the bonus track!) and I am looking forward to it. I’m still playing ‘Meadow’ quite regularly and enjoying that at the moment too.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2018, 05:37:20 AM »
I’m not sure why people are getting flamed so hard for not liking the song? The thread is surely to discuss people’s opinions on the song wether that’s positive or negative?
I haven't seen anyone get flamed other than the dude who likes to smear shit everywhere he goes while whining like a cunt about the same exact tired shit for several years now. 

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2018, 06:04:26 PM »
The part of the song when he first starts singing, up until the first chorus, I like less than the rest of the song. Not sure why. Just that one piece. The rest of it I love.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »
The part of the song when he first starts singing, up until the first chorus, I like less than the rest of the song. Not sure why. Just that one piece. The rest of it I love.

I think it’s the pre chorus I like the least, the “if it’s the taste you remember” part, it just seems to go on too long, it’s like get to the chorus already. The short verses and the chorus are the stronger parts of the track I think.

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:07 AM »
I was really excited when I saw this song was released.  I went to my car and put it on on repeat and blasted it three times in a row.  But my excitement was dulled after the first listen.  I loved Meadow and was so happy they were back.  I like Gutt.  But I'm really worried that this will be what the rest of the album sounds like.  This was the first time I've ever been that underwhelmed by an STP or STP-related release.  I'll give the full album a listen, but my hopes are not high.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 02:53:52 PM »
I was really excited when I saw this song was released.  I went to my car and put it on on repeat and blasted it three times in a row.  But my excitement was dulled after the first listen.  I loved Meadow and was so happy they were back.  I like Gutt.  But I'm really worried that this will be what the rest of the album sounds like.  This was the first time I've ever been that underwhelmed by an STP or STP-related release.  I'll give the full album a listen, but my hopes are not high.

I see you've never heard the self titled album.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »
I'm digging this song more than Meadow which I also like
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 11:33:40 PM »
I'm digging this song more than Meadow which I also like

Same here the more I listen the more I like and want to listen to it again. I agree the first verse is weak but it only improves from there. The weird thing about Jeff is not only do I hear some Weiland tones in his voice but also some Chester. Just hope the lyrics are a little better on other tracks. This is a great start however. I think after they grow more familiar with each other the song writing will get even better.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2018, 04:05:55 AM »
Honestly I’m going to say something like I said after meadow...

I’m not really jiving with what’s going on but that’s my own thing. Gutt is honestly the best of the four. I feel like the Instrumentals is uninspired. It reminds me of something like buckcheery or one of those flavor of the week early 2000s alternative rock bands... think crossfade or breaking Benjamin

I’m sorry. Not trying to be funny. But to me it fits right in with stuff like that

Seems like gutt is flowing with what material they’re throwing at him. He did the job and made meadow what it is with people, this track is not something I really want to hear again but gutt made it alright.

Sad that the STP title couldn’t be left alone. Call this shit army of anyone or something else.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
This song doesn't do it for me. Generic melodies and lyrics. Forgettable musically. If this was the weakest song on the record, fine, but a single? Makes me a little worried about the rest of the album.

I had the midwife naked and alone