July 02, 2024, 05:01:00 AM

Author Topic: Roll Me Under (New single)  (Read 10015 times)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Roll Me Under (New single)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »
Solid effort.  A little generic-y for me.  Hear lots of bass and drums.  Maybe trying to do too much?  Think I like Meadow a bit more, right now.  Interested.  Hope they do well.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 08:23:28 PM »
Fucking great. Love it. It's not very STP, but who cares, actually reminds me of latter day Jane's Addiction in places.

I'm just glad it wasn't an Aerosmithy type pop rocker like a lot of the last ST album. That stuff is just boring.

They sound like they care again.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »
Fucking great. Love it. It's not very STP, but who cares, actually reminds me of latter day Jane's Addiction in places.

I'm just glad it wasn't an Aerosmithy type pop rocker like a lot of the last ST album. That stuff is just boring.

I couldn't agree with you any more.  I was TERRIFIED we'd get another pop-rocker type album.  I know many will disagree, but to me the last self-titled album (#6) just didnt have that STP vibe.  This seems to right the ship, musically speaking.  STP finally sounds like their heart is back in it.  I'm hopeful that this album will continue to see the band evolve and cover new ground.  I feel more comfortable that this album wont be be a pop-rocker rehash like the #6 was. 

I'm sure I'll miss Scott's melodies and harmonies...  Jeff hasn't really shown that on the new material yet.  However, he's still the right choice for the band and I think he'll do well.  He should forge his own path.  I'm definitely encouraged by the direction of the sound though and hope STP can successfully reestablish themselves in Rock n' Roll. 

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 08:59:35 PM »
I like it. It's kinda different for STP. It definitely sounds like Dean, Robert, and Eric playing their instruments, but it doesn't sound like a song they would typically write. It's good that they are exploring new things they haven't done before as STP. The only bad thing I have to say about the song is that it does sound a bit predictable at times, especially in the chorus. I love the single-note riffs in the guitar and bass though -- reminds me of Royal Blood.

Note: Dean's guitar tones sound incredible on this song. His solo needed to be twice as long though.

So far, I think I like Meadow more, which has more of a classic STP sound, but Roll Me Under is a good song, and I'm excited to hear more new stuff.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 09:29:59 PM »
I don't hate it on first listen. I noticed myself singing Audioslave's "Show Me How To Live" in my head afterward, though.

Edit: Listening again. I think I really dig it. Way different than what I was expecting from STP.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:33:06 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »

Couldn't agree more.  I view Self-Titled(#1) almost exactly as you described it.  Generic Aerosmith pop rock sounding.  Certain parts of Roll Me Under finally have more of an aggressive/heavy sound that we haven't really heard since All in the Suit.

I too had "Show me How to Live" in my head after the first listen, as well as a little bit of Father Figure from AoA.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 10:16:57 PM »
Edit: Listening again. I think I really dig it. Way different than what I was expecting from STP.

The more I listen, the more I like it. It's got energy and ambition. These guys want to make a statement.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 10:27:55 PM »
Parts of the vocal melody at the beginning remind me of No Way Out a bit. Definitely a different animal than anything we've heard up to this point. Kretz certainly sounds like he's having a good time on it. The vocal is pretty generic, aside from a few Scott-like moments here and there. I'm not huge on it yet, it'll have to grow on me. I will say that I appreciate the slightly heavier/noisier direction of this one.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 10:30:11 PM »
Definitely reminds me of AoA. Instrumentally, it's the most ambitious thing they've released in a decade. Vocally it seems a tad generic to md, but then again so was everything Scott did after Happy.

I think this definitely should have been the lead single instead of Meadow. A much bigger "STP is back" statement then a beach-pop song.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 11:39:28 PM »
I love this song upon first listen.  One of the heaviest STP has ever recorded
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 12:32:31 AM »
Meh, listened to it twice now and it doesn’t do much for me. It doesn’t sound like a typical single, More like a filler track on an album, it just doesn’t seem to go anywhere. I much prefer ‘Meadow’, that was wayyy catchier, Jeff’s performance was more impressive on it and Dean had a decent solo that lasted longer than 5 seconds. Perhaps this song will eventually grow on me...
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:17 AM »
Seems like such a joke to me to have an entirely different forum section for the band that is releasing a brand new studio album. STP is back and ready to go. Roll Me Under is a total jam, I like it better than Meadow. Preordered the album and can't wait for the tour.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 01:51:32 AM »
Kind of on the fence with this one. I like it, but it's borderline generic. I'd like to hear it a few more times and in the context of the new disc.

One thing I like--It kind of seemed like the (first) s/t album and HR played it safe and we're cut from the same cloth. This new single seems heavier, looser, like vintage STP but still fresh.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 02:06:28 AM »
Here’s the lyrics exactly as they appear in the album booklet (I zoomed in on the Amazon picture). Also judging from that picture the album is pressed and ready to go so I wouldn’t be surprised if it leaks soon...

Roll Me Under

Do you believe in something beautiful
Between chaos and the light
You gave it all for something you once sold
The truth be told you lied

If it’s the taste you remember
You may not share in this sweet delight
Yeah we can live forever
If there’s a time we can get it right

Roll me under, I’ll pull the trigger for ya
Do with me what you will
Hold me under, the water running over
Do with me what you will

Are you receiving nothing once again
Is there shame for what’s been done
It screams so loud that you can’t begin
‘Cuz you’re always on the run

If it’s the taste you remember
You may not share in this sweet delight
Yeah we can live forever
If there’s a time we can get it right

Chorus x2
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 02:10:42 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 02:23:52 AM »
This reminds me of when "High Rise" was released. I'd better not expect anything great from the upcoming new album. It's gonna be a bummer. I hope not though!