September 29, 2024, 03:16:26 PM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63188 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #285 on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:05 AM »
I noticed when I put the CD copy into my itunes, the album was filed under Stone Temple Pilots 2010.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 16, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
I noticed when I put the CD copy into my itunes, the album was filed under Stone Temple Pilots 2010.

hahaha. no wonder about it.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 16, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
I start work at 4 AM so I was asleep when the album downloaded to iTunes.  It also only takes me 5 minutes to drive to work so I only had a chance to listen to Middle Of Nowhere and Guilty.  So far I really like those 2 songs!  Can't wait to hear the rest.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 16, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »
I'm at work and just turned it on.

I'll be back with a bunch of stupid thoughts and opinions.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 16, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
Listening to this album exactly reminds me of when I listened to the 1st S/T. :)

That's horrible news.

guvnagrover

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
On my third spin - liking it more each time.  Still, it will be awhile before I can rank it amongst the other albums.  FYI, Newbury Comics is still taking orders for the CD with an autographed booklet if anyone is interested:

https://www.newburycomics.com/products/stone_temple_pilots-stone_temple_pilots_with_autographed_cd_booklet?variant=2185399861260
"Skin is smooth I steal a glance...Dragon flies 'er' gliding over"

"Cause she could play the six string, Better than those macho pendejos...Oh Maver..."

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 16, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Loving it so far, a few average tracks, but mostly really inspired stuff. I've just given this one full listen on the way to work....

Stand-outs; Thought She'd Be Mine -> really strong song, melts my heart. Dean's playing almost makes my eyes water, so good.

Good Shoes

Dean's playing is mental on this one! Reminds me a little of "Life in the Fast Lane" (Eagles). Dean's on fire. Jeff could've let it even looser to match the wild song, but still, early favorite.

Meadow

Loved it from day one, love it still. Fun. Good single.

Middle of Nowhere

This seems like a bit of a divider, but I love it! The album needed a little nitrous oxygen.

Guilty, Just a Little Lie and Reds And Blues all sounded real good, but will have to give 'em a few more spins to really even remember which song was which.

The Art of Letting Go is a good ballad, but on the quieter side of STP, loses to Thought She'd Be Mine

I'm a little on the fence with Finest Hour and Six Eight, maybe they're growers, but both feel a little bit generic at parts.

Roll Me Under and Never Enough, despite several listens aren't really doing it for me still, but I think they're still at least okay.

All in all strong effort. Better than 2010's 'Self-titled', 'Army of Anyone' and 'High Rise'. That I feel, even with just one full listen.

I had the midwife naked and alone

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 16, 2018, 02:29:57 PM »
"Thought She'd Be Mine" has strong echoes of "i" by dada, the guitarwork especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB33h2BHAJ4

I believe Mike, Joie & Phil opened for STP way back sometime. What a pairing that would be now. If you haven't heard dada before, Mike Gurley is one of the most underrated guitarists ever.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 16, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »
"Thought She'd Be Mine" has strong echoes of "i" by dada, the guitarwork especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB33h2BHAJ4

I believe Mike, Joie & Phil opened for STP way back sometime. What a pairing that would be now. If you haven't heard dada before, Mike Gurley is one of the most underrated guitarists ever.

Yea, let's pump the brakes on that.  I'm sure he's a good guitarist.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 16, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »
God I wish this day of work would end already!

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #295 on: March 16, 2018, 03:29:47 PM »
Middle Of Nowhere starts like "Can't Stop" by RHCP, but turns into a weird amalgam of S/T and SLDD vibes.

Guilty sounds like it could've been a superior A-side to Blackheart if it was a B-Side.

Meadow of course is still quite catchy, it's probably even better in the context of the album, in my opinion.

Just A Little Lie is the most late-90's-STP-like song, great, trippy little riff.

Six Eight is pretty chunky and groove heavy, bit of an Aerosmith feel.

Thought She'd Be Mine is beautiful, we get another vintage, softer STP track here. I feel like this incarnation is doing their best work on softer songs. Which I don't mind at all. The softer tracks are some of my favorites in the STP catalogue.

Roll Me Under is still a bit generic to me but does make more sense in the context of the record.

I'll have to listen to the rest later.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 16, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »
My album download link came via email last night as I attended the Sacramento concert.

I already ordered and am picking up the deluxe version from Best Buy today.

Pretty good album so far. Very excited to hear the two bonus songs.

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 16, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
Solid album. I was discouraged when i heard the 30 second clips. But all around is a good record. Im curious of the 2 bonus songs also. Jeff sounds just like SLDD Scott. Like hauntingly identical in some verses i like that.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 16, 2018, 04:05:48 PM »
Loving the album so far. I don't think there's a dud on the album.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 16, 2018, 04:54:30 PM »

Could only really sample it on the way to work after dropping off my son with his grandparents. My first thoughts are...very similar to other non-Weiland Deleo projects. Lots of good stuff, as well as lots of stuff where you can just tell the chemistry isn't there. Of course, it's easier to swallow now that a reunion with Scott is impossible. And Jeff fits much better than Coutts, Patrick, or Bennington. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot to like with Talk Show and Army of Anyone, and I still like parts of High Rise.

That said, there is nothing so far to move me from my long standing opinion that self-producing doesn't push you the same way having someone there to push you does. The best-sounding release the Deleos have had since SLDD is Army of Anyone, which Bob Ezrin produced. The acoustic songs here sound pretty good, but everything else sounds to me like I'm listening to it underwater.

That said, every STP record had to grow on me, so I will continue to listen. This is also the first release where I had 4 songs ahead of time, so I am sort of judging this outside of those songs, which isn't fair. Art of Letting Go is a great, great song, vintage STP. Meadow I like a lot, and Roll Me Under, while I am not as thrilled, gets stuck in my head. I also like Never Enough a lot.

The last two songs that stick out in my head as being memorable riffs are Black Heart and the chorus to It Doesn't Seem to Matter. At first listen, that's missing here. But I still need some time to digest.

Sigh. What's the point of an iTunes preorder if, upon the album's release, it is available for purchase, but your preorder isn't available for download. Ridiculous.

That’s weird.  It downloaded automatically on my device last night at 11 PM (EST)

Last night at 9:45pm PST, I checked and it said "purchased," but it was not available to download yet. I got out the computer, signed into iTunes, same thing. Signed out, signed into my wife's account, and I could purchase it. Back into mine, purchased, but not yet available for download.

Finally got the email at 1:27am that it was available for download. When I bought the Super Deluxe Core reissue from Amazon, the mp3s were available right away the night before. So no more iTunes preorders for me, ever.