September 29, 2024, 07:25:19 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63127 times)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
Note: The verse of The Art of Letting Go has the same chord progression as the verse in Adhesive: Amaj7 > C#m9

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
Note: The verse of The Art of Letting Go has the same chord progression as the verse in Adhesive: Amaj7 > C#m9
I was listening to this song in the car today and totally noticed the similarities to adhesive too. 

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
Great stuff!!!

Alright this new track is really cool and really well done. Gutt is doing amazing with these guys. Props to all of them. For the band to be carrying the legacy forward they are sounding really good.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
I was listening to this song in the car today and totally noticed the similarities to adhesive too. 

Oh yeah, the similarities to Adhesive don't end there.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »
I hear more Fill the Fields than Adhesive.

The solos my fav part of this song
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2018, 01:26:43 AM »
With comparisons being made between ‘The Art of Letting Go’ and songs like ‘Fill The Fields’ and ‘Atlanta’ it got me to thinking...

Do you think there will be any outside musicians adding their magic to any songs on this album? I loved the piano on ‘Fill The Fields’ and the strings on ‘Atlanta’ and ‘Kitchenware...’ and there’s no doubt in my mind that those songs wouldn’t have been as good without them.

I like ‘The Art of Letting Go’ but who knows how it would’ve sounded with some strings or piano flourishes here and there? There wasn’t much in terms of additional instrumentation on ‘Army of Anyone’, ‘Self Titled’ (keyboards on FKOM) and ‘High Rise’. Is it just that using these session musicians is really expensive or is it that they decided theirbsongs no longer need this stuff?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 01:29:15 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2018, 01:45:06 AM »
With comparisons being made between ‘The Art of Letting Go’ and songs like ‘Fill The Fields’ and ‘Atlanta’ it got me to thinking...

Do you think there will be any outside musicians adding their magic to any songs on this album? I loved the piano on ‘Fill The Fields’ and the strings on ‘Atlanta’ and ‘Kitchenware...’ and there’s no doubt in my mind that those songs wouldn’t have been as good without them.

I like ‘The Art of Letting Go’ but who knows how it would’ve sounded with some strings or piano flourishes here and there? There wasn’t much in terms of additional instrumentation on ‘Army of Anyone’, ‘Self Titled’ (keyboards on FKOM) and ‘High Rise’. Is it just that using these session musicians is really expensive or is it that they decided theirbsongs no longer need this stuff?

I have a feeling there was a lot of Brendan O'Brien influence when it came to that kind of stuff.   At a minimum Tiny Music had the trumpet player on Adhesive, No.4 had string sections on Atlanta, and Brendan himself played a bunch of piano/percussion/etc. on No.4/SLDD and such.  In fact Paul Leary of Butthole Surfers played guitar on Lounge Fly.   Since Paul Leary was on Purple, it also makes me wonder why aren't there more cameos of other artists on their records?  I think some of their best songs are the ones with the great layering of different instruments, that are not simply the vocals/guitar/bass/drums.  I mean, Transmissions From a Lonely Room had Robert playing an electric sitar on it!

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2018, 02:05:42 AM »

I have a feeling there was a lot of Brendan O'Brien influence when it came to that kind of stuff.   At a minimum Tiny Music had the trumpet player on Adhesive, No.4 had string sections on Atlanta, and Brendan himself played a bunch of piano/percussion/etc. on No.4/SLDD and such.  In fact Paul Leary of Butthole Surfers played guitar on Lounge Fly.   Since Paul Leary was on Purple, it also makes me wonder why aren't there more cameos of other artists on their records?  I think some of their best songs are the ones with the great layering of different instruments, that are not simply the vocals/guitar/bass/drums.  I mean, Transmissions From a Lonely Room had Robert playing an electric sitar on it!

According to the credits for the Talk Show album Kretzel played the following -  Drums, Mellotron, Organ, Organ (Hammond), Percussion, Piano, Vocals.
Talented guy!

I do agree though that I think much of that sort of thing was Brendan’s influence. SLDD has such awesome production, although there aren’t any string sections as such I love all the subtle little things going on in the songs, ‘Black Again’ is a good example, is that a xylophone in the background on the second verse?

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2018, 02:42:35 AM »
SLDD has such awesome production, although there aren’t any string sections as such I love all the subtle little things going on in the songs, ‘Black Again’ is a good example, is that a xylophone in the background on the second verse?

Exactly.  Those little subtle things are part of the reason I obsess over STP songs, and why I'm desperate to hear more isolated tracks.  When they released the isolated stems for Bi-Polar Bear, Atlanta, and Adhesive it really puts the quality of the mixing and productions into perspective.  There are so many little HIDDEN GEMS in STP tracks that you can only hear if you really focus on it.  I love that kind of stuff.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2018, 03:38:56 AM »
I agree with the overall sentiment here regarding "The Art of Letting Go." The DeLeos and Kretz sound like pre-reunion STP which is GREAT and I really like Jeff Gutt's performance as well.

One interesting thought I had though...I don't think the lyrics were written with the intention to be about Scott and his passing at all, and I don't think the song is directly about that anyway. But when I first saw the track listing a couple weeks ago the first thing I thought of when seeing this song title was that it could be an emotional track regarding Scott, his passing, and learning to "let go."

Do you guys think this song's title could be intended as a form of "peaceful subliminal messaging" trying to coax fans into letting go and accept this new iteration of STP? And I don't mean in any type of disingenuous, misguided way. Just with a semblance of peace. I dont even know if I actually think this is all true, but just something I've thought about while reflecting and enjoying this impressive tune.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2018, 03:56:55 AM »
I agree with the overall sentiment here regarding "The Art of Letting Go." The DeLeos and Kretz sound like pre-reunion STP which is GREAT and I really like Jeff Gutt's performance as well.

One interesting thought I had though...I don't think the lyrics were written with the intention to be about Scott and his passing at all, and I don't think the song is directly about that anyway. But when I first saw the track listing a couple weeks ago the first thing I thought of when seeing this song title was that it could be an emotional track regarding Scott, his passing, and learning to "let go."

Do you guys think this song's title could be intended as a form of "peaceful subliminal messaging" trying to coax fans into letting go and accept this new iteration of STP? And I don't mean in any type of disingenuous, misguided way. Just with a semblance of peace. I dont even know if I actually think this is all true, but just something I've thought about while reflecting and enjoying this impressive tune.

A few of these new songs lyrically seem like they could be about the loss of Scott and the new beginnings of STP.

From ‘Meadow -  “I’ve got something to say but you’ve already made, made your way... When you’re gone here’s a song I’ll be thinking about you, I’ll remember your ways and the thrills that you gave, gave away”

From ‘The Art of Letting Go’ - “keep in time we’re moving to the new beat” and “I hope to see your face again but somedays far too long of a road”

From ‘Never Enough’ - “Now you tell me [/size]that you can do betterBut we both know you can’t ‘cuz you’ll neverPut away your anarchy‘Cuz now we both know that you’re No good for me”

It’s possible of course these may not have anything to do with Scott but they did stand out to me and I could see Jeff perhaps writing from the perspective of the Deleo’s a little and drawing from their loss as inspiration lyrically here and there but in a subtle way.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:00:25 AM by CagedTiger »

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2018, 07:41:39 PM »
Best Buy will have an exclusive version with a couple of bonus tracks (I thought they were no longer selling CDs??):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/stone-...cks-only--best-buy-cd/6198570.p?skuId=6198570

Of course BestBuy doesn't ship to Europe...

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2018, 09:48:02 PM »
Best Buy will have an exclusive version with a couple of bonus tracks (I thought they were no longer selling CDs??):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/stone-...cks-only--best-buy-cd/6198570.p?skuId=6198570

Of course BestBuy doesn't ship to Europe...

Sounds like someone needs a mule in the US to send it to him? I wonder if that person knows anyone. Maybe a certain Cleveland girl he has known for 20 years or so?

You know how to find me. ❤️
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »
Sounds like someone needs a mule in the US to send it to him? I wonder if that person knows anyone. Maybe a certain Cleveland girl he has known for 20 years or so?

You know how to find me. ❤️
I was just about to offer the same thing.  Definitely don't hesitate to ask if you ever need anything.  Always happy to help you. 

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2018, 09:51:56 PM »
Anyone fancy being my mule for the Best Buy Edition? Lol
I live in the UK and they don’t ship here :( obviously I would Paypal the money over first...
There’s a few on eBay selling it but shipping seems really high. It was working out about £25 total for the album.

Heads up for UK folk, the regular edition is only £9.99 with free shipping on base.com, lowest price I’ve seen. I ordered the SW & The Wildabouts album from there when it was released too.