September 29, 2024, 09:19:32 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63150 times)

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2018, 05:39:28 PM »
The Art Of Letting Go is the most musically inspired the DeLeos have been since SLDD.  I don't think it's a radio hit but it's an awesome album track.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2018, 06:10:24 PM »

But would you go as far as to think that some of that material may have had vocal melodies down as well?

Sharing and hearing feedback from people on Meadow, Roll Me Under, and The Art, not in a negative way, but many people think its almost Scott's ghost singing...and imo, no disrespect to Jeff, but I can't see someone hitting the nail on the head in filling Scott's shoes so well...unless maybe the rest of the album doesn't have the Scott vibe the same way the first three tunes we've heard, or maybe Jeff was given a vocal template?

In the end, were getting a new record in less than 4 weeks. So pumped!

I seriously doubt the guys are in possession of a bunch of demos/outtakes with Scott's actual recorded vocals on.
Now, if the Deleos have a bunch of olds songs written with Scott in mind, is a whole other thing.

Well I'd have a hard time agreeing with you on the idea that demos/outtakes don't exist.

SLDD was supposed to be a double album...you don't plan on 25-30 songs and then only demo the ones that were on SLDD then record final product. Only Dying and The Way She Moves are examples of this. And this band put out 6 albums...there is def left overs.

Think about it...had us die-hards not known known about Only Dying or TWSM, they easily could have re-recorded them with Jeff laying vocals and putting the touch on them.

By no means would I think less of the band, Jeff, etc....I just think its an interesting thing to wonder.

It makes you wonder if the Deleo's writing guided Scotts melodies, or vice versa, or simply a cohesive system of talent.

I suppose, if I had to break it down into one idea...we've seen Scott sing without the rest of STP, and we have seen the rest of STP play without Scott. Neither have produced such an STP tone on their own until now. So I guess that is was makes me wonder if some vocal templates existed to go off of.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:12:22 PM by Plushman »

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:30 PM »
Best Buy will have an exclusive version with a couple of bonus tracks (I thought they were no longer selling CDs??):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/stone-...cks-only--best-buy-cd/6198570.p?skuId=6198570 

I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2018, 06:33:38 PM »

On the topic of vocal melodies...

With all due respect to Scott's amazing melody-writing, I definitely believe that melodies suggested by the Deleos have found their way onto Scott-sung songs. I cite some of the melodic ideas on Talk Show's "Saturday" as an example. "Glide" shows a more embellished melody, without question, but the direction is clearly there on "Saturday".

With that said, STP clearly carved their sound out long ago. Maybe their music brings forth a certain something. I mean, both Chester and now Jeff have seemingly displayed what we call "Scott-isms" in some of their delivery. Maybe they are deliberate in order to honor that familiar sound. Or maybe Robert and Dean are very hands on and we should really call them "STP-isms".  ;D
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2018, 06:36:05 PM »
Best Buy will have an exclusive version with a couple of bonus tracks (I thought they were no longer selling CDs??):

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/stone-...cks-only--best-buy-cd/6198570.p?skuId=6198570 

Sweet!!!
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
Bonus Tracks! Already done. Forget Forever.

Man...good stuff.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2018, 07:10:28 PM »
I'm not a big fan of shop specific special editions though, they are all about driving business to a trader, not about providing the best experience for the people buying it.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:08 PM »
Jeffs really channeling Scott during Deans solo with the "ohh" or whatever that vocal is, and the solo is very "And So I Know" ish, good song.

Its also up on Spotify
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:50:40 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:24 PM »
I'm not a big fan of shop specific special editions though, they are all about driving business to a trader, not about providing the best experience for the people buying it.

If you're a big fan, buy it on pledgemusic so you can get the updates about progress, but if you want all the songs, get it from bestbuy, and if you want to download the songs are they get released get it from itunes.  What a garbage system. No wonder the music industry is hurtin.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »

Sweet!!!

They announced they will stop carrying them in the store. Online is a different environment. I guess the days of going to the store to get albums like this are pretty much over. I used to have a Best Buy down the road from my house and remember walking there to get 12BB. Now, everything is online and physical stores are closing all over the place. 

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2018, 09:46:50 PM »
Well, this right here is the sort of thing I’ve been waiting to hear from the Deleo’s again since Army Of Anyone in 2006 and it has restored my faith in the new album after the rather lacklustre ‘Roll Me Under’, which I felt was more on par with the (mostly) dull ‘High Rise’ and S/T10 material.
It’s great to hear them experimenting with softer more melodic stuff again. I’ve always loved that side of STP and I’ve missed it.

Being such a huge Scott fan I can’t say I was too excited for a ‘Scotless Temple Pilots’ when I first heard they were continuing with a new singer and while I’d love nothing more than to hear Scott singing over this music I have to say Jeff has a great voice and I do like what he’s done on this new song and ‘Meadow’.

I’m digging 2 out of 3 tracks I’ve heard so far and considering I didn’t like a single track on ‘High Rise’ this is exciting stuff for me. I’m really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

I really want to grab that Best Buy CD with the 2 bonus tracks but I’m pretty sure they don’t ship to the UK??

Also on a side note, someone has already uploaded an acoustic cover for ‘The Art...’ on YouTube!
https://youtu.be/o2bySBJZjuo
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2018, 11:09:45 PM »

I really want to grab that Best Buy CD with the 2 bonus tracks but I’m pretty sure they don’t ship to the UK??

It'll surface on Amazon resellers and Ebay soon enough.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:11:37 PM by Pingfah »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2018, 11:29:07 PM »
Just heard The Art of Letting Go. Love it. Beautiful song. Really stunning work on all accounts.

I love that the DeLeos are delving back into these jazzier chords. Reminds me of the SLDD outtakes. Jeff does a great job of creating vocals that are new and interesting while still sounding like something Scott might have written. I love the message and how the music reflects this in a meaningful way, but not too serious -- more positive and peaceful.

This feels new, but it feels right. It feels warm and comforting to my ears. Just a lovely song.

Edit: The variety we have gotten from these three new songs is fantastic. They've done the catchy rock radio song, the AoA-style hard rocker, and now the relaxed jazzy ballad. If every song is this varied and maintains the quality of these three, "Butterfly" will be a very good album!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:36:42 PM by EyesOfDisarray »

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2018, 07:52:18 AM »
Very good song! Jeff and Dean stand out. I like that they've released three songs that showcase the different sides to STP (although 'Roll Me Under' didn't do it for me). Can't wait for the full album!

I had the midwife naked and alone

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
Enjoying this one much better than Roll Me Under. Was concerned about the direction the album was heading in after hearing that one but this track rights the ship a bit, and interestingly enough it's Gutt who really elevates this one.

The solo is nice, and as mentioned by others, quite reminiscent of And So I Know, especially right around the 3:34 mark. But it's Gutt's performance doing most of the work here, and I have to say I'm really impressed. The generic rock voice from Roll Me Under is completely gone, and in its place a dynamic range going from the  smooth lows of the verses to the epic highs of that soaring chorus.

After having my expectations tempered a bit by Roll Me Under, I'm excited for what's to come next.

EDIT after reading some of the prior posts: I don't think Jeff is singing over Scott written melodies. It was hard enough to get the songs out of him they did for S/T, I really doubt there are any scraps left over. The reason it sounds so familiar, and the reason some CheSTP stuff had a "Scott element" to it, is because it's still the same guys writing the music, that's where the familiarity is coming from. You can call it the ghost of Scott, and maybe Jeff is trying to emulate Scott a bit, but to me it just sounds like STP, and the reason for that being Dean, Robert, and Eric still have a dominant influence over the sound.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 02:55:00 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.