September 29, 2024, 05:23:36 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63115 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2018, 05:27:26 PM »
I thought Art of Anarchy was the worst project Scott was ever involved in. Scott's melodies and singing were the best thing about the debut, but the great  or even good songs just weren't there.
Agreed, and I've assumed that was the general consensus among all Weiland/STP fans since the album came out.

It only appears to be the ‘general consensus’ on this board to be honest. Me and my friends (All STP fans) enjoyed the album a lot during Summer 2015 and I remember reading literally hundreds of positive comments about the album on Art of Anarchy’s Facebook page in the comments section, so there’s plenty of people who like the album. I’ve never really cared what the general consensus is on this board though. I think a lot of people tried to convince themselves they liked the Peace album in 2010, hell I tried to get into it myself but unfortunately there’s no denying it was underwhelming and sub par by STP’s standards, it probably doesn’t help that many of us had been anticipating it for so long and had pretty high expectations for it. Up to that point I thought those 4 together were incapable of making a bad album.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2018, 05:35:36 PM »
For me the worst Scott project was Happy in Galoshes by a mile. That album is just booooring. A mish mash of non committal, wishy washy crap with a few terrible covers thrown in. Compared to 12BB, it is an absolute dog. But I think a lot of that came down to the difference between working with people like Daniel Lanois, Victor Indrizzo and Martyn LeNoble, as opposed to working with the likes of Doug Grean. The 1 disc is a little mroe bearable than the deluxe edition, but still only has a handful of interesting tracks on it.

Man, I love HIG. It's maybe not on the same level of 12BB but there are a lot of interesting songs on there. Agreed on some of the covers (looking at you, Fame) and it's a bit long but some of my favorite Scott work is on there (Paralysis, The Man I Didn't Know, Sometimes Chicken Soup). It also felt like a true passion project for him, everything from the music to the videos, the Paralysis vid is a true work of art. Love the overall mood of it too, which the title captures perfectly.

I think if he had made it a 12 track single album, trimmed some of the fat and knocked off the covers it would have been better received. Unfortunately only Disc 1 is on Spotify, leaving off some of my favorites.

I began to have issues with what Scott and the Deleos were doing sometime after SLDD. The music from both ends just began to feel very different, and while I understand the group and Scott were changing, I thought 12BB was a superior musical effort when compared to HIG. With 12BB, I would say MOST of the songs are fantastic: Divider, Son, Where's The Man? The Date, and Barbarella are among my favorites. However, with HIG, I had the same issue I had with the S/T: I found myself in a position where I was talking myself into liking it simply because it had Scott's name on it. As others have said, there are SOME good songs there, but that remains my issue exactly. We get two discs and with them comes a few good tracks? I had the opposite problem with 12BB.

Growing up listening to STP, I immediately loved everything they wrote upon first listen and there was no debate about it. Today, whether it's Blaster, the S/T, or even the new songs, I have to listen to them over and over again just to sort of like them. To me, that's an issue.

Loungefly90, that is pretty much exactly how I feel regarding everything after SLDD. Did you enjoy Scott’s work with Velvet Revolver at all? I remember hearing ‘Slither’ first and thinking it was awesome and then being a bit underwhelmed by ‘Contraband’ on the whole, although after repeated listens it did grow on me. Also they were AMAZING live when I saw them in 2005, Scott was really in the zone. I’d still rate the first 5 STP albums a lot higher than the 2 VR albums though. Scott & The Deleo’s 92-2002 were just magical.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
For me the worst Scott project was Happy in Galoshes by a mile. That album is just booooring. A mish mash of non committal, wishy washy crap with a few terrible covers thrown in. Compared to 12BB, it is an absolute dog. But I think a lot of that came down to the difference between working with people like Daniel Lanois, Victor Indrizzo and Martyn LeNoble, as opposed to working with the likes of Doug Grean. The 1 disc is a little mroe bearable than the deluxe edition, but still only has a handful of interesting tracks on it.

Man, I love HIG. It's maybe not on the same level of 12BB but there are a lot of interesting songs on there. Agreed on some of the covers (looking at you, Fame) and it's a bit long but some of my favorite Scott work is on there (Paralysis, The Man I Didn't Know, Sometimes Chicken Soup). It also felt like a true passion project for him, everything from the music to the videos, the Paralysis vid is a true work of art. Love the overall mood of it too, which the title captures perfectly.

I think if he had made it a 12 track single album, trimmed some of the fat and knocked off the covers it would have been better received. Unfortunately only Disc 1 is on Spotify, leaving off some of my favorites.

I began to have issues with what Scott and the Deleos were doing sometime after SLDD. The music from both ends just began to feel very different, and while I understand the group and Scott were changing, I thought 12BB was a superior musical effort when compared to HIG. With 12BB, I would say MOST of the songs are fantastic: Divider, Son, Where's The Man? The Date, and Barbarella are among my favorites. However, with HIG, I had the same issue I had with the S/T: I found myself in a position where I was talking myself into liking it simply because it had Scott's name on it. As others have said, there are SOME good songs there, but that remains my issue exactly. We get two discs and with them comes a few good tracks? I had the opposite problem with 12BB.

Growing up listening to STP, I immediately loved everything they wrote upon first listen and there was no debate about it. Today, whether it's Blaster, the S/T, or even the new songs, I have to listen to them over and over again just to sort of like them. To me, that's an issue.

Loungefly90, that is pretty much exactly how I feel regarding everything after SLDD. Did you enjoy Scott’s work with Velvet Revolver at all? I remember hearing ‘Slither’ first and thinking it was awesome and then being a bit underwhelmed by ‘Contraband’ on the whole, although after repeated listens it did grow on me. Also they were AMAZING live when I saw them in 2005, Scott was really in the zone. I’d still rate the first 5 STP albums a lot higher than the 2 VR albums though. Scott & The Deleo’s 92-2002 were just magical.

As far as VR goes, I will admit I got very caught up in the Supergroup idea. In other words, when I saw that Scott and Slash were playing together, I just about lost my mind in a positive way. I hadn't been that excited for a project Scott was a part of since I heard SLDD may be a double album. When I finally saw that they were recording an album with a tour to follow, my excitement and interest grew for sure.

For the band itself, part of me thinks it's a sad GN'R ripoff, and the other part of me thinks, "Well, aren't these the guys from GN'R though?" So, of course there's a GN'R feel. It's probably like saying Army of Anyone is a bit similar to STP. The reason why isn't difficult to find. The name of the group was good, but that was the real blatant GN'R ripoff part.

All I know was that I was very happy the band toured extensively and was playing these mega festivals and some very large venues. I felt like Scott had not been in that type of atmosphere in a while, and the small details matter too. For example, prior to each show, the band played (via recording) the opening to A Clockwork Orange, something STP would have likely never done as it just didn't fit their group. In a way, it was interesting to see Scott around the whole sex, drugs, and rock and roll (not that he hadn't had enough of that already), but everything about VR was so different than STP, but somehow, our chameleon Scott wore it like a glove.

Another important aspect was concert time. When I saw them in 2007 touring Libertad, the concert ran close to two hours when most of the STP concerts I saw in the same exact venue in 2000 and 2008 ran about 80 minutes. I'm unsure if the expectations were different since it was guys from GN'R or something, but the shows just felt fuller if that makes any sense. I often watch this bootleg I have from Purple and at the end of filming, the band ends the show 70 minutes in and the guy filming goes, "That's it?" VR shows just felt really fulfilling.

For the music itself, most of it delivered. I enjoyed Contraband, but think the band fell apart on Libertad. From Contraband, "Do It for the Kids", "Illegal i Song", "Set Me Free", "You Got No Right", and "Loving the Alien" are all terrific. All in all, I think the group was great, but it was obvious it wouldn't last and I am often shocked it lasted as long as it did. 

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
I think the hiatus in 2002 was the end to a lot of the original “energy” these guys had as a group. I’m sure there’s a better way to word that, I feel bad for saying that because it’s an insult to these guys who’s music is with me each day. It just sonically felt like the original vibe never was heard again after that hiatus...

Now there’s no denying that there are amazing songs and pieces that came out from these guys and there’s even good songs on Self Titled but it always felt different.

With Velvet Revolver I was really into that because I was still new to all these guys around 01 and 02... sadly that STP breakup was announced shortly after I was really moved and discovering everything they had done for myself. So I was ready to enjoy Scott’s run with VR. saw one of their early shows and it was just as the videos of them in 04 and 05 all seems to be. Cincy 2004 was amazing.

Since then contraband has really lost a lot of traction with me. I hate the production with it... and a lot of the songs need me to be in a special headspace to dig. There are a handful of songs I’ll keep with me through the days... but I’ve lost interest in a lot of VR as a whole project in hindsight

To be honest... I just had this thought on a long car ride with the usual STP catalog in full swing. I feel what may have made the shows and music so amazing in their first 10 years may have been the struggles these guys were forced to deal with from each other. They would come back more determined to show everyone what they were committed to do. I feel that alone drove them through the amazing tours they played 99-2002.

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »
I just noticed ITunes added the run time for The Art of Letting Go from the new album on the ITunes album page. Looks like we may be getting another song off the new album to listen to this week.
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »
1.   "Middle of Nowhere"       3:41
2.   "Guilty"       3:14
3.   "Meadow"       3:28
4.   "Just a Little Lie"       4:00
5.   "Six Eight"       3:33
6.   "Thought She'd Be Mine"       5:31
7.   "Roll Me Under"   Robert DeLeo   3:45
8.   "Never Enough"       3:46
9.   "The Art of Letting Go"       4:35
10.   "Finest Hour"       4:11
11.   "Good Shoes"       3:39
12.   "Reds & Blues"       5:00

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:48 PM »
Well if my quick brain addition is accurate, that clocks in as the longest STP album since Core.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
Well if my quick brain addition is accurate, that clocks in as the longest STP album since Core.
You are correct (not counting Thank You, for obvious reasons)

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
That's great news! Wouldn't have expected that
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »

I don't think we give enough consideration to song lengths. I felt the S/T was a generally rushed effort (people are probably tired of me repeating myself) and that their longer efforts proved to be overall much better albums. Core, Purple, and SLDD are the best examples even if they are only a few minutes longer. Let's hope this is true here.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:38 AM »
I’m guessing online retailers will be posting short samples of each track online soon, I’ve had a quick search but haven’t found anything yet. It’s good to see some of the tracks surpassing the 5 Minute mark!

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »
Does anyone know how to use your concert ticket to get a free copy of the album? I haven't read anything as to how this is going to work.

Thanks!
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2018, 02:26:49 PM »

I don't think we give enough consideration to song lengths. I felt the S/T was a generally rushed effort (people are probably tired of me repeating myself) and that their longer efforts proved to be overall much better albums. Core, Purple, and SLDD are the best examples even if they are only a few minutes longer. Let's hope this is true here.

That album was total garbage.  I don't get sick of the truth.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2018, 02:37:10 PM »
Theory doesn't hold for Tiny Music though. That was the album that broke the mould, and defined who they are IMO. A undeniably huge creative outpouring, with spectacular attention to detail, even if it doesn't do it for you.

Also the shortest album of the classic era.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2018, 06:28:24 PM »
Theory doesn't hold for Tiny Music though. That was the album that broke the mould, and defined who they are IMO. A undeniably huge creative outpouring, with spectacular attention to detail, even if it doesn't do it for you.

Also the shortest album of the classic era.
I'd argue with that for sure. I personally don't find Tiny Music any more creative than Purple or No. 4, just different. In fact, I find No. 4 to be a more masterful attempt at some of the things they tried between Purple and Tiny Music both.