September 29, 2024, 07:34:42 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63141 times)

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2018, 06:02:41 AM »
The only song I still listen to from that album is ‘First Kiss On Mars’ and occasionally ‘Take A Load Off’, they were also the only 2 that stood out to me the very first time I listened to that record. They definitely regressed with this album as you pointed out, I’m not sure if it was the time apart or a lack of ideas but that album was a huge anti climax, I was just like how can 4 talented guys with such a great track record come out with this?! ‘Contraband’ and ‘Army of Anyone’ were both albums that were far superior to S/T...

No love for 'Maver'?  I think the album definitely has a few stinkers, but I've always loved that song.  A shame it was never played live

Unfortunately not. The thing with ‘Maver’ is it’s probably one of the most interesting songs on the album musically but Scott was in story telling mode on a lot of songs lyrically on S/T and I just didn’t enjoy the whole ‘betting on the ponies’ thing. If he’d have wrote from a more personal perspective, like he usually did, to that music I think it could’ve been great. He got back to that a bit on the slower songs on Art of Anarchy and Blaster though. Songs like ‘Death of It’ and ‘Circles’ were quite touching.

Get on Down by Art of Anarchy made me think Scott had completely returned. I listened to that jam hundreds of times. Because of that, it made me feel like the Deleos failed om S/T as i was convinced Scott still had it and they lost it. Many of his melodies and lyrics made me sad he didnt stay with the group. I loved their music and find it to be umderrated. It was a good substitute but i think the band was too metal for Scott, but he seemed very comfortable. My opinion, but i think he wanted Blaster to be successful, but also wanted to keep hanging with people who didnt care if he did drugs or not. I just hate how they kept propping him up each night when he couldnt even put on his jacket without help.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:17 AM »
The only song I still listen to from that album is ‘First Kiss On Mars’ and occasionally ‘Take A Load Off’, they were also the only 2 that stood out to me the very first time I listened to that record. They definitely regressed with this album as you pointed out, I’m not sure if it was the time apart or a lack of ideas but that album was a huge anti climax, I was just like how can 4 talented guys with such a great track record come out with this?! ‘Contraband’ and ‘Army of Anyone’ were both albums that were far superior to S/T...

No love for 'Maver'?  I think the album definitely has a few stinkers, but I've always loved that song.  A shame it was never played live

Unfortunately not. The thing with ‘Maver’ is it’s probably one of the most interesting songs on the album musically but Scott was in story telling mode on a lot of songs lyrically on S/T and I just didn’t enjoy the whole ‘betting on the ponies’ thing. If he’d have wrote from a more personal perspective, like he usually did, to that music I think it could’ve been great. He got back to that a bit on the slower songs on Art of Anarchy and Blaster though. Songs like ‘Death of It’ and ‘Circles’ were quite touching.

Maver is one of my favorite STP songs because of Scott's story telling lyrical style. It's still a very emotional and personal song despite not being autobiographical. It's a great bookend to STP's career.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2018, 06:36:11 AM »

Get on Down by Art of Anarchy made me think Scott had completely returned. I listened to that jam hundreds of times. Because of that, it made me feel like the Deleos failed om S/T as i was convinced Scott still had it and they lost it. Many of his melodies and lyrics made me sad he didnt stay with the group. I loved their music and find it to be umderrated. It was a good substitute but i think the band was too metal for Scott, but he seemed very comfortable. My opinion, but i think he wanted Blaster to be successful, but also wanted to keep hanging with people who didnt care if he did drugs or not. I just hate how they kept propping him up each night when he couldnt even put on his jacket without help.

Agreed. I feel like I’m in the minority around here but I really like the Art of Anarchy album with Scott on, more the slower tracks than the balls out rockers though. I enjoy it much more than STP’s S/T in fact, but again much of that is down to Scott’s personal and more introspective lyrics (again on the slower tracks) and some great unexpected vocal melodies (That high pitched vocal on ‘Long Ago’ is an example of what I mean). The album came out during a rough time in my life and songs like ‘Get On Down’, ‘Death of It’ and ‘Aqualung’ really helped me during that time. I was pleasantly surprised Scott could still write lyrics and melodies like these and his vocals sounded really good, despite being recorded in 2013 he sounded better here than on 2010’s S/T.
To be honest though if you listen to the instrumental tracks from S/T they’re pretty generic and uninspired and perhaps that’s why Scott took the storytelling route lyrically on that album, I mean it’s not like they handed him an ‘Atlanta’ or ‘Adhesive’ to work with, as I say the closest thing to that musically would’ve been ‘Maver’ as it actually had some interesting stuff going on. When I look back now I think perhaps at the time the music Art of Anarchy sent him just inspired him more. He was fresh out of STP and he had a lot of personal stuff going on and I think he poured that into those lyrics. Regarding his distancing of himself from the band, that was definitely due to ‘Blaster’ having just been released, he didn’t want anything to steal the shine from that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:46:04 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »

Agreed. I feel like I’m in the minority around here but I really like the Art of Anarchy album with Scott on, more the slower tracks than the balls out rockers though. I enjoy it much more than STP’s S/T in fact, but again much of that is down to Scott’s personal and more introspective lyrics (again on the slower tracks) and some great unexpected vocal melodies (That high pitched vocal on ‘Long Ago’ is an example of what I mean). The album came out during a rough time in my life and songs like ‘Get On Down’, ‘Death of It’ and ‘Aqualung’ really helped me during that time. I was pleasantly surprised Scott could still write lyrics and melodies like these and his vocals sounded really good, despite being recorded in 2013 he sounded better here than on 2010’s S/T.
To be honest though if you listen to the instrumental tracks from S/T they’re pretty generic and uninspired and perhaps that’s why Scott took the storytelling route lyrically on that album, I mean it’s not like they handed him an ‘Atlanta’ or ‘Adhesive’ to work with, as I say the closest thing to that musically would’ve been ‘Maver’ as it actually had some interesting stuff going on. When I look back now I think perhaps at the time the music Art of Anarchy sent him just inspired him more. He was fresh out of STP and he had a lot of personal stuff going on and I think he poured that into those lyrics. Regarding his distancing of himself from the band, that was definitely due to ‘Blaster’ having just been released, he didn’t want anything to steal the shine from that.

Completely correct. When I place fault with the S/T record, I first of all cannot stand the music. So, I feel comfortable with an 80/20 fault with most of that resting on the shoulders of the Deleos. The music to me is crap. Although STP is my favorite group, I have honestly listened to that album once or twice and absolutely refused to talk myself into liking it. As a fan of the band for so long, I wasn't going to lie just because the record had the STP label on it and say it was great when it was terrible. I completely agree that Scott could not help the music he was given though. That entire album just felt like someone told them they needed to make an album of songs and they had one hour to do it.

When it came time for Chester to do his thing on their few tracks, I felt like those were just extensions of what I already heard on the S/T. Same quick songs, terribly constructed, and the music was just as annoying. And I honestly thought that if Scott stopped being Scott and couldn't turn crap music into beauty, that Chester could find a way. NOPE. High Rise was the first STP effort I passed on buying.

As far as Art of Anarchy goes, it was great to see Scott playing with such great musicians and I started to love him again as I did with VR. My belief in Scott seemed to have gone up and down over the years. I of course thought he did great things in STP, loved 12 BB, hated Happy in Galoshes, didn't like Blaster, loved VR, and loved his work in AOA. I just really can't get away from the fact that Scott continued touring with that Blaster group due to the drug usage going on there. Even Dean said in an interview those guys, "Continued to feed him all that he was." Very sad. 

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:48 PM »

Completely correct. When I place fault with the S/T record, I first of all cannot stand the music. So, I feel comfortable with an 80/20 fault with most of that resting on the shoulders of the Deleos. The music to me is crap. Although STP is my favorite group, I have honestly listened to that album once or twice and absolutely refused to talk myself into liking it. As a fan of the band for so long, I wasn't going to lie just because the record had the STP label on it and say it was great when it was terrible. I completely agree that Scott could not help the music he was given though. That entire album just felt like someone told them they needed to make an album of songs and they had one hour to do it.

When it came time for Chester to do his thing on their few tracks, I felt like those were just extensions of what I already heard on the S/T. Same quick songs, terribly constructed, and the music was just as annoying. And I honestly thought that if Scott stopped being Scott and couldn't turn crap music into beauty, that Chester could find a way. NOPE. High Rise was the first STP effort I passed on buying.

As far as Art of Anarchy goes, it was great to see Scott playing with such great musicians and I started to love him again as I did with VR. My belief in Scott seemed to have gone up and down over the years. I of course thought he did great things in STP, loved 12 BB, hated Happy in Galoshes, didn't like Blaster, loved VR, and loved his work in AOA. I just really can't get away from the fact that Scott continued touring with that Blaster group due to the drug usage going on there. Even Dean said in an interview those guys, "Continued to feed him all that he was." Very sad. 

Yeah when I heard ‘High Rise’ and it was the same 3 minute pop rock stuff like S/T I was convinced it was the Deleo’s who were lacking inspiration. As I’ve said in a number of posts over the last few years I feel like they’re last inspired album was ‘Army of Anyone’, stuff like ‘A Better Place’, ‘Disappear’, ‘Used To Know Her’, that’s the standard of music I expect from those guys, some experimentation, not the generic by numbers music that filled S/T and High Rise. I feel like they really have to prove themselves on this new album, I’m hoping they’ve come up with some exciting music again in the years they’ve had off.
As for the whole Scott situation, I still remember watching the Corpus Christi show clips and thinking “He’s gonna die if he doesn’t get out of this band”, the video of him struggling to put on his own jacket was extremely troubling. People around him felt the same but no one could convince him to take some time off or get some help, it’s like he’d stopped caring and it’s incredibly sad how things went down. He was determined to stick with Tommy and the Wildabouts and it seems clear now that a lot of that was because they didn’t interfere with him indulging in reckless drinking and drug taking on the road, in fact Tommy encouraged it. I do think Scott also genuinely felt ‘Blaster’ was a strong album though and that it could compete with other modern rock albums and he wanted to promote it to the best of his ability.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2018, 05:42:16 PM »
By the way Amazon is referring to new album as Stone Temple Pilots (2018) so therefore I think it should be referred to as S/T18 its better than calling them peace and butterfly S/T & S/T18

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2018, 07:30:11 PM »
Interesting takes on this thread.  Do not listen to S/T.  Did not buy High Rise.  Both produced by Deleos.  Clear they need some governing.  Hope they find it. 

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »
Both produced by Deleos.  Clear they need some governing.  Hope they find it. 

Ditto

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
Truly baffled by some of this stuff.

Get on Down by Art of Anarchy made me think Scott had completely returned.

When I look back now I think perhaps at the time the music Art of Anarchy sent him just inspired him more.

Are we completely forgetting how aloof Scott was during this time? How little he cared about this project? He wanted NOTHING to do with this band and made it very clear he was just in it for a paycheck. If you think he was inspired by what Art of Anarchy was sending him I don't know what to tell you -

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-says-supergroup-was-scam-from-the-beginning-20150422

Scott: "Scam from the beginning"
          "I was paid to do it...I didn't even know what their names were"

As far as Art of Anarchy goes, it was great to see Scott playing with such great musicians.

Are we SERIOUSLY comparing the bassist from friggin Disturbed and two no name trust fund kids to the DeLeo's? Bumblefoot is fine I guess and a technically proficient shredder but dear lord, lets not get carried away.

I'm not trying to knock anyone's tastes but I feel like we are seriously losing perspective here. Half the group is just a couple kids with resources who gave the dude from Disturbed and Bumblefoot a bunch of money to be in a band with them. Then they found Scott who we all know had money troubles, who clearly could not care less about the whole thing but was happy to take a paycheck.

It's fine if you enjoy Art of Anarchy to S/T, but lets be real about what it was.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 03:15:31 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 05:07:42 PM »
I'm with you S/T isn't STPs best work but better that Art  of Anarchy.  Although I do like some of the tunes on the AOA album and Scott does provide some quality melodies on it.

But he did basically phone in both these albums
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

loungefly90

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 08:58:49 PM »
Truly baffled by some of this stuff.

Get on Down by Art of Anarchy made me think Scott had completely returned.

When I look back now I think perhaps at the time the music Art of Anarchy sent him just inspired him more.

Are we completely forgetting how aloof Scott was during this time? How little he cared about this project? He wanted NOTHING to do with this band and made it very clear he was just in it for a paycheck. If you think he was inspired by what Art of Anarchy was sending him I don't know what to tell you -

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-says-supergroup-was-scam-from-the-beginning-20150422

Scott: "Scam from the beginning"
          "I was paid to do it...I didn't even know what their names were"

As far as Art of Anarchy goes, it was great to see Scott playing with such great musicians.

Are we SERIOUSLY comparing the bassist from friggin Disturbed and two no name trust fund kids to the DeLeo's? Bumblefoot is fine I guess and a technically proficient shredder but dear lord, lets not get carried away.

I'm not trying to knock anyone's tastes but I feel like we are seriously losing perspective here. Half the group is just a couple kids with resources who gave the dude from Disturbed and Bumblefoot a bunch of money to be in a band with them. Then they found Scott who we all know had money troubles, who clearly could not care less about the whole thing but was happy to take a paycheck.

It's fine if you enjoy Art of Anarchy to S/T, but lets be real about what it was.

No one talked about if he cared about it or not. That wasn't the discussion. It was simply about subjective enjoyment. You are correct he admitted his heart was not in the project. However, his melodies were what got me. I hadn't heard him sing such great melodies since SLDD. Compare his work on Art of Anarchy to the S/T, which is all we were saying. Also, saying Scott was playing with "great musicians" does not imply whatsoever that the Deleos are bad in any way. I was specifically talking about Bumblefoot who is an excellent guitarist. I have no problem admitting Scott seemed to want nothing to do with the Project. However, I still prefer it to the S/T any day of the week. AOA has some decent songs and Get on Down is my personal favorite due to the melodies of the verses and chorus. That song hit me in a special way and while it didn't do the same for you, I'm allowed to enjoy it.

Are you saying his heart was truly into Blaster when it came time to tour? He played shows where he was wrecked, showed up late, cut sets short, didn't know what city he was in, and died as a result of that band not caring about him and him not caring about his own health.

I can agree that AOA was a paycheck, but as a fan of Scott's, I was simply glad to see him singing again and with a different type of music.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
Without getting into a debate on AOA as a band (I am not a fan w/ Weiland or Stapp and agree it was a paycheck to Weiland), but I will say that I did think Weiland wrote some very good melodies on AoA.  I didnt enjoy the record with Scott all that much, but Small Batch Whiskey, Get on Down, and Death of It definitely have memorable vocal melodies/hooks to me.  There are actually more songs on S/T that seem phoned in by Scott to me. 

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2018, 10:57:24 PM »
Without getting into a debate on AOA as a band (I am not a fan w/ Weiland or Stapp and agree it was a paycheck to Weiland), but I will say that I did think Weiland wrote some very good melodies on AoA.  I didnt enjoy the record with Scott all that much, but Small Batch Whiskey, Get on Down, and Death of It definitely have memorable vocal melodies/hooks to me.  There are actually more songs on S/T that seem phoned in by Scott to me. 

Dude Aqualung is my jam. Scott turns the most lame of lyrics into to magic. I don't know how he does that shit.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »

Dude Aqualung is my jam. Scott turns the most lame of lyrics into to magic. I don't know how he does that shit.

Except for that time when he used to take drugs.  Remember when he used to take drugs?  Remember when he used to take?  Remember when he used to take?

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2018, 03:28:27 AM »
Interesting takes on this thread.  Do not listen to S/T.  Did not buy High Rise.  Both produced by Deleos.  Clear they need some governing.  Hope they find it. 

I really love wlthe work they did on Talk Show, but self-titled and High Rise both suffer from bad production. Too glossy, too "sterile". Seems like their new tunes are gonna suffer from the same deficits.

Of course, maybe it's just me, but nothing recorded in the last decade sounds as good as something recorded in 1997....
Bleeda blooda