June 30, 2024, 05:12:09 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 58211 times)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 05:00:35 AM »
Let me be totally honest Black Heart is one of my least favorite on the High Rise Ep. I liked the entire ep but the sound and mix on it and Peace where jacked up. The first two tracks from Butterfly just blow either of those releases away. It took me a few listens but I agree however Roll Me Under is better than Meadow. I loved Meadow at first because it had the classic STP sound but Roll Me Under is just a preview of what STP has to offer and I think they feel they still have allot to prove and I believe they will do it and will start releasing music more quickly.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2018, 05:11:25 AM »
Agree with you on Roll me Under it took me a couple of listens but I realIy dig it now.  Dean's guitar sound is wicked,  Kretz is putting on a clinic and Jeffs chorus is strong. 

Album title is still lame though
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:13:33 AM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2018, 12:55:33 PM »
The artwork is painfully cheesy.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

For someone who seems to detest STP so much nowadays, why are you here?!  ;D

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
Albums cover looks similar to what they did with HighRise
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2018, 06:03:17 PM »

They said they recorded fourteen songs total, so with this thirteenth being a bonus track, look for the fourteenth to be on some other edition most likely.

In my opinion the 2 songs we’ve heard from the new album are already better than any of the songs from that horrible EP they released with Chester.

I think Black Heart is better than Meadow but I like Roll Me Under better than the entire EP with Chester.

I actually thought ‘Black Heart’ was the worst song on that EP, I’ve discussed it on here before but the lyrics really made me cringe, no disrespect to Chester but those lyrics on paper read like something a 14 year old kid in a metal band would write.
I haven’t listened to that EP since it was released as I thought it was awful but remember thinking ‘Tomorrow’ was the best of a bad bunch. I really dig ‘Meadow’ though and much prefer Jeff’s vocals, melodies and lyrics to Chester’s so I am looking forward to the new disc. I’m pretty sure there will at least be a few other tunes I like on there. My expectations aren’t stupidly high like they were for the first S/T either, I still remember the dissapointment on my first listen of that record :( very average, from a band who (up until that point) didn’t do average...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:05:24 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
When I even begin to think about the upcoming album, I can’t help but consider how disappointed I was with their last musical efforts. I felt the band absolutely regressed with the self-titled album as well as their work with Chester. It seems as if the band had embraced more of a classic pop-rock type of style, but in a sense that things were rushed. When I listened to the self-titled album and the work with Chester, the feeling of rushing things just did not go away and this parallels the melodies and music written. The songs are quick, lack development, and just sound as if they were thrown together. They are overly sloppy as well. It almost sounds as if the album was a joke and I can always go back to Bagman when I need a good laugh. How was this the same band that wrote Dead and Bloated?

I remember being at school and hearing some short clips of the self-titled record’s songs and it was disappointment after disappointment. Who were these guys and what came of the band who wrote songs like Wonderful, Glide, and And So I Know? This seemed like a different group and I always felt that the music and lyrics were equally terrible. I am completely for bands changing styles and progressing. However, their last efforts were regressions without a doubt. Three minute songs that were terribly put together? I had always loved Scott and STP, but when the self-titled came out, I began listening to other bands and knew in my heart it would truly be their last record with Scott. In fact, if I am being completely honest, I simply cannot find one salvageable song on that entire effort and knew upon listening to it I would hate it after the first song.

I am probably like you where almost every STP song you’ve ever heard was an immediate love. That’s how it was for me and that’s why STP became my favorite band. Their music just hit me in ways that other band’s albums did not and Scott shined on song after song. Later in their careers, I had to talk myself into liking their work and with this, they no longer became my favorite group. I did not want to hate the self-titled effort, but this was truly not the same band by a long shot.

Me personally, I am glad that STP is continuing. I am glad they are touring, are keeping the name, and have found a new singer who seems to be doing a great job. They deserve to continue their legacy. The two singles released thus far are a great musical direction for the band and I am very excited to hear more. I think Roll Me Under is a great song and is truly worth very high praise. I haven’t loved one of their songs this much since All in the Suit That You Wear was released.

I am seeing the group in Sacramento on 3/13 and although it won’t be with Scott, the last effort proved that maybe Scott lost that magic touch somewhere. While I would rather travel back to 1994, I would rather see them now rather than not at all.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2018, 06:12:51 PM »
It almost sounds as if the album was a joke and I can always go back to Bagman when I need a good laugh. How was this the same band that wrote Dead and Bloated?

Oh God.  "Bagman" is a terrible song, but "Hickory Dichotomy" is an insult to humanity.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2018, 07:58:31 PM »
I maybe didn't hate ST as much as you both, but it is certainly their weakest album by a mile. Alarm bells were already before it came out though as Dean was saying weird things like how proud he was of being able to put together an album without being in a room with Scott.

I quite like High Rise. But it was a wasted opportunity to make a jangly Pop EP with him. I think Dean sounds great on it though. Some of his parts on that are sweet.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »

STP no longer exists. I stop by every once in awhile to remind you that this is nothing but a cover band

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »
STP no longer exists. I stop by every once in awhile to remind you that this is nothing but a cover band
Blah blah blah.  Trolls are so predictable. 

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2018, 10:33:15 PM »

You have way too much time on your hands.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »
It almost sounds as if the album was a joke and I can always go back to Bagman when I need a good laugh. How was this the same band that wrote Dead and Bloated?

Oh God.  "Bagman" is a terrible song, but "Hickory Dichotomy" is an insult to humanity.

The only song I still listen to from that album is ‘First Kiss On Mars’ and occasionally ‘Take A Load Off’, they were also the only 2 that stood out to me the very first time I listened to that record. They definitely regressed with this album as you pointed out, I’m not sure if it was the time apart or a lack of ideas but that album was a huge anti climax, I was just like how can 4 talented guys with such a great track record come out with this?! ‘Contraband’ and ‘Army of Anyone’ were both albums that were far superior to S/T...

cgg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2018, 01:33:53 AM »
The only song I still listen to from that album is ‘First Kiss On Mars’ and occasionally ‘Take A Load Off’, they were also the only 2 that stood out to me the very first time I listened to that record. They definitely regressed with this album as you pointed out, I’m not sure if it was the time apart or a lack of ideas but that album was a huge anti climax, I was just like how can 4 talented guys with such a great track record come out with this?! ‘Contraband’ and ‘Army of Anyone’ were both albums that were far superior to S/T...

No love for 'Maver'?  I think the album definitely has a few stinkers, but I've always loved that song.  A shame it was never played live
STP 2008 - Las Vegas 6/14  Baltimore 8/10

STP 2011 - Belleville 7/22

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2018, 02:55:49 AM »

No love for 'Maver'?  I think the album definitely has a few stinkers, but I've always loved that song.  A shame it was never played live

Unfortunately not. The thing with ‘Maver’ is it’s probably one of the most interesting songs on the album musically but Scott was in story telling mode on a lot of songs lyrically on S/T and I just didn’t enjoy the whole ‘betting on the ponies’ thing. If he’d have wrote from a more personal perspective, like he usually did, to that music I think it could’ve been great. He got back to that a bit on the slower songs on Art of Anarchy and Blaster though. Songs like ‘Death of It’ and ‘Circles’ were quite touching.