September 29, 2024, 03:28:12 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63105 times)

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2018, 03:49:24 AM »
I thought Art of Anarchy was the worst project Scott was ever involved in. Scott's melodies and singing were the best thing about the debut, but the great  or even good songs just weren't there.
I'd agree. In my opinion, that's the worst project he was ever a part of. It's not entirely on him, as the music just isn't anything special. However, I personally found his vocals to be quite weak too. The whole thing seemed very subpar and I had no interest in ever going back to the record after the fact. I'd take his work with the wildabouts over art of anarchy any day of the week.
I hate to be that guy but can someone explain to me how the music on ‘Roll Me Under’ or Self Titled 2010/High Rise is ‘anything interesting’? Sure, Art of Anarchy had its share of generic metal tracks and they were my least favourite songs on that album but I found the music on ‘Get On Down’, ‘Long Ago’ with its guitar synth and ‘Death of It’ actually more interesting than much of the Deleo’s generic work post 2006. Don’t get me wrong, I love everything they did up to and including ‘Army of Anyone’ and OF COURSE I rate it higher than Art of Anarchy (before anyone asks) but the fact is they’ve written nothing of much interest musically since then, as I’ve said before I hope they seriously step things up on this new album but ‘Roll Me Under’ doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Oh if you haven't read my other comments (either here or elsewhere on the board), I've addressed what I think about the new song already. I don't find Roll Me Under especially interesting either, although I will say it's ahead of anything off of the art of anarchy record in my opinion. As for Self Titled, it's at least catchy at times, which I personally can't say about any art of anarchy song. Same with High Rise, the two singles I do know off of that EP are at the very least, enjoyable to listen to. I'm not thrilled with S/T or High Rise (what I know of it) as STP releases but they're at least OKAY. Which I absolutely can't say about Art Of Anarchy. Of course, this is all my very singular opinion. I'm optimistic there will be songs I enjoy on this upcoming record. Likely songs that won't get released as singles.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:51:46 AM by Down-Plush »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2018, 04:00:30 AM »
I thought Art of Anarchy was the worst project Scott was ever involved in. Scott's melodies and singing were the best thing about the debut, but the great  or even good songs just weren't there.
I'd agree. In my opinion, that's the worst project he was ever a part of. It's not entirely on him, as the music just isn't anything special. However, I personally found his vocals to be quite weak too. The whole thing seemed very subpar and I had no interest in ever going back to the record after the fact. I'd take his work with the wildabouts over art of anarchy any day of the week.
I hate to be that guy but can someone explain to me how the music on ‘Roll Me Under’ or Self Titled 2010/High Rise is ‘anything interesting’? Sure, Art of Anarchy had its share of generic metal tracks and they were my least favourite songs on that album but I found the music on ‘Get On Down’, ‘Long Ago’ with its guitar synth and ‘Death of It’ actually more interesting than much of the Deleo’s generic work post 2006. Don’t get me wrong, I love everything they did up to and including ‘Army of Anyone’ and OF COURSE I rate it higher than Art of Anarchy (before anyone asks) but the fact is they’ve written nothing of much interest musically since then, as I’ve said before I hope they seriously step things up on this new album but ‘Roll Me Under’ doesn’t fill me with confidence.
Oh if you haven't read my other comments (either here or elsewhere on the board), I've addressed what I think about the new song already. I don't find Roll Me Under especially interesting either, although I will say it's ahead of anything off of the art of anarchy record in my opinion. As for Self Titled, it's at least catchy at times, which I personally can't say about any art of anarchy song. Same with High Rise, the two singles I do know off of that EP are at the very least, enjoyable to listen to. I'm not thrilled with S/T or High Rise (what I know of it) as STP releases but they're at least OKAY. Which I absolutely can't say about Art Of Anarchy. Of course, this is all my very singular opinion. I'm optimistic there will be songs I enjoy on this upcoming record. Likely songs that won't get released as singles.
Sorry, I wasn’t aware of that, my bad :) I’ve just seen so much praise for ‘Roll Me Under’ around these parts that I’m starting to think I’ve heard a different song! As you say though everyone’s opinion is going to be different and I guess that’s what these boards are for really, for us all to discuss are differing opinions on music just as much as our shared love for it. I genuinely want to hear something musically from the Deleo’s that moves me again, I really do because as I say from 92-2006 they really were innovators (especially from ‘Purple’ onwards) and created some of the most beautiful music I’ve heard, I just don’t know what happened after that...
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2018, 06:20:56 AM »
IMHO, All in the Suit That You Wear was the last track sounded like STP.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2018, 09:42:37 AM »
Roll Me Under is just a rocking good riff. I don't expect every STP track to be nuanced work of art, it's just a really fun rocker. I do hope there's some more substance on the album, but I'm not jumping to any conclusions based on the two tracks we have heard.

For me the worst Scott project was Happy in Galoshes by a mile. That album is just booooring. A mish mash of non committal, wishy washy crap with a few terrible covers thrown in. Compared to 12BB, it is an absolute dog. But I think a lot of that came down to the difference between working with people like Daniel Lanois, Victor Indrizzo and Martyn LeNoble, as opposed to working with the likes of Doug Grean. The 1 disc is a little mroe bearable than the deluxe edition, but still only has a handful of interesting tracks on it.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »
I agree. The two new songs and High Rise at least sounded cohesive  and catchy. I would take either over Art of Anarchy.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »
For me the worst Scott project was Happy in Galoshes by a mile.

The Christmas album would like a word.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »
Oh Christ yes. I think I got PTSD after hearing that and the covers album, and blotted them out from my psyche.

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2018, 04:13:11 PM »
For me the worst Scott project was Happy in Galoshes by a mile.

The Christmas album would like a word.
I like how you worded that.
I personally enjoy a lot of Happy in Galoshes and view it as the last album he released that I would be willing to put in the same era/category of "pre final downward spiral" quality Scott, if that makes sense?  I know a lot of people rag on Doug Grean, but the final 2 minutes of Pictures and Computers to me is the best part of that entire album, and probably my favorite "musical part" of any SW non STP release.  Doug also did some good work on a lot of the other songs too(She Sold Her System and Killing Me Sweetly for example), it was the live playing style where I think the issues were mostly, for me personally anyway.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2018, 04:41:11 PM »
Same here, there's alot of good stuff on Happy, Missing, Paralysis, Crash, Tangle etc .. the double albums is a bit much though. Fame is a bad song already and Scotts cover made it worse, but Reel Around the Fountain made up for it, great cover IMO.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2018, 05:36:05 PM »
Same here, there's alot of good stuff on Happy, Missing, Paralysis, Crash, Tangle etc .. the double albums is a bit much though. Fame is a bad song already and Scotts cover made it worse, but Reel Around the Fountain made up for it, great cover IMO.

The addition of the actual song ‘Happy’ that leaked a few years ago would’ve helped that album, also ‘I Know It’s Too Late’ I feel should’ve been on the regular album. It’s not one of my favourite Scott projects, the double disc certainly has some filler but there are a few tracks on there I really enjoy.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2018, 07:19:41 PM »
Agreed, and I've assumed that was the general consensus among all Weiland/STP fans since the album came out. I'm surprised to see so much hate for the "Peace" album in this thread - I haven't been very active on Below Empty for the last several years but 2010 was a great time to be here and a lot of us were really excited about that album. Sure, in retrospect it doesn't hold up to the classic 5 albums but I still think it's a solid effort overall given the circumstances surrounding it. Hard to believe that was 8 years ago...

Anyway, back to the 2018 self titled album (really against another self titled album title), Meadow and Roll Me Under are solid songs and when it comes to this iteration of STP with Jeff Gutt, I'm not expecting much and basically will take what I can get and just be happy that the DeLeos and Kretz are still together making music. I'm sure the album will be fine and not anything that's going to be a complete embarrassment to the legacy of STP. I'd rather have that than nothing at all from "STP"
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2018, 08:42:57 PM »
I think dissing any of Scott's work is unfair as it's something he wholefully in whatever state would have wanted to pull off perfectly. Coming to the present album, STP has decided what they want to do, it's up to us to see it through in new light. If you don't like it, that's fine. If you do, even better. You can call it whatever you want, the music is true to the best of their element, at their present time, situation and a learning for them. Encourage them to just get better. Scott's Scott, Gutt's unrealised still, let's understand him, Rob delivers his best, Eric must be pushed to his best and Dean... Give us a fuckin' longer solo! :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:55:01 PM by disasterami »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »
For me the worst Scott project was Happy in Galoshes by a mile. That album is just booooring. A mish mash of non committal, wishy washy crap with a few terrible covers thrown in. Compared to 12BB, it is an absolute dog. But I think a lot of that came down to the difference between working with people like Daniel Lanois, Victor Indrizzo and Martyn LeNoble, as opposed to working with the likes of Doug Grean. The 1 disc is a little mroe bearable than the deluxe edition, but still only has a handful of interesting tracks on it.

Man, I love HIG. It's maybe not on the same level of 12BB but there are a lot of interesting songs on there. Agreed on some of the covers (looking at you, Fame) and it's a bit long but some of my favorite Scott work is on there (Paralysis, The Man I Didn't Know, Sometimes Chicken Soup). It also felt like a true passion project for him, everything from the music to the videos, the Paralysis vid is a true work of art. Love the overall mood of it too, which the title captures perfectly.

I think if he had made it a 12 track single album, trimmed some of the fat and knocked off the covers it would have been better received. Unfortunately only Disc 1 is on Spotify, leaving off some of my favorites.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
‘The art of letting go’ is showing a track time of 4:35 on iTunes so I assume this will be next track released.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »

Man, I love HIG. It's maybe not on the same level of 12BB but there are a lot of interesting songs on there. Agreed on some of the covers (looking at you, Fame) and it's a bit long but some of my favorite Scott work is on there (Paralysis, The Man I Didn't Know, Sometimes Chicken Soup). It also felt like a true passion project for him, everything from the music to the videos, the Paralysis vid is a true work of art. Love the overall mood of it too, which the title captures perfectly.

I think if he had made it a 12 track single album, trimmed some of the fat and knocked off the covers it would have been better received. Unfortunately only Disc 1 is on Spotify, leaving off some of my favorites.

I began to have issues with what Scott and the Deleos were doing sometime after SLDD. The music from both ends just began to feel very different, and while I understand the group and Scott were changing, I thought 12BB was a superior musical effort when compared to HIG. With 12BB, I would say MOST of the songs are fantastic: Divider, Son, Where's The Man? The Date, and Barbarella are among my favorites. However, with HIG, I had the same issue I had with the S/T: I found myself in a position where I was talking myself into liking it simply because it had Scott's name on it. As others have said, there are SOME good songs there, but that remains my issue exactly. We get two discs and with them comes a few good tracks? I had the opposite problem with 12BB.

Growing up listening to STP, I immediately loved everything they wrote upon first listen and there was no debate about it. Today, whether it's Blaster, the S/T, or even the new songs, I have to listen to them over and over again just to sort of like them. To me, that's an issue.