September 29, 2024, 11:18:31 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63168 times)

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #270 on: March 15, 2018, 09:39:47 PM »
First initial impression:

Pros: 
-Better than S/T(2010) and High Rise
-Good overall rock record

Cons:
-Whole record has the same vibe and tempo, not much diversity in style like previous records (not to be confused with having harder vs softer songs)

-Not really many memorable riffs or melodies which means only a couple songs actually stand out from the pack and the rest seem like filler.  If I listen a few more times it will probably just be familiarity by association (music stockholm syndrome) rather than the sounds actually standing on its own merit.

-Guitar work seems to be too busy on many songs

Overall I think its a decent rock record, but its missing some magic.  Very middle of the road.  Hopefully the band experiments more in the future.  I doubt I'll be listening to it much after this.  Even though I'm not really thrilled with the record I do hope they play more of these songs live so they can start anew.
i felt the exact same. Thought ud be mine though is a really nice song. Brett was right it could be a gem for the band. God knows i want all the success in the world for STP. Im thinking i like the record better than SLDD also. Hollywood Bitch was the only real standout track and it never took off imo.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 15, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »
is anyone else not crazy about the first track? I feel like they could have picked so many others as a stronger opener.

I don’t like ‘Middle of Nowhere’ very much either, I’ve listened to it 3 times and to be honest the song just gets on my nerves. I think it’s the schizophrenic nature of the song and the stop start rhythm on the chorus that I don’t enjoy. “There’s a right way and theres a wrong way and then there’s my way” are actually quite cool lyrics but I don’t like the way it’s executed at all and think it’s a weak chorus. Probably my least fav song on the record and I think any of the other ‘rockers’ would’ve made a better opener. It’s like the unwanted bastard love child of ‘Sucker Train Blues’.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:24:56 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2018, 10:38:59 PM »
Album overall is strong will bring in allot of new fans and satisfy a good portion of the dIehards. But like I've said a few times this is a starting point I look forward to the next release more once the guys know one another better. Jeff will learn how the band wants the tracks to sound and maybe they will bring in a big producer If this album does well enough. I think they should tour through the summer and get back in the studio by November and try to put another album out next year like they did with Tiny Music and Talk Show

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:22 PM »
Someone on this site has mentioned in other threads that they don’t expect anything STP does in the future to hit them the way their songs once did when they were first discovering music as a teenager. To me, this is probably the purest statement out there regarding new music and STP in general. It’s an unfortunate statement, but a true one. It’s sad to me that no matter what STP does at this point, I will probably not love the material as much as Core or SLDD and a lot of that has to do with me being an adult and being in a different mindset. The discovery aspect, seeing and hearing them for the first time, is very past tense at this point.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »
is anyone else not crazy about the first track? I feel like they could have picked so many others as a stronger opener.

I don’t like ‘Middle of Nowhere’ very much either, I’ve listened to it 3 times and to be honest the song just gets on my nerves. I think it’s the schizophrenic nature of the song and the stop start rhythm on the chorus that I don’t enjoy. “There’s a right way and theres a wrong way and then there’s my way” are actually quite cool lyrics but I don’t like the way it’s executed at all and think it’s a weak chorus. Probably my least fav song on the record and I think any of the other ‘rockers’ would’ve made a better opener. It’s like the unwanted bastard love child of ‘Sucker Train Blues’.

I like Middle Of Nowhere. Of this set, I feel like this is the best opener.  I'm also liking Never Enough a little more than I did yesterday. I find myself skipping over Meadow and Roll Me Under,  just because I've kind of over-played those ones for a couple weeks.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

TheOnlyRuss

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:49 PM »
Just some thoughts typed out during first listen.

Middle of Nowhere--6/10--I like the pace, it feels like STP. Head was bopping.  Felt a little too loose? if that makes sense

Guilty--7/10--Love the bass line, Jeff showing off more, love the '70s guitar feel.  I feel like this is better song that MoN

Meadow--8/10--Still a great song, was right choice for first single.  Fits into the first 2 songs as well.  Seems like the most complete song so far

Just a Little Lie--6/10--I felt like this song was missing a part that would bring it together, first song that feels like filler.  Not a bad song, in the same vein of liking as Church on Tuesday, Long way home. Good but not standout.

Six Eight--9/10--Now this feels like a great song.  I feel like this would be a good road song. I feel like Jeff hitting stride with this song.

Thought She'd Be Mine--10/10--Clearly this has to be a single, what a great feel to this song.  Clean, so far the best melodies. 

Roll Me Under--9/10--I may be in minority here but I love this song, I feel like it hits you so in the face after TSBM.  I do believe this was the AoA song, just by the drum shoes filled by Kretz

Never Enough--7/10--This one took time to get me going, but it has grown on me.  I still think it feels like it doesn't blend well

The Art of Letting Go--9/10--I still love the groove of this song, it gets me in my feels.  A touch long.

Finest hour--9/10--God damnit, ok this song got me in the feels.  Having lost a lot of friends young, this is inspiring song

Good Shoes--6/10--The chorus and bridge save this song.  It felt a little boring but it picks up. Good song not great

Red and Blues--8/10--Another one with a good vibe.  Laid back good background music.

Overall it ranks above ST 2010 and High Rise.  I felt like it lacked one more straight ahead rocker.  It wasn't everything I wanted out of it. And I feel like it will be a mixed bag from everyone here, only because STP is so diverse I don't think they could have done something everyone loved 100%.  But I feel Jeff is better fit than Chester.  I don't think it hurts the legacy of the band, though I do feel like it could have been more.  But really without Weiland it's hard to get back to those glory years, his melodies and lyrics can't be matched with anyone. But I do feel like is more STP than High Rise

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 16, 2018, 12:56:10 AM »
The album is undoubtedly stronger than ‘High Rise’ but at this point I’d put it on par with S/T 2010... I never thought the first S/T with Scott was terrible though, just average from a band who, for me, hadn’t done average before and it was kinda disappointing for that reason, maybe I just built it up too much.. I’d give both S/T albums a 3/5, some good stuff, some bland stuff and a few really amazing moments that harken back to the ‘good ‘ol days’. The new album might grow on me a bit though and I might end up increasing that score.

Just for reference the first 5 STP albums AND the Army of Anyone album are all 4.5 - 5’s out of 5 for me... Some of this obviously will have to do with me being older now, as others have said music won’t impact us like it did in our teens and early 20’s I guess. The Army Of Anyone album was probably always going to be a good one for me since I am a huge fan of both Filter and STP and I felt there was some real standout stuff, both musically and lyrically, on that record and they meshed together really well as a group. That’s not to say Jeff doesn’t mesh with these guys because he totally does and his vocals on the album are superb, but his lyrics are a little hit and miss to me. I fell in love with Scott’s trippy out there stuff and his use of metaphors (I Got You being a perfect example) while I find Jeff’s lyrics to be a bit more literal and straightforward I guess. I’ll still be playing this new album all year and there’s some good stuff on it but I’m just not blown away but maybe those days, for me at least, are sadly in the past.

*Edit* Just wanted to say that ‘The Art of Letting Go’ is my favourite song on the album. It’s a real standout, THIS is the side of STP I love the most and it struck me the very first time I heard it. Amazing music, vocals and melodies. I like where Jeff went lyrically too. It’s the first song I’d play for someone who wanted a taste of the new album and then from the rockers I’d play them ‘Meadow’.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:09:36 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 16, 2018, 01:25:50 AM »
Well, even just listening to the Octano stream, this is clearly a very superior rock album. The subtleties are there, Brendan is not missed nearly as much as I had feared.

Middle of Nowhere - real twisted Aerosmith vibe. Shades of "Young Lust" to my ears. Love the commitment, a clear statement of intent .

Guilty  - wasn't sold on this at first but those cool chords in the bridge really got me. Eric shines as he does throughout.

Meadow - all about Jeff. He does a mean Liam Gallagher, without the idiocy thankfully .

Just A Little Lie - wow, was not expecting this. How about No Way Out, extended jam straight into this one. Probably my favourite .

Six Eight - love it. The record is light on riffs, that's my only real issue. But SLDD was the same, the evolution is evident if you go straight from there to here.

Thought She'd Be Mine  - I wouldn't call it a classic but it's very very good.

Roll Me Under -- a band track, serves its purpose.

Never Enough - liked it from the start and It's a grower too. Track placement is a big strength of this album, again they learned well from Brendan.

Art of Letting Go - 2nd favourite. The jazz moths are back, that's all we need .

Finest Hour  - huge Army of Anyone vibe. I was hoping this album would live up to that standard but it's way better.

Good Shoes  - still not sure why I like this song so much but I do. File under MC5, Art School Girlfriend etc. Just a thing.

Reds & Blues  - as expected, an upgrade on This Wasn't Supposed To Happen. And, surely, none of it was.

I did not expect such a well-rounded, committed and creative album. It's quite the revelation imho. And the potential is boundless, new possibilities pour out of many of the tracks. Which is how it was on TM, No4 and SLDD. I had thought it lost but it was just waiting to be found. Wow.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:29:39 AM by Stop That Pigeon »

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 16, 2018, 02:11:35 AM »
And who would have thought that Dean Deleo, at 56, would be pushing himself into new ground. Rock musicians don't do that, jazz players do. Dude feels the source of music.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 16, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »
I must have listened to this album 12 times straight through at this point. Funny, because I just received my Amazon email that says the disc will be here tomorrow before 8pm.

I don't know if "STP is Back" or not...

All I can say is I'm really enjoying it all the way through. I have hopes that millions more will enjoy it as much.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

The_Bagman

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2018, 04:02:12 AM »
Anyone heard the Best Buy Tracks as of yet?

Initial thoughts of the album is that I like it, Would have liked some more heavy rock guitars.

The album to me has elements of Tiny Music/Talkshow, SLDD and S/T (2010).

I liked S/T (2010) so I would put it in line with that album.

I dont think we will get anything better than the 92 -01 period of music ( those 5 albums are untouchable to me)

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2018, 04:23:43 AM »
Listening to this album exactly reminds me of when I listened to the 1st S/T. :)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2018, 06:03:55 AM »
Sigh. What's the point of an iTunes preorder if, upon the album's release, it is available for purchase, but your preorder isn't available for download. Ridiculous.

Immunize

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
The mix is too muddy on a lot of the rockier ones.
Drums sound too compressed.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »
Sigh. What's the point of an iTunes preorder if, upon the album's release, it is available for purchase, but your preorder isn't available for download. Ridiculous.

That’s weird.  It downloaded automatically on my device last night at 11 PM (EST)
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!