September 29, 2024, 11:30:54 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63171 times)

Roe

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2018, 12:53:08 AM »
I still haven’t pre ordered the album because I want the Best Buy deluxe version, but I’m in the UK :(
It sucks that they release a deluxe version of the album but only in one part of the world, well it wouldn’t suck that bad if we could actually import it but Best Buy don’t ship outside the USA... Can anyone help a brother out? I NEED this album in its complete physical form!

I was hoping for a hi-res FLAC and/or the vinyl but those bonus tracks are on my want list. My brother works at a Best Buy so I'll see if they have it and he can grab one if nobody else has offered to give you a hand yet.

Edited to note: Wow, I just realized how little I actually post on here considering I check the site regularly

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2018, 03:30:51 PM »
I still haven’t pre ordered the album because I want the Best Buy deluxe version, but I’m in the UK :(
It sucks that they release a deluxe version of the album but only in one part of the world, well it wouldn’t suck that bad if we could actually import it but Best Buy don’t ship outside the USA... Can anyone help a brother out? I NEED this album in its complete physical form!

I was hoping for a hi-res FLAC and/or the vinyl but those bonus tracks are on my want list. My brother works at a Best Buy so I'll see if they have it and he can grab one if nobody else has offered to give you a hand yet.

Edited to note: Wow, I just realized how little I actually post on here considering I check the site regularly

Thanks man, I appreciate it! I was going to pre order the standard edition but I don’t really want to buy the album twice! Would rather just grab the bonus tracks version, I’m pretty sure it’s limited edition too which makes me want it even more.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Lolzeyes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
After spinning the album for a couple of hours.. Middle o' Noer, Meadow, Just a Little Lie, Thought She'd Be Mine, The Art Of Letting Go really stand out for me. Overall the album has a nice flow. I think Gutt was the right choice. It suits this refreshing direction they were aiming for. The only down thing is there isn't a crushing hit on the album. Too early to tell where it stands in the STP album ranking but it's a good release (imo).

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
Well ill always be waiting for Core 2.0 and Jeff can def nail the vocals if DelEos ever bring the music to him. That being said after listening to the samples i def think the album is better than S/T 2010 and the 2013 EP. im excited to hear the full album full blast in my truck tonight or tommorow. I almost want yo take a day off work to celebrate their comeback

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 15, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
The opening cords of "Reds & Blues" reminds me of "Tomorrow" off of High Rise.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 15, 2018, 05:06:19 PM »
So I decided after Never Enough was released that I wouldn't listen to any samples until the cd comes out. I feel like this may be one of the last times I will be super excited for a cd release. Im hoping through some miracle my best buy edition makes it to me tonight (I'm in Illinois, the cd is in Kentucky). If not, tomorrow after work I am going to sit in my car and give it a solid listen. Then for listen number two...gonna drive around...maybe pick up some crappy grub, and listen some more.

I regret reading this thread though, cause its starting to give me an idea of how the songs sound. I do realize however that we all have different taste though. For one, I really like Roll Me Under....I don't find it to be generic at all, rather, simple. You want to hear generic, go listen to typical hard rock radio station..every other song is generic. Roll Me Under has a great groove to it...def translates live.

So I'm hoping I find something that catches me on this album just like it sounds like most of you are too. It looks though I wont be expecting in the heaviness of a Down, Dumb Love, or Coma :/ I feel that is where STP shines the most.

Still can't wait though.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 15, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »
Well ill always be waiting for Core 2.0 and Jeff can def nail the vocals if DelEos ever bring the music to him. That being said after listening to the samples i def think the album is better than S/T 2010 and the 2013 EP. im excited to hear the full album full blast in my truck tonight or tommorow. I almost want yo take a day off work to celebrate their comeback

Me too man. My biggest wish in music was that after No.4, Scott and co said to themselves...lets go write the heaviest, grooviest album yet...there would have been no competition...the scene would have been theres.

I remember when SLDD was being created and the double album talk took place...there was talk one album would be heavy and the other soft. Was so bummed that didnt happen.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 15, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »
I didn't listen to Never Enough, and I am really excited for tomorrow!

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 15, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »
In case you don't want to download a torrent here is the full album stream

http://blog.octanoband.com/new-album-stone-temple-pilots/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 06:10:10 PM by leocal79 »

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 15, 2018, 07:48:30 PM »
is anyone else not crazy about the first track? I feel like they could have picked so many others as a stronger opener.

Immunize

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 15, 2018, 07:50:31 PM »
Just arrived in the post :)

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 15, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
On the second song, I'm going to need more cowbell.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 15, 2018, 08:27:03 PM »
I like the fiRst track but Good Shoes may have been a better opener

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 15, 2018, 08:53:08 PM »
"Middle of Nowhere" – Not a big fan of this one. I’m not sure I can describe what I’m hearing exactly, but it has this sort of James Bond/Austin Powers thing going on. I don’t take the guitar part seriously at all. It seems to be mocking something. Again, hard to explain.

"Guilty" - Getting better. Nothing jumps out, but a good track.

"Meadow" – Listening to this song does not do it justice. Hearing this song live was an excellent piece of music.

"Just a Little Lie" – Great song. I’m really liking this one.

"Six Eight" – My favorite so far and I wish it was longer. Musically, this one really stands out.

“Thought She'd Be Mine” – Yes! Awesome song! Love this one and the ending is terrific!

"Roll Me Under"   - Another one that is much better live.

“Never Enough" – Not a fan of this one. Reminds me too much of the S/T 2010, which I didn’t care for. Maybe better live? To me, this is the weakest of the four singles.

"The Art of Letting Go" – Easily my favorite of the four singles that were released. “Of all the places I have gone…” This really makes me think of Scott. I almost feel like whatever Scott would’ve done with this song, it wouldn’t have really been too different than what Jeff came up with. The solo reminds of something from Tiny Music. And So I Know anyone?

"Finest Hour" – Great music here and Jeff did a great job. I love the verse on this song.

"Good Shoes" – Considering the title, I had low expectations for this song. It’s isn’t terrible, but not too memorable either. Sort of just a filler in my book. I’m hearing many Scott-like verses and this is for sure one of them. I think the bridge is the strongest part of the song.

"Reds & Blues" I think what makes this song so great is that the guitar is not overpowering at all. The music gives plenty of room for Jeff to shine. Very beautiful song and a great closer.

Hearing these tracks makes me excited for the Best Buy deluxe version. I found myself tapping my foot through most of the album and find it to be very melodic and slow at times, which I love. While I wasn’t completely captured by any particular song on this album, it’s a great effort in my book and am very glad the boys are making new music. It certainly is no Core or SLDD, but is a great album nonetheless.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 15, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »
First initial impression:

Pros: 
-Better than S/T(2010) and High Rise
-Good overall rock record

Cons:
-Whole record has the same vibe and tempo, not much diversity in style like previous records (not to be confused with having harder vs softer songs)

-Not really many memorable riffs or melodies which means only a couple songs actually stand out from the pack and the rest seem like filler.  If I listen a few more times it will probably just be familiarity by association (music stockholm syndrome) rather than the sounds actually standing on its own merit.

-Guitar work seems to be too busy on many songs

Overall I think its a decent rock record, but its missing some magic.  Very middle of the road.  Hopefully the band experiments more in the future.  I doubt I'll be listening to it much after this.  Even though I'm not really thrilled with the record I do hope they play more of these songs live so they can start anew.