September 29, 2024, 03:22:04 AM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63103 times)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:20 AM »
I agree the weakest of the three however STP needs this kind of stuff to make the album flow this could have been part of Tiny Music more than SLDD.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2018, 05:44:05 AM »
So...we know that Dean and Robert are true songwriters and musicians. Being a fan of the band, I think most would agree that the Deleos are always writing...and it seems like, especially with STP, there is stuff that is saved or gets heard years after being born. Giving pieces of evidence such as Dean jamming to hollywood bitch on SNL soundcheck in Core era to common knowledge of SLDD almost being a double album to Robert describing Roll Me Under as "being in his head for years"......with all of this....am I crazy to wonder if most of this album was already recorded in some form with Scott's melodies over it...then the material was presented to Jeff and re-recorded with his touch and lyrics?

Don't get me wrong, I am as happy as anybody that the boys are getting a chance to write more music, and that we get to hear it.....but so far, we are 3 for 3 on songs that have Weiland written all over them. And I am not saying it would be a bad thing, but I am curious.

Either that, or Jeff is trying his best to sing how Scott would....and I'm not talking about the sound of his voice but rather the style and delivery.

Am I losing it, people?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:45:48 AM by Plushman »

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2018, 06:34:59 AM »
So...we know that Dean and Robert are true songwriters and musicians. Being a fan of the band, I think most would agree that the Deleos are always writing...and it seems like, especially with STP, there is stuff that is saved or gets heard years after being born. Giving pieces of evidence such as Dean jamming to hollywood bitch on SNL soundcheck in Core era to common knowledge of SLDD almost being a double album to Robert describing Roll Me Under as "being in his head for years"......with all of this....am I crazy to wonder if most of this album was already recorded in some form with Scott's melodies over it...then the material was presented to Jeff and re-recorded with his touch and lyrics?

Don't get me wrong, I am as happy as anybody that the boys are getting a chance to write more music, and that we get to hear it.....but so far, we are 3 for 3 on songs that have Weiland written all over them. And I am not saying it would be a bad thing, but I am curious.

Either that, or Jeff is trying his best to sing how Scott would....and I'm not talking about the sound of his voice but rather the style and delivery.

Am I losing it, people?

Youre not losing it at all. I think these are very valid ideas. In short, i think you are right that the guys are always writing. Also i think we could just now be hearing some of that second SLDD disc and maybe some cuts that were planned for a full album with Chester. Also im sure the guys went into the studio many times or prepared to and not much happened. The band is in a different and better place now and i think we are finally hearing some of that unreleased material.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »

Am I losing it, people?

Youre not losing it at all. I think these are very valid ideas. In short, i think you are right that the guys are always writing. Also i think we could just now be hearing some of that second SLDD disc and maybe some cuts that were planned for a full album with Chester. Also im sure the guys went into the studio many times or prepared to and not much happened. The band is in a different and better place now and i think we are finally hearing some of that unreleased material.

But would you go as far as to think that some of that material may have had vocal melodies down as well?

Sharing and hearing feedback from people on Meadow, Roll Me Under, and The Art, not in a negative way, but many people think its almost Scott's ghost singing...and imo, no disrespect to Jeff, but I can't see someone hitting the nail on the head in filling Scott's shoes so well...unless maybe the rest of the album doesn't have the Scott vibe the same way the first three tunes we've heard, or maybe Jeff was given a vocal template?

In the end, were getting a new record in less than 4 weeks. So pumped!

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2018, 07:35:36 AM »
I think only Meadow is a real single and these are previews of greater stuff yet to come. Jeff said he learned allot from Scott as a singer. Plus the rest of the band has always had a hand in writing songs unlike some other bands. I'm not sure if these were unreleased ideas but they have always held that stuff close to the vest. However if they had left over tracks this good would they have not used them on ST10. What really makes these songs great is the sound is back to were it was before ST10. Jeff is not Scott but Jeff with the rest of STP so far is fantastic.

thecrowtv

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2018, 07:44:42 AM »
I think only Meadow is a real single and these are previews of greater stuff yet to come. Jeff said he learned allot from Scott as a singer. Plus the rest of the band has always had a hand in writing songs unlike some other bands. I'm not sure if these were unreleased ideas but they have always held that stuff close to the vest. However if they had left over tracks this good would they have not used them on ST10. What really makes these songs great is the sound is back to were it was before ST10. Jeff is not Scott but Jeff with the rest of STP so far is fantastic.

I wonder how much of an influence Jeff had on this song?  This sounds like a song that I can hear Scott singing and honestly that's not a bad thing.  The more I hear of the new CD the more I feel that Jeff is the right guy. 

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »

I wonder how much of an influence Jeff had on this song?  This sounds like a song that I can hear Scott singing and honestly that's not a bad thing.  The more I hear of the new CD the more I feel that Jeff is the right guy.

Maybe he didn't have any influence in the song but I agree he is definitely the right guy without a doubt. I am really excited for the New Album and New Chapter of STP after this song came out. I didn;t think I would have this on repeat but I have already listened to this song about six times. STP is still a creative force and by no means should they entertain listening to any of the nay sayers. This is pure gold. But I feel the rest of the album could be even more adventurous than I first thought it would be. This is the most excited i've been for STP since SLDD.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »

[/quote]

But would you go as far as to think that some of that material may have had vocal melodies down as well?

Sharing and hearing feedback from people on Meadow, Roll Me Under, and The Art, not in a negative way, but many people think its almost Scott's ghost singing...and imo, no disrespect to Jeff, but I can't see someone hitting the nail on the head in filling Scott's shoes so well...unless maybe the rest of the album doesn't have the Scott vibe the same way the first three tunes we've heard, or maybe Jeff was given a vocal template?

In the end, were getting a new record in less than 4 weeks. So pumped!
[/quote]

I seriously doubt the guys are in possession of a bunch of demos/outtakes with Scott's actual recorded vocals on.
Now, if the Deleos have a bunch of olds songs written with Scott in mind, is a whole other thing.
I had the midwife naked and alone

pakurt

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:26 AM »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
Really heartening to see the new material get such a warm response.

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2018, 10:36:15 AM »
I thought this might be the best of the three singles. Jury is still out.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »
I thought this might be the best of the three singles. Jury is still out.
Definitely is in my opinion. Took me by surprise for sure.

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2018, 12:24:38 PM »
Oh man, that solo is beautiful! Finally a longish solo from him. Count me in as one of the people who thinks The Art is an SLDD era song. The solo is very different from what he did on the Peace album and on High Rise. Took me back to SLDD for sure. Some parts Tiny Music too :)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2018, 03:52:06 PM »
This tune reminds me of those two Galaxy All-Star songs that made the rounds some time ago. I really dug those. I hope this album does well for them.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
Wow! That new tune is great! This is the most STP sounding song they've put out in years. It has a similar vibe to Maver and definitely could have fit well on the second half of SLDD or No. 4. I wouldn't say it's a single by any means but a fantastic album track. Listening to it I almost felt like I was in 2000/2001 all over again. Jeff actually sounds like Scott in some parts and Chester in others. He did a nice job. I'm really looking forward to this record coming out.