September 26, 2024, 11:08:46 PM

Author Topic: Best Albums Of 2017  (Read 2203 times)

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Best Albums Of 2017
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
2017 was a pretty good year for new releases in my opinion. Here are my top 10 -

1. Beck - Colors
2. The Church - Man Woman Life Death Infinity
3. Ride - Weather Diaries
4. The Charlatans - Different Days
5. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Who Built The Moon?
6. Liam Gallagher - As You Were
7. Royal Blood - How Did We Get So Dark?
8. U2 - Songs Of Experience
9. Kilbey Kennedy - Glow And Fade
10. alt-J - Relaxer
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Best Albums Of 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 04:11:22 AM »
311 Mosaic should be on the list.  Does Core Super Deluxe reissue count. 

https://youtu.be/t-8hSpJOAyo

https://youtu.be/Zvp2g9YHCuY
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:13:28 AM by rocker rockstar »

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 03:56:33 PM »
Seeing this thread reminds me how little I listen to full albums anymore.  But the ones ive spun you guys have mentioned. 

Liam Gallaghers surprised me, as did 311 which I wasn't expecting much from and both turned out to be strong records. My fav has to be the Royal Blood effort.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:06:02 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
Crystal Fairy. Supergroup of The Melvins, le butcherettes, mars Volta.  Full album on youtube . HIGHLY RECOMMEND

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
Nothing really WOWed me last year. Now granted, I enjoyed several albums last year, but I had no definitive top album. If I had to do a top five, I'd go with Queens of the Stone Age, Beck, Fleet Foxes, Royal Blood, and maybe Rise Against.

I just listened to the new Killers album and the new Weezer album, which I enjoyed much more than I anticipated due to the lukewarm reviews.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »
I liked the new Killers album the best in 2017.  My second favourite was Matthew Good's "Something Like A Storm".  I also want to throw out an honourable mention to The Used for their double-album "The Canyon" which was shockingly great.  They've come a long way from their shitty emo days.

On the bottom of my list is "Pacific Daydream" by Weezer.  Easily their worst album.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:53:44 PM by Jim The Stimulator »
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »
Not the best year IMO. Queens of the Stone Age stands out but even that release I was a little underwhelmed by after how good Like Clockwork was. If I had to give my top 3...

1. QOTSA - Villains
2. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
3. Future - Future

Rock n Roll needs some new blood man...
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »
Completely forgot about the Linkin Park album, while polarizing, I found to be very catchy. The title track is the one that weighed heavily on me for obvious reasons. Listening to 'Heavy' is so different now since Chester has past.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
KXM - Scatterbrain

Stunning record, I so wish they would tour. My wife has the Pink album on a lot, I rate it as I do all her stuff.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »
mastodon - emperor of sand

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 03:44:01 PM »

Nothing really wow'ed me last year either, but this is the album I played the most... Love these guys-

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 03:59:02 PM »
Completely forgot about the Linkin Park album, while polarizing, I found to be very catchy. The title track is the one that weighed heavily on me for obvious reasons. Listening to 'Heavy' is so different now since Chester has past.

Confession time: I actually enjoyed some of this album, which I realize even a large majority of LP fans seem to have rejected. Heavy, Sharp Edges, and Talking to Myself are legitimately catchy songs, and obviously One More Light took on a whole new meaning after Chester passed.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »
There weren't many alternative or rock albums I was particularly impressed by or interested in. In fact, I'd almost go as far as saying Electronic and Hip-Hop impressed me more this year. Which is a testament to how little I enjoyed in 2017. Acts like Tyler The Creator, Kendrick Lamar, Run The Jewels, Brockhampton, Thundercat, The XX, Oneotrix Point Never, and Calvin Harris were ever present. The Jesus And Mary Chain did release a great new record back in March, Damage and Joy. Spirit by Depeche Mode also came out, turning out to be a fairly solid comeback. Beck came out with a colorful collection of alternative pop songs. Bleachers released Gone Now, which I didn't enjoy nearly as much as the record that came before it. Marilyn Manson released a just OK follow up to his Pale Emperor album in the form of Heaven Upside Down. Linkin Park released a pop album that I hardly bothered with. Gorillaz released an overall pretty subpar album with HUMANZ.

I suppose I'd say Buckingham Mcvie by Lindsey Buckingham and Christine Mcvie was my favorite overall record in 2017.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:15:33 PM by Down-Plush »

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 08:30:46 PM »

Confession time: I actually enjoyed some of this album, which I realize even a large majority of LP fans seem to have rejected. Heavy, Sharp Edges, and Talking to Myself are legitimately catchy songs, and obviously One More Light took on a whole new meaning after Chester passed.

Absolutely. I had it on repeat for quite sometime. It's a quick, catchy listen. I always wondered if it was a more concentrated effort to make it more of a pop record since the previous Hunting Party record was more rock? I enjoyed it, and it's sometimes the albums that you least expect end up being one of your favorites.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 09:37:16 PM »

Absolutely. I had it on repeat for quite sometime. It's a quick, catchy listen. I always wondered if it was a more concentrated effort to make it more of a pop record since the previous Hunting Party record was more rock? I enjoyed it, and it's sometimes the album that you least expect end up being one of your favorites.

Honestly, I think it's just different. For me, LP has always been stuck in that nu-metal sound, even as they've evolved. This album was markedly different, and as someone who's always appreciated Chester's talents, hearing him in this new light was interesting for me. I also love the tone of the album, the way the upbeat melodies and general brightness of it contrasts with the darkness of the lyrics. It's certainly not for everyone, as it is basically as close to pop as you can get without being labeled as such, but I like to keep an open mind, and this album surprised me with how much I enjoyed it.