September 24, 2024, 09:39:38 PM

Author Topic: Meaning of Meadow  (Read 8044 times)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Meaning of Meadow
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »
I mentioned this in another post, but I think it deserves its own post.

As someone else mentioned, “Weiland” is the Dutch word for “meadow,” and the boys certainly would have learned this when they toured there in 1993. This memory was certainly dig up during the production of the Core 25 release. After looking at the lyrics again, it’s obvious:

Meadow is a love song from the band to Scott about their times together.

Check out these references from the lyrics:

Clementine - most people first came to know Scott with his iconic, fiery orange hair

Do you think you can dance - we all know Scott’s iconic dance moves

Sing a song, make it long, cause it’s nothing without you - the songs without Scott were never as successful

All I need is a chance, and I’m willing to play another day - the boys just waiting for a chance to work with Scott and being willing to play [their instruments]

We’re all just killing time and having fun here in the sun - could be a reference to their time in the Netherlands or just Southern California, killing time as in they’re ready to go and just waiting on Scott

As we drink from the fire that was burning in the meadow - the fire inside Scott

Cause I can’t live without you - again, they were never as successful without Scott

I got something to say, But you’ve already made, made your way - Scott made his own way in VR and solo, maybe the something they had to say was that they’re sorry and that they need him?

I’ll remember your ways - they will honor what Scott contributed to the band

I gave you all, you gave another - they gave him all, he gave to VR/his solo efforts? Note:  Jeff phrases this in the first person, because I think the intention is for them to make people think at first it’s just a song about a girl. STP has always been cryptic in this sense.

I hold the wheel, you light the flame - the band holds the mechanism to move them forward, but Scott lit the real fire that propelled them

Now, look at the cover again. The light with the orangey burst, like Scott’s orangey hair, is the fire burning in the meadow.

Weiland = Meadow.

The meadow is Scott.

Credit to I-want-a-time-machine for figuring out the Dutch thing!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:51:30 PM by EyesOfDisarray »

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of Meadow
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
Whether or not this was the band's (or Gutt's) actual intention, this is a beautiful interpretation that Scott would have loved to have heard. 

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Who knows if this is accurate, but I buy it and it's fantastic detective work!

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
Definitely a great interpretation.  In a couple spots I could see further meaning, but one in particular:

- I've got something to say, but you've already made, made your way -  Could be about VR/solo but also could be in the sense of Scott's passing. 

Its also possible Gutt just came up with it all, and had no intention of that whatsoever.
But when you have somewhat vague lyrics like this, meaning it's obviously about another being but doesn't specifically say who, then it definitely leaves a lot open to interpretation.  Yours is a really good one.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:56:30 PM »
I mean, the cover IS a yellow brick road leading from a rocky canyon into a sunny sky, like rising from a troubled life into Heaven.

Also I have no idea if it's intentional, subconscious, or complete coincidence; but the song really reminds me of Blaster. Beach Pop in particular.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Navarre

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:02:51 PM »
I mentioned the Weiland=Meadow thing earlier in the puzzle piece thread but no one picked that up.

@EyesOfDisarray that is a wonderful interpretation.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 07:15:20 PM »
Wow, that could just be it. Very interesting. Thank you for the interpretation.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »
I mentioned the Weiland=Meadow thing earlier in the puzzle piece thread but no one picked that up.

@EyesOfDisarray that is a wonderful interpretation.

Sorry, I didn’t notice that you had mentioned it in that thread. So you deserve credit too for figuring that part out. And thank you.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »
Interesting. Some points seem a bit of a stretch, clementine being Scotts hair?? Lol, but interesting take. Remember some saying that Fill the Fields was.about Scott.

The meadow, Welland thing is cool and would be nice if there's a shout outs to Scott like AIC did with Layne in there first album with Duval.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:44:57 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 05:06:49 PM »
I don't think it's a stretch at all, STP lyrics are usually full of analogies and metaphors.

A bigger stretch would be to think it were actually about someone called Clementine.

GoodTimeToLoosen

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 06:27:07 PM »
The more I listen I believe this song is about Scott, however I dont think lines like "its nothing without you" refers to their record sales, but more just a simple term of wish you were here dude.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
I don't think it's a stretch at all, STP lyrics are usually full of analogies and metaphors.

A bigger stretch would be to think it were actually about someone called Clementine.

As I'm sure you know Scotts wrote STPs lyrics.  So can't really compare.  We're not even sure if these are Gutts lyrics so while it's fun to read into them and thinking about Scott I have my doubts. 

You think its more plausible that Clementine is a ref. to Scott? I've never heard him described as orange and sweet, lol
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

oldleadbelly

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 10:30:16 PM »

As I'm sure you know Scotts wrote STPs lyrics.  So can't really compare.  We're not even sure if these are Gutts lyrics so while it's fun to read into them and thinking about Scott I have my doubts. 

You think its more plausible that Clementine is a ref. to Scott? I've never heard him described as orange and sweet, lol

Maybe this is more of a reference to "Clementine" from the old western Americana ballad "Oh My Darling, Clementine," as in someone who is "lost and gone forever."

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 12:27:33 AM »
Hasn't anyone ever heard someone say "Rise and shine Clementine"?? Pretty common saying in the heartland. Same as "Good morning." or "Time to wake up."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:29:22 AM by HUTEYE »
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 01:58:56 AM »
Really cool analysis. If this is anywhere close to reality, it’s pretty damn cool of the band to put it together. 

I always thought Out of Time was a message Chester was sending to Scott.