September 25, 2024, 07:23:48 AM

Author Topic: How do you feel about the new STP single - 'Meadow'? (Poll)  (Read 5438 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
How do you feel about the new STP single - 'Meadow'? (Poll)
« on: November 15, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »
Interested to see the general opinion on the new single around here and what better way than a poll?

If you've only listened to it once you might want to hear it a few times before voting, I've listened to it numerous times now and whilst better than I expected (and waaay better than 'Out of Time' which would've got the suck vote from me) I'm still going with It's Okay. I think there will be better songs on the album though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:03:43 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: How do you feel about the new STP single - 'Meadow'? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:31:21 PM »

I voted "okay".

The song is not bad. It is not great or cool but it is not bad.
I think we should realize and remember that the old STP and the old days with Scott are gone forever.
Though most of us here, I think, are fans of Scott, we should keep loyal towards new STP music.
Of course it's a good advice to keep our minds and heart open for new album.
It is wrong to compare new material with old wonderful classics.
Because comparing with best classic material one can say that "Meadow" is weak, faceless, toothless, unoriginal and will not stand the test of time.
But hell, 25 years have passed!! It is a half of human life!

The truth is - that time has gone and it's normal though sad.
STP have a long career. It's really hard to be original and to stay sharp after two decades.

The main thing now is that STP still go on and overcome tragical obstacles and circumstances.
Not to mention reunions with Scott, the band now enters the same river for THIRD (not even second) time! Sic!
 Is it easy for any musician??

"Meadow" obviously is not "Big Empty" or "Wicked Garden" or even "Sour Girl". And, most likely, it never will. No one in a whole world can ever do that again.
We should take it as it is, as a fact.
The single gives the direction - we may expect music in style of 2010 album or "High Rise". Whether we like it or not.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:08:55 PM by Alex »

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 04:00:34 PM »
I like it. I'm really liking his voice, more than I thought I would. I think this sound is going to work really well.

I don't think the vote options fit for me. It's better than "okay", but not "Love it ...STP are Back!"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:03:27 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:13:58 PM »
I don't think the vote options fit for me. It's better than "okay", but not "Love it ...STP are Back!"

Same here. I like it a lot, but I don't know that I love it.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »
At first listen I didn't care for it. Always have  to give it the car test and a bunch of listens. It is a grower for sure. How ever it is a very good track especially for a single. Plus Gutt is himself not a clone but still brings elements of Weiland at the same time. The sound is definitely STP. I see now there is no other way for them to continue as anything but STP.

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
I absolutely LOVE this song. I've probably listened to it 15 times this morning, with no exaggeration. I do truly feel STP is back.  I was pushing for Gutt from the day his name first came up a year ago.  My wife and I both are long time fans and we love the song, him as vocalist and can't wait to see the band live.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »
I absolutely LOVE this song. I've probably listened to it 15 times this morning, with no exaggeration. I do truly feel STP is back.  I was pushing for Gutt from the day his name first came up a year ago.  My wife and I both are long time fans and we love the song, him as vocalist and can't wait to see the band live.

Wow this is about as many times as I have listened to it this morning. Great track, finally the younger generation will get a real taste of STP and then be able to discover the back catalog as well. STP needs to push this hard. This feels like a Ac/dc moment. It took way longer but I think STP truly has been reborn.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 05:07:08 PM »
I like the song...
For kicks, I listened to "Meadow" back-to-back-to-back with "Out Of Time" and "Between The Lines", and of course, I feel that drop off.
But similarly to Talk Show, once I got passed the fact that it wasn't "STP with Scott", I appreciated the album for what it is/was.
I think this finds itself in a similar scenario. It'll take a little time, but I'm happy to hear that "sound" again.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

hahninator

• Pilot
  • Read between the lines...
    • View Profile
    • LPLive
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »
I really love the song. They picked a great singer. I'm in.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:41 PM »
I was disappointed when it turned out to be Gutt, but now having heard this, i'm very happy. After many listens it is really quite good I think.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:56 PM »
22 votes on one of the most cynical and negative forums I have been to, and nobody hates it yet. That's gotta say something about this tune.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 08:41:10 PM »
I like it. I'm really liking his voice, more than I thought I would. I think this sound is going to work really well.

I feel the same exact way
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Stone Template Pilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »
I think it's okay. It is not Jeff Gutt I take issue with so much, his voice is pretty sweet, it is the music. It feels very generic to me. I will support the band and try the new album but if it all goes in this kind of direction, I think my love for STP will stay in the past.
Not bad, not great either. Horses for courses I guess.

Navarre

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »
I gave it a few spins. But I wish I could vote 'meh'. It's too general poprock sounding for me. Given what these guys are capable of I am not impressed with the music. I think Gutt does a good job on his part though.

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
Here’s a bit of an observation - I️ kind of like that Gutt is a presence on social media.  It’s something the band pretty much ignores. I️ know Robert has a Twitter but he isn’t overly active on it. Dean is straight out of the 70’s, man. Lol maybe the increased exposure on these platforms is a help.
Werd to Big Berd!