September 29, 2024, 12:22:59 PM

Author Topic: Meadow - Single  (Read 35187 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Meadow - Single
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »
They don’t have to throw away anything, their past success has given them a platform. If the only way they are able to release music is because the band name they use then maybe they shouldn’t be doing it at all.
Despite my absolute love for Scott, I'm with the band on this.  They're 3/4 of the original band and they shouldn't have to abandon making the music they want to make under the banner they want to make it simply because they had a singer that threw his life away.  Again, I'm not sure why your argument is so common in the music realm when it wouldnt hold up in any other commercial arena. 

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2018, 05:11:43 PM »
Because integrity, or legacy, or something.

Apparently what name you write on the cover, is the most important part of making music.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »

I just want them to stop pissing on their legacy and apparently failure is the only thing that will get them to change their routes. I would love them to see them succeed if they formed something new

This is exactly what I don't understand. I have no concept of how or why you feel like this. You say you want them to be successful, but only if they first throw away everything they worked for for 30 years and try and make it again in a new band, to satisfy some arbitrary standard of integrity you've set for them.

Just seems like risible, childish nonsense to me. YMMV.
They don’t have to throw away anything, their past success has given them a platform. If the only way they are able to release music is because the band name they use then maybe they shouldn’t be doing it at all.

First of all, they aren't throwing anything away. The legacy will, and always has, survive. After everything-- the reunion, the break-up, Scott's humiliatingly bad solo tours, the lawsuit, Chester coming and going,  Scott's sad and lonely death outside a fucking mall in Minnesota-- the Core re-issue still charted and I still hear STP on the radio almost every day. The legacy will survive a new album and tour with a new singer.

Secondly, it's not just about selling new records. I don't see how people who claim to only interested in the preservation of the band's legacy are somehow ignorant to the fact that continuing on with a new singer is the best way to do just that. They have 6 LPs and an EP of music that would mostly never be played live if they start a new group. And a new record under a new name, no matter how successful, will not renew interest in the back catalog and potentially introduce a new generation to the original records the way a new successful STP record would.

The point is, the band's legacy has absolutely nothing to lose from a new singer, but it does have a lot it can potentially gain. New album bombs? The band loses some money, but Interstate and Plush are still played on the radio a million times a day for the rest of eternity. New album succeeds? Increased exposure and sales for the back catalog, and maybe even enough notoriety to get the original four members inducted into the RRHF a little earlier.

And besides all that, this way we can actually see them play songs like Glide and Dumb Love live some day. And if you aren't excited by that prospect, maybe you don't actually care about the band's legacy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:01:38 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »

I just want them to stop pissing on their legacy and apparently failure is the only thing that will get them to change their routes. I would love them to see them succeed if they formed something new

This is exactly what I don't understand. I have no concept of how or why you feel like this. You say you want them to be successful, but only if they first throw away everything they worked for for 30 years and try and make it again in a new band, to satisfy some arbitrary standard of integrity you've set for them.

First of all, they aren't throwing anything away. The legacy will, and always has, survive. After everything-- the reunion, the break-up, Scott's humiliatingly bad solo tours, the lawsuit, Chester coming and going,  Scott's sad and lonely death outside a fucking mall in Minnesota-- the Core re-issue still charted and I still hear STP on the radio almost every day. The legacy will survive a new album and tour with a new singer.

Secondly, it's not just about selling new records. I don't see how people who claim to only interested in the preservation of the band's legacy are somehow ignorant to the fact that continuing on with a new singer is the best way to do just that. They have 6 LPs and an EP of music that would mostly never be played live if they start a new group. And a new record under a new name, no matter how successful, will not renew interest in the back catalog and potentially introduce a new generation to the original records the way a new successful STP record would.

The point is, the band's legacy has absolutely nothing to lose from a new singer, but it does have a lot it can potentially gain. New album bombs? The band loses some money, but Interstate and Plush are still played on the radio a million times a day for the rest of eternity. New album succeeds? Increased exposure and sales for the back catalog, and maybe even enough notoriety to get the original four members inducted into the RRHF a little earlier.

And besides all that, this way we can actually see them play songs like Glide and Dumb Love live some day. And if you aren't excited by that prospect, maybe you don't actually care about the band's legacy.

I NEED to hear "Glide" live.

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2018, 06:40:12 AM »
@coconutbackwards  I know the feeling, because that's how I always felt about Pruno. When I got to see it live finally I was super excited. Chester did it justice man, honestly he did. Hopefully Jeff will do the same for the back catalog and you'll get to see Glide. The Talk Show live version of Glide is actually really cool.

At first I was perhaps a bit undecided, but now I'm looking forward to the new chapter of STP history. I definitely was not into the High Rise E.P. but I have a good feeling about this upcoming full length. The Meadow single won me over. These guys have been through a lot and I get the vibe that they feel they have a lot to prove. I'm thinking the music will do all the talking. Worst case scenario we get essentially a Talk Show 2 record, which wouldn't be a bad thing. In fact, I'll go as far to say that I'm actually expecting this album to be better than 2010's self titled release.

To clarify, I don't expect it to have stand out tracks better than say Between The Lines, Take A Load Off, or Maver, but I think front to back the overall album will be better and won't have that phoned in feel to it.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2018, 04:02:12 AM »

Scotts tour was solo and therefore had nothing to do with stp’s Legacy and why would a cover band playing those songs live impact their legacy? I’m not interested in a reality tv show contestant’s version of glide. That’s my opinion but one thing you can never accuse me of is not caring about the legacy of stp even if we see things differently. Also a legacy is more than air time on the radio

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »
I don't give a fuck about legacy. I know I love the old stuff, and I'm ready to love the new stuff. Whatever that means for legacy, I don't know.

Can't wait to buy tickets if they come to Toronto.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »

Scotts tour was solo and therefore had nothing to do with stp’s Legacy and why would a cover band playing those songs live impact their legacy? I’m not interested in a reality tv show contestant’s version of glide. That’s my opinion but one thing you can never accuse me of is not caring about the legacy of stp even if we see things differently. Also a legacy is more than air time on the radio

So precisely what is "the legacy"? And please articulate exactly why their recording as STP impacts it negatively. I'm assuming it must be really bad if you would prefer they abandon their whole career rather than keep their band name.

Do tell.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2018, 01:41:26 PM »

So precisely what is "the legacy"? And please articulate exactly why their recording as STP impacts it negatively. I'm assuming it must be really bad if you would prefer they abandon their whole career rather than keep their band name.

Do tell.
And why precisely would starting a new project would be abandoning their whole career? Many musicians are able to form new projects with new names. Look at Chris Cornell, not everything he did was called soundgarden yet he didn’t throw away his career the moment he didn’t use that band name. And while we are thinking of him, he mentioned while making new music with soundgarden that they had to be sure that what they released was true to the LEGACY that soundgarden had created because it was a special catalog. By calling new music stp it’s diluting the library. Meadow will now be part of every stone temple pilots search just like vasoline. You don’t have to care about the legacy or what their history looks like as a whole but some people treat music as more than just a business. Scott was that way, Chris was that way and that’s one thing I adored about them. Scott wasn’t even playing plush because he said that’s a song that was between those four and should stay that way. I have a similar mindset. I think some things are sacred and that includes the name stone temple pilots. You don’t have to but that’s how I feel

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Their career is Stone Temple Pilots. It's what made them famous, it's the songs they want to perform, it's who they want to be. You want them to abandon that based on some arbitrary, ethereal nonsense about legacies and integrity.

And I see nothing there that defines "the legacy" or makes any logical argument as to why releasing a new record is detrimental to it. Internet searches? WTF? What they do now has ZERO effect on the existence of what they did before. All it can do is draw more attention to what they have already done.

Yeah, music is more than a business, they want to have an audience for what they create, they want their music to reach as many people as possible, because they are musicians. All you care about is what name they put on it, which you seem to take as some sort of personal affront. You'd rather they just gave up, than continue with the band they worked their whole lives to make successful. So utterly petty.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
Their career is Stone Temple Pilots. It's what made them famous, it's the songs they want to perform, it's who they want to be. You want them to abandon that based on some arbitrary, ethereal nonsense about legacies and integrity.

And I see nothing there that defines "the legacy" or makes any logical argument as to why releasing a new record is detrimental to it. Internet searches? WTF? What they do now has ZERO effect on the existence of what they did before. All it can do is draw more attention to what they have already done.

Yeah, music is more than a business, they want to have an audience for what they create, they want their music to reach as many people as possible, because they are musicians. All you care about is what name they put on it, which you seem to take as some sort of personal affront. You'd rather they just gave up, than continue with the band they worked their whole lives to make successful. So utterly petty.
It shows how little faith you have in their musical abilities when you say they would be throwing out their careers. If they had good music to contribute the name wouldn’t matter. That’s why audioslave and temple of the dog and velvet revolver weren’t throwing out their careers but turning a new page. And honestly if the only way you can keep releasing music is banking on the past success of a band name then you probably shouldn’t be making music anyway because you aren’t contributing anything worthwhile.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2018, 05:30:47 PM »
It's got nothing to do with their musical abilities or my faith in them whatsoever. Talk Show is a brilliant album written at the height of their fame and abilities. It bombed worse than Army of Anyone even. But that's the only road you'll accept them going down. Totally absurd.

You seem to think success in the music business is simply down to your ability, just be good, and you'll make it. It's like Magic! You don't have the faintest clue about the music industry.

You clearly have no interest in hearing music from them at all, or you wouldn't set them such ridiculous bars to jump. Which is fine, just move on instead of whining. There's plenty more bands out there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:35:29 PM by Pingfah »

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2018, 09:35:07 PM »
Again, this argument would be totally ridiculous in any other industry and its ridiculous here too.

We dont tell Apple to stop making products after Steve Jobs died, or demand that they change the company name.   

STP is a business not unlike sports teams, tech manufacturers, movie studios, etc.  Yes, the product is different, but its a business and the STP members should be able to do what they want with their business.  It is entirely up to the individual whether they want to support the business. 

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
It's got nothing to do with their musical abilities or my faith in them whatsoever. Talk Show is a brilliant album written at the height of their fame and abilities. It bombed worse than Army of Anyone even. But that's the only road you'll accept them going down. Totally absurd.

You seem to think success in the music business is simply down to your ability, just be good, and you'll make it. It's like Magic! You don't have the faintest clue about the music industry.

You clearly have no interest in hearing music from them at all, or you wouldn't set them such ridiculous bars to jump. Which is fine, just move on instead of whining. There's plenty more bands out there.
I’ve literally been in the music industry since I was a teenager. If they had an amazing album with a couple great singles they would be able to find success promoting themselves as a new supergroup featuring former members of stp, especially when they had Chester, that was a perfect equivalent to audioslave in terms of it being three instrumentalists of one band and adding the singer of another. With that HUGE foot in the door you can make an impact with a great record, this the success of velvet revolver and audioslave. Point is, if they have something meaningful to contribute then marketing themselves as a new supergroup featuring stp members would be enough to give them success. But their priority is like many peoples here, keeping stp running as a business. To me, that seems contrary to both the essence of both rock and roll and stp but that’s my opinion

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2018, 10:10:51 PM »
Again, this argument would be totally ridiculous in any other industry and its ridiculous here too.

We dont tell Apple to stop making products after Steve Jobs died, or demand that they change the company name.   

STP is a business not unlike sports teams, tech manufacturers, movie studios, etc.  Yes, the product is different, but its a business and the STP members should be able to do what they want with their business.  It is entirely up to the individual whether they want to support the business.
It doesn’t have to be seen that way. Zeppelin was treated that way by its members, neither was soundgarden. You can view things in a more sacred way, or you can try to figure out how to make the most money out of it. I had built up stp to have the integrity of zeppelin, I’m disappointed to see it’s closer to journey