September 24, 2024, 11:32:18 PM

Author Topic: Meadow - Single  (Read 34868 times)

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Meadow - Single
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2017, 08:51:41 PM »
It feels like STP trying to be STP and capture what they consider to be the "STP sound" rather than pushing the music in a new direction.  Its like STP is covering themselves and making shorter pop songs....

This is exactly what happened to the Chili Peppers.  They recorded By the Way which was a pretty big departure from their 'brand'.  They were getting more artsy with their sound.  Then came Stadium Arcadium (and every release since with Klinghoffer) where it sounds like RHCP is just a band trying to play covers of themselves.

The same thing is happening to Primus.  Even though every Primus record has a distinct 'Primus' sound, each one had a sonic blueprint as you say.  Their newest record 'The Desaturating Seven' sounds like if you told a Primus-obsessed college band to "write a Primus sounding record" and that is what you get.  Just a cliche sound that keeps the masses happy that is "sounds like Primus" but artistically, very bland and uninspired.
Exactly!  Funny thing, I actually think By The Way is my favorite RHCP record, its different and its amazing. 

I think this phenomenon is a byproduct of STP's current writing process (which I dont like) where the band writes the songs and the singer (who may or may not have had much, if any, input on the songwriting) then records on top.  I understand for ST that was what was required due to Scott's level of "cooperation", but I suspect for the same reasons that the record we get in the spring will sound a LOT like ST.  The thing that gets lost on instrumentalists sometimes is that sometimes the instrumental part of a song actually forms out of a great melody idea and not just the other way around.  Sometimes a singer might have a good input/idea earlier on in the songwriting process that affects how that song gets fleshed out the rest of the way.  In my opinion, if you want to make the best record you can make, all the pieces need to be there for the whole process.  You can pinpoint the exact moment in the Deleo's careers where that switch flipped. Even the Army of Anyone record has a nice cohesive flow and feel to it.

I can't remember who said it earlier, but I think record #2 with Gutt will be more of the record we are waiting for.  I just hope the first release of STP 3.0 is successful enough that they keep making music as a band. 

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2017, 08:54:12 PM »
The riff to this is stale, but Gutt sounds great. Have hopes for an album with some solid tracks.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
The song is most definitely not un-mastered. They wouldn't release it un-mastered. With that said, it's not brick-walled to death like some other modern day releases. Maybe that is what you guys are hearing. Maybe in comparison to some other songs, it's not as loud as you'd like it to be.

FWIW, These days with various different digital platforms, songs are mastered 'optimized for streaming'. Different platforms .... Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Soundcloud and TIDAL...they all have different max levels.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2017, 11:01:45 PM »
The song is most definitely not un-mastered. They wouldn't release it un-mastered. With that said, it's not brick-walled to death like some other modern day releases. Maybe that is what you guys are hearing. Maybe in comparison to some other songs, it's not as loud as you'd like it to be.

FWIW, These days with various different digital platforms, songs are mastered 'optimized for streaming'. Different platforms .... Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora, Soundcloud and TIDAL...they all have different max levels.

Agree totally. Lots of new bands that use older producers like Kevin Caveman Shirley master albums to sound their best not their loudest. Just like Brendan Obrien use to do with STP.  I also like the trend of mastering for vinyl and CD differently which is starting to come back. Mp3 music almost always sounds worse. If you max certain tracks out they sound distorted. I let a band know and they fixed it a while back. No more loudness wars please

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2017, 11:16:45 PM »
To be clear, it’s not the level that made me think it’s unmastered. I A/B’d it with some other well-mastered tracks, after adjusting the levels to roughly match, and it seems to lack certain qualities of other tracks that make them sound more “alive”. Again, my ear is not trained in mastering, so I could be wrong. Also, it could just be that that’s the sound they went for. For example, Tiny Music is a very different sounding album from the rest of their catalog, and I’m sure the mastering is somewhat part of that.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:05 AM »
I'm curious about the timing of the release.  With album not coming out until spring and no tour dates anytime soon why release it now?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2017, 06:59:43 AM »
I'm digging this track hard! I said many times that I didn't care for any of Mr. Gutt's live footage of him doing covers, X Factor and that I couldn't hear him fronting STP. I Stick by the part about the live footage but, I'm hooked on this track hard and impressed with the live STP aired on Oct 14th! I have had the melody of MEADOW stuck in my head for 3 days. My fav part is when the bass line kicks in and growls, I giggle my ass off. If you just close your eyes, while listening, things sound as they should. Good things are coming my friends! Good Luck Jeffro!
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »

I am very impressed with Gutt's vocals from the show...and I like Meadow....but I am not a fan of how they set the vocals. There is an echo effect to his voice...no idea why they did that...his voice doesn't need it. And I agree, the song sounds compressed, vocals sound meshed with the music instead of on top of it. His voice can hang as evident from the audio from the show.

Maybe the guys want to play it safe in the beginning and get comfortable with a new voice...but I say let it rip and let his vocals get in our faces. Thousands of submissions and months and months of auditions. If he is your guy, let em loose!

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2017, 08:41:29 AM »
Finally realized what meadow reminds me of. Haven't been able to put my finger on it till now. It's a mix of high rise-era STP (obviously) and Jet. Jeffs cadence and inflection on this track remind me a bit of Jet and their singer.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
Finally realized what meadow reminds me of. Haven't been able to put my finger on it till now. It's a mix of high rise-era STP (obviously) and Jet. Jeffs cadence and inflection on this track remind me a bit of Jet and their singer.

Yeah, I can hear the Jet comparison, and I like it — it works very well with this High Rise-style track. I think Jet was one of the better rock acts to come out of the past decade or two.

The more I listen to the song, the more I like it. It was not what I was expecting at first — after they used three of their heaviest songs for the soundcheck, I thought Meadow was going to end up being another heavy hitter. So the style of the song caught me off-guard, but the more I get acclimated to Jeff and this direction of the music, I have to say it’s really hard not to like this song. It’s just so catchy and such feel good rock-and-roll, and it has a very powerful meaning (if you follow my theory about the song’s meaning).

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
I found myself singing the chorus whilst taking a piss earlier... Proof that the song is catchy, I can see it doing well at radio.

With regards to heavier songs, do you think there’ll be any on the album? Something in the vein of ‘Down’, ‘Dumb Love’, ‘Coma’?? I don’t think there will, it’s been a long time since STP did a song like that. I think it’ll be similar in style to the material on Self Titled and High Rise, but I’m hoping the songs are stronger.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
I found myself singing the chorus whilst taking a piss earlier... Proof that the song is catchy, I can see it doing well at radio.

With regards to heavier songs, do you think there’ll be any on the album? Something in the vein of ‘Down’, ‘Dumb Love’, ‘Coma’?? I don’t think there will, it’s been a long time since STP did a song like that. I think it’ll be similar in style to the material on Self Titled and High Rise, but I’m hoping the songs are stronger.
I'm betting there will be. That's if they want to re-establish themselves as a top rock act. If they are satisfied with touring and being a nostalgia act there wont be any. But it was the heavy tunes of Core that put them on the map. They will never be able to recapture the glory of Core as rock is on life support, but if they want to be accepted with a new singer as STP they will have to unhitch the alternative poppy stuff and write a song or two that sounds like it coulda been on Core. Jeff can really nail the heavy stuff it would be a complete waste of talent if they don't take advantage of that.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
I decided to sit on the single for a few days prior to giving my opinion. Here goes:

Upon my first listen to the song, I had mixed feelings. Immediately, it sounded like a throw away track from one of the older albums, something like “Church on Tuesday” or another one that sort of slips by that is mediocre that we forget about. I will admit the more that I listen to the song the more I enjoy it. However, I am very far from loving it.

I actually see me not loving it right away as sort of a problem and I will explain why. When I used to buy STP albums, there was an immediate sentimental attachment to most of the songs. I loved each album on its own and was assured repeatedly (even with Scott’s solo work) that these people were my favorite musicians and the way their music made me feel was the sole reason. I felt this way with No. 4 especially when “Atlanta” was the finale. I remember buying the album, rushing home, and I listened to it over and over. I listened to that song in particular over and over and it was one that I fell in love with immediately. I was so proud of STP that they had gone through so much even at that time and could still create such beauty. Most of the songs on No. 4 are complete masterpieces to me as with SLDD. When I came upon the self-titled album and High Rise, I thought they were complete duds and a lot of this has to do with the musical style STP seemed to be embracing, which was very different from any of their past material. People have often said that bands evolve and to get used to the new sound. However, this is not evolving, it is devolving in my view. I am sad to think I will never feel the way I used to feel about STP.

When I hear the new single, I am still hearing elements of that self-titled era that mashes sounds together with really fast guitar riffs, forcing the singer to jumble words. “Between the Lines” is a great example of this new style I am talking about. We barely understand Scott there and it just seems like a big mess. Listen to that song and then “Wonderful” and you have two completely different bands. However, the new single is absolutely saved by the chorus itself. To me, it makes the entire song and is a part of the song I keep going back to, which is probably natural with music in general.

Me personally, I want the Deleos to discontinue this fast riff jumble thing I’ve been seeing lately, which I know people will mock me for saying. Their past albums have been a nice spread of ballads, mixed with fast songs, and then some that are sort of both (Still Remains and Adhesive). This single is good, but I (Just like everyone else) need to hear much more before I can really comment on this movement as a whole. 

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »

When I hear the new single, I am still hearing elements of that self-titled era that mashes sounds together with really fast guitar riffs, forcing the singer to jumble words. “Between the Lines” is a great example of this new style I am talking about. We barely understand Scott there and it just seems like a big mess. Listen to that song and then “Wonderful” and you have two completely different bands....

I've noticed this too.  I don't think its the music though causing the jumbling of words, but just the lack of effort Scott seemed to put into his lyrics/melodies on that record.  Either way, I'm glad you noticed that trend on the record as well.  The lyrics sound forced, like he was too stubborn to change the lyrics around the meter of the song so he just spouted off as much as he could before a chorus kicked in.  Outside of STP I think another good example of lyric jumbling is the Arctic Monkeys.  There is less emphasis on well crafted melody and more about just reading a huge slew of lyrics from their poetry book in a sing-songy voice over the music.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

Yeah, I can hear the Jet comparison, and I like it — it works very well with this High Rise-style track. I think Jet was one of the better rock acts to come out of the past decade or two.

I remember Jet got a lot of shit when they first came out (sound familiar?) but Get Born is a fantastic album, while Shine On was a solid follow-up. Great live too. Seen them twice (04 and 05). I know Nic Chester just released a solo album, and they reunited to do a few shows this year. I'm hoping they release a new album and tour the states. One of the few bands that me and my wife can agree on :-)
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..