September 24, 2024, 11:29:29 PM

Author Topic: Meadow - Single  (Read 34865 times)

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Meadow - Single
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »
So far you all have said Meadow reminds you of STP, ChesTP, Talk Show, and Army of Anyone. Make up ya damn minds!  ;D
The thing that Gutt did not touch in the STP palette is the girth of the Core and Purple era. Maybe STP outgrew that sound (or arguably even avoided it) but how Gutt sort of took off from where Scott came from is commendable.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:45:46 AM by skunkyfunk »

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:38 AM »
have not listened to it yet, but the word"meadow"is a reference to Scott, as "weiland" is dutch for meadow. That was probably the first thing they heard when they first set foot in the netherlands back in '93, so that must be intentional.
half the art school girl she used to be...

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »
have not listened to it yet, but the word"meadow"is a reference to Scott, as "weiland" is dutch for meadow. That was probably the first thing they heard when they first set foot in the netherlands back in '93, so that must be intentional.

Wow! I've never known about this. Nice touch! You're discerning.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2017, 01:49:50 PM »

Holy shit. That just gave the lyrics whole new meaning.

This is a love song from the band to Scott.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:56:31 PM by EyesOfDisarray »

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2017, 02:28:15 PM »

Makes sense because out of time was calling him out. I’d be surprised if meadow even has out of time’s success

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »

Damn. It all makes sense now.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »
I've been spinning this song non-stop for the last few days and I kind of decided that the best part about it actually probably is Gutt.  Its kind of a generic song and I would call it just 'okay'.  Not a super-strong single, IMO.  The lyrics are kind of on the nose for me.  That said, Gutt has a good melodic hook and it works.  The bass and guitar seem kind of uninspired to me, but I am still optimistic for STP 3.0 and really hope the album is good.  Again, just my 2c, glad people are loving it. 

Side note, this song (to me) has the same feel as anything STP has done since the reunion.  It feels like STP trying to be STP and capture what they consider to be the "STP sound" rather than pushing the music in a new direction.  Its like STP is covering themselves and making shorter pop songs.  I dont dig that direction as much.  I feel like if you look at the first 5 albums individually they all have their own sonic blueprint and for the most part, they all sound VERY different.  By comparison, the ST release, High Rise, and this song all have a same general feel... STP doing "STP".  I want an album, a journey where the guys do something new and arent just trying to make STP music but rather are making the music they want to make.  I hope that is the direction of the new album and that its not a collection of STP songs like ST was (again in my opinion). 

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2017, 04:43:05 PM »
I've been spinning this song non-stop for the last few days and I kind of decided that the best part about it actually probably is Gutt.  Its kind of a generic song and I would call it just 'okay'.  Not a super-strong single, IMO.  The lyrics are kind of on the nose for me.  That said, Gutt has a good melodic hook and it works.  The bass and guitar seem kind of uninspired to me, but I am still optimistic for STP 3.0 and really hope the album is good.  Again, just my 2c, glad people are loving it. 

Side note, this song (to me) has the same feel as anything STP has done since the reunion.  It feels like STP trying to be STP and capture what they consider to be the "STP sound" rather than pushing the music in a new direction.  Its like STP is covering themselves and making shorter pop songs.  I dont dig that direction as much.  I feel like if you look at the first 5 albums individually they all have their own sonic blueprint and for the most part, they all sound VERY different.  By comparison, the ST release, High Rise, and this song all have a same general feel... STP doing "STP".  I want an album, a journey where the guys do something new and arent just trying to make STP music but rather are making the music they want to make.  I hope that is the direction of the new album and that its not a collection of STP songs like ST was (again in my opinion). 

I agree in that I hope the new album has its own unique sound.  However, I feel that since it's a debut album with the new singer that they'll play it pretty safe.  I don't think we can expect something too different until a second album with Gutt.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
It feels like STP trying to be STP and capture what they consider to be the "STP sound" rather than pushing the music in a new direction.  Its like STP is covering themselves and making shorter pop songs....

This is exactly what happened to the Chili Peppers.  They recorded By the Way which was a pretty big departure from their 'brand'.  They were getting more artsy with their sound.  Then came Stadium Arcadium (and every release since with Klinghoffer) where it sounds like RHCP is just a band trying to play covers of themselves.

The same thing is happening to Primus.  Even though every Primus record has a distinct 'Primus' sound, each one had a sonic blueprint as you say.  Their newest record 'The Desaturating Seven' sounds like if you told a Primus-obsessed college band to "write a Primus sounding record" and that is what you get.  Just a cliche sound that keeps the masses happy that is "sounds like Primus" but artistically, very bland and uninspired.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:45 PM »

Couldn't agree with you more on all counts, Aaron.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
I just bought ‘Meadow’ from iTunes in the hope it’d be better quality than the YouTube version, whilst it’s louder it still sounds kinda shitty in terms of compression etc making the lyrics hard to distinguish in parts. Are we thinking this is unmastered?? If so isn’t that kinda unprofessional to release and SELL a single in such a state??

As for the song, it’s grown on me a lot, it’s gone from ‘okay’ to yeah I dig this. It’s still nothing groundbreaking by any means, it’s very safe, but my god it is catchy, especially the pre chorus ‘And we’re all having fun here in the sun’, love that part, more than the actual chorus! As I’ve already stated I had low expectations going into this and I expected to hate it, I’m the biggest Scott Weiland fan and I wasn’t happy with the thought of an STP without him at all, I still wish this band was called something else BUT I dig this singers voice and style and I can’t deny it. No one will replace Scott for me, there’ll never be another Scott Weiland, he was the greatest as far as I’m concerned, the last of a dying breed but I think the band have made a good choice with this Jeff guy. I could never get behind CheSTP as I simply couldn’t stand Chester’s vocals or his lyrics, STP with Linkin Park vocals is what that was to me and I didn’t think it fit, plus as others have said ‘Out Of Time’ was clearly taking shots at Scott which I thought was petty and kinda pissed me off, even if it wasn’t though that chorus was just nails down a chalk board to me.

I’m looking forward to the new album but I think it may all be safe, I think this bands days of experimenting musically may be over but there’ll be some catchy rock tunes with good vocals on it for sure and I’ll take that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:27:29 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »
I just bought ‘Meadow’ from iTunes in the hope it’d be better quality than the YouTube version, whilst it’s louder it still sounds kinda shitty in terms of compression etc making the lyrics hard to distinguish in parts. Are we thinking this is unmastered?? If so isn’t that kinda unprofessional to release and SELL a single in such a state??

As for the song, it’s grown on me a lot, it’s gone from ‘okay’ to yeah I dig this. It’s still nothing groundbreaking by any means, it’s very safe, but my god it is catchy, especially the pre chorus ‘And we’re all having fun here in the sun’, love that part, more than the actual chorus! As I’ve already stated I had low expectations going into this and I expected to hate it, I’m the biggest Scott Weiland fan and I wasn’t happy with the thought of an STP without him at all, I still wish this band was called something else BUT I dig this singers voice and style and I can’t deny it. No one will replace Scott for me, there’ll never be another Scott Weiland, he was the greatest as far as I’m concerned, the last of a dying breed but I think the band have made a good choice with this Jeff guy. I could never get behind CheSTP as I simply couldn’t stand Chester’s vocals or his lyrics, STP with Linkin Park vocals is what that was to me and I didn’t think it fit, plus as others have said ‘Out Of Time’ was clearly taking shots at Scott which I thought was petty and kinda pissed me off, even if it wasn’t though that chorus was just nails down a chalk board to me.

I’m looking forward to the new album but I think it may all be safe, I think this bands days of experimenting musically may be over but there’ll be some catchy rock tunes with good vocals on it for sure and I’ll take that.

Google play version sounds good to me. Mp3 quality always sucks compared to CD and vinyl however to me. As far as the track goes this is definitely their best work since SLDD period.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
One thing that really struck me is that this is the first time the DeLeos' music has sounded like it came from a BAND since AoA. We all know how little S/T meshed vocally and instrumentally, and while I was a big fan of CheSTP, even with High Rise it felt like more like STP + Chester than STP.

It's up to you whether this sounds like STP or not, but this definitely sounds like four cats making a song together. The melody fits seamlessly into the song. It's been a long time since we heard that.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2017, 07:33:35 PM »

I'm thinking along the same lines in the new record but for different reason.  I don't think it will intentionally be safe.  But rather just sound like the self titled album in that it's just a handful of isolated songs which may be good but not necessarily a cohesive journey of an album.  And I think that's just part of having the music written out in advance, let alone having it written out in advance prior to even having a singer nailed down.

I'd expect something different if the majority of it was all created at the same time, all parties together.  I think it plays a huge part in the difference between an album like STP or an album like SLDD.

Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »
I do think it’s unmastered. This is my opinion based on the version on YouTube and Spotify. I’m a trained film composer but I’m very much an amateur when it comes to mixing and mastering.

And yes, it would be unprofessional for them to release a single for sale that is unmastered. I’m guessing the reason is that the album has not been mastered yet. But still, if this is really the case, they should have had the song mastered by itself for this release, then later had it done again for the album.