September 25, 2024, 03:36:53 AM

Author Topic: Meadow - Single  (Read 34900 times)

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Meadow - Single
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
I'm actually very curious where all of those people are who said STP should be ashamed to continue playing music and that they were insulting Scott by moving forward and calling themselves STP. I'm sure those same people who said they were going to discontinue listening to the band are now here commenting, keeping up with the news, and did not hesitate listening to the new single.

I think the biggest hitch with them going on as 'STP' and insulting Scott was because Scott was still alive during that time.  Now that he isn't, I think its easier to mentally start fresh and push the Deleos/Kretz in a positive direction.

Right, but there a lot of people out there criticizing the band still for not starting fresh entirely. I have read comments on Rolling Stone, Billboard and Yahoo that bash the band for not only continuing under the STP name but for also not playing entirely new songs. My take is that these guys shouldn't have to flush their careers down the toilet because of Scott's demons. Their careers are heavily based around their hits and they have every right to play the songs they wrote with whomever they please, especially now that Scott is gone. My comment has to do more with the fact that the search for a new singer 2 months AFTER Scott's death rubbed people the wrong way and those people (many fans on this website) said they were done with STP entirely. My view is that those same people are probably very excited about the new prospects as they are now emerging.
Your statement that you Believe they would be flushing their careers down the toilet if they played under a new name sums up exactly why I won’t support this incarnation.  If they had faith in themselves or their ability to be creative they wouldn’t hesitate to get a new name. Look at velvet revolver, Audioslave, or Chris Cornell solo, these were established artists starting fresh and because they were talented and had something original to say they were able to find repeated success.  Scott Weiland was playing shows at the troubadour with a brand new band.  You hit the nail on the head, they would be flushing their careers down the drain because they aren’t good enough to start a new band successfully.  If you need to ride yesterday‘s victories to stay relevant today it’s time to hang it up.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
The song is fine. Logical extension of self titled. What I think Brendan would bring to the table would be to push them a bit. Each album with him sounded distinct. Self-titled sounded like a logical extension of AoA and this sounds not a lot different from the former, as stated above.

But it’s just one song.

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
Dean, Robert, and Eric are the musical foundation of STP, and while Scott elevated that foundation to insane heights throughout their career, I totally respect their reasons to carry on with the STP name, because without a doubt they are that musical foundation.

With Velvet Revolver you have Scott and another set of members coming together to create something new, with Chris Cornell solo-- same thing can be said.

This is similar to an AC/DC (circa 1980) scenario or a Van Halen (circa 1985-1986) scenario, where it's that musical foundation of original members seeking out a worthy vocalist to move forward with, and I have no problem with that. There will be people who will shun and shake at the prospects of these guys moving forward with the name, but oh well. These guys are powerhouse veterans and top-tier musicians, perhaps even the last of a dying breed, and we need their music now more than ever, especially in the Rock music community.

Congrats again to the guys for finding someone respectable and ready to kick ass.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »
How many releases will they put out before they realize Scott is the reason they had success.

Nobody is debating that Scott was incredibly instrumental in their success - as they were to his, as evidenced by the (lack of) success on their respective non-STP projects.

If they had faith in themselves or their ability to be creative they wouldn’t hesitate to get a new name.

People getting hung up on the name is nothing new, but it's funny how this name business is always a problem when the voice is the odd man out. I rarely hear anyone critical of Filter or Manson or Pumpkins, etc. (Axl is the only one that comes to mind).

But just consider today's music industry - building a band from the ground up is a difficult task.
They fought (and paid handsomely) for the right to use the STP name. I don't fault them for holding their "brand" close to their heart (and wallet).
Not to mention, they tried it with Talk Show and again with AoA (and that was with an established singer), both to no avail.

Lastly, a band's merit should be based on its music, not its name.
So judge their art... for what it is... in a vacuum... without outside variables... and if you still hate it, then that's totally OK.

STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
This is why we can't have nice things.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »
All I can say is I dig the tune and I'm fine with the use of the Stone Temple Pilots name without Scott.

Hope the album is not too far in the future.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »
Dean, Robert, and Eric are the musical foundation of STP, and while Scott elevated that foundation to insane heights throughout their career, I totally respect their reasons to carry on with the STP name, because without a doubt they are that musical foundation.

With Velvet Revolver you have Scott and another set of members coming together to create something new, with Chris Cornell solo-- same thing can be said.

This is similar to an AC/DC (circa 1980) scenario or a Van Halen (circa 1985-1986) scenario, where it's that musical foundation of original members seeking out a worthy vocalist to move forward with, and I have no problem with that. There will be people who will shun and shake at the prospects of these guys moving forward with the name, but oh well. These guys are powerhouse veterans and top-tier musicians, perhaps even the last of a dying breed, and we need their music now more than ever, especially in the Rock music community.

Congrats again to the guys for finding someone respectable and ready to kick ass.
You forgot about the Chester era that fast? How is Chester plus stp different than audioslave

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 11:35:11 PM »
I'm actually very curious where all of those people are who said STP should be ashamed to continue playing music and that they were insulting Scott by moving forward and calling themselves STP. I'm sure those same people who said they were going to discontinue listening to the band are now here commenting, keeping up with the news, and did not hesitate listening to the new single.

I think the biggest hitch with them going on as 'STP' and insulting Scott was because Scott was still alive during that time.  Now that he isn't, I think its easier to mentally start fresh and push the Deleos/Kretz in a positive direction.

Right, but there a lot of people out there criticizing the band still for not starting fresh entirely. I have read comments on Rolling Stone, Billboard and Yahoo that bash the band for not only continuing under the STP name but for also not playing entirely new songs. My take is that these guys shouldn't have to flush their careers down the toilet because of Scott's demons. Their careers are heavily based around their hits and they have every right to play the songs they wrote with whomever they please, especially now that Scott is gone. My comment has to do more with the fact that the search for a new singer 2 months AFTER Scott's death rubbed people the wrong way and those people (many fans on this website) said they were done with STP entirely. My view is that those same people are probably very excited about the new prospects as they are now emerging.

I'm not one of the fans you're talking about, but I only respond to ask what does it matter?!  If they don't think it's a good idea to keep using the STP name in regards to Scott's legacy, a single (successful or not) probably won't change it.  There's a ton going on right now for the STP world.  Why pause your time on enjoying it to setup for an 'I told you so'  ?

All that aside, IMO this is a really good start for them.  And the clips from the other thread of the soundcheck has me really hopeful and wanting to hear more.  Happy the revealing seems to have been successful.

The full stamp of pass/fail will come when we hear the rest of the album they've created, and once they hit the road.  For now though, I think they've pointed themselves in the right direction.

I'm simply reflecting on a somewhat large discussion that was made on this website not too long ago, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing so as threads often get responded to even years later. There were some very long threads and some long discussions and angry fans who wanted nothing to do with STP once they heard hiring a new singer was in order, which is the fan's and band's personal choices. I give credit to people like STPGurl for admitting she was indeed one of those people I was discussing. All I'm saying is that now that "never again" mentality has somewhat vanished and rather quickly. "I told you so" is not my goal here at all.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »

Your statement that you Believe they would be flushing their careers down the toilet if they played under a new name sums up exactly why I won’t support this incarnation.  If they had faith in themselves or their ability to be creative they wouldn’t hesitate to get a new name. Look at velvet revolver, Audioslave, or Chris Cornell solo, these were established artists starting fresh and because they were talented and had something original to say they were able to find repeated success.  Scott Weiland was playing shows at the troubadour with a brand new band.  You hit the nail on the head, they would be flushing their careers down the drain because they aren’t good enough to start a new band successfully.  If you need to ride yesterday‘s victories to stay relevant today it’s time to hang it up.

I absolutely see where you're coming from and part of me agrees. However, if it is a merit issue or a talent issue, rock music is a thing of the past. STP have tried the new band thing before and have failed, so them resorting to recognizable hits is not unheard of or strange to me. STP, new or old, may never become mainstream again and for that reason I can't knock these guys for playing Plush and bringing back some hits with some new stuff sprinkled in. Because I have been a fan for so long , I am glad the band is even still together and am somewhat shocked that they even are. While I would like new songs to pave their way too, this is a younger crowd they are now playing for. The 40 year olds who used to be fans have moved on. Now, it should be their goal to appeal to a younger crowd.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
I’m not sure where I stand in all this, I think the song is okay, not groundbreaking but it exceeded my low expectations (I thought the CheSTP stuff was horrendous). I wish it wasn’t called Stone Temple Pilots but that’s just my personal preference, I realise they have the right to call it that if they want to, I just associate the STP name with Scott and it’s far too late in the game for that to change now. It’s not like Maiden where they switched singers after two albums. I’ve grown up with and listened to and followed STP WITH Scott since ‘93 and that’s just what STP is to me now. It doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the new music though if it sounds good to my ears.
You’ve got to think, how do you think Nirvana fans would’ve felt if in 1996 they reformed with the same name and a different singer or if god forbid Eddie Vedder died now and in 2 years Pearl Jam reunited with a new singer. Do you think all of the hardcore fan base would be cool with that?? The frontman and the voice of the band will always be the hardest thing to replace in a band and will always divide fans.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2017, 12:44:04 AM »
I like it so far.  Guitar reminds me of Army of Anyone.   I think if this is a sign of what is to come the record should be good.  I think I am starting to like the vocals. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:49:46 AM by rocker rockstar »

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2017, 01:22:46 AM »
If STP don't work out for Jeff he can try Linkin Park.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2017, 02:42:43 AM »
When Scott Weiland was alive I had a problem with the other 3 members of STP using the name, but now that he’s permanently gone, I don’t have a problem with it.  I felt that it was more of a slight on the legacy to tour as STP while Weiland was still around.  I also greatly prefer Jeff over Chester so far.  As much as I respect Chester for his 2 years as singer of STP and the hate he must have endured while singing for his favourite band, I feel that Jeff’s voice better suits it.  He sounds almost exactly like Scott on the songs I heard from yesterday.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2017, 03:09:45 AM »
Kind of sounds like a Muse song at first.

Gutt sounds like a cross between Chester and Dave Coutts, with lyrics straight outta the Dave Coutts handbook.

Would have thought this was Talk Show 2.0 if I didn't know any better.

I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, and it's leagues better than anything they put out with Chester, but ehhhh.

They could really use an outside producer. Stuff like when he goes into the head voice/falsetto at the end of the verse lines just doesn't sound good....

Bleeda blooda

The_Bagman

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2017, 03:45:45 AM »
Kind of sounds like a Muse song at first.

Gutt sounds like a cross between Chester and Dave Coutts, with lyrics straight outta the Dave Coutts handbook.

Would have thought this was Talk Show 2.0 if I didn't know any better.

I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, and it's leagues better than anything they put out with Chester, but ehhhh.

They could really use an outside producer. Stuff like when he goes into the head voice/falsetto at the end of the verse lines just doesn't sound good....

I agree they should use an outside producer but i actually like the falsetto, it mixes it up.

I really like the song, I love what Scott did and was but hes gone now.

From what I have heard Jeff's probably up there in whom the Deleos have recorded with. I rate him higher than David Coutts and Chesters output.

Will wait until the album to see if it tops Richard Patricks effort in Army of Anyone.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 03:48:10 AM by The_Bagman »