September 25, 2024, 03:36:17 AM

Author Topic: Meadow - Single  (Read 34898 times)

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Meadow - Single
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
not bad, but it sounds horribly compressed.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »
Like it. Fuck he does sound a lot like Scott though! I think this is going to well at Rock Radio.

pakurt

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
I really like it. The boys are back in town.

Navarre

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
I hear

"With luck in our eyes
And the sins of our souls
We can drink from the fire"

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »
Generic cock rock vocals. Scott could have made something with this music. I’m sure this single won’t do nearly as well as between the lines

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
I'm actually very curious where all of those people are who said STP should be ashamed to continue playing music and that they were insulting Scott by moving forward and calling themselves STP. I'm sure those same people who said they were going to discontinue listening to the band are now here commenting, keeping up with the news, and did not hesitate listening to the new single.

Meh. I’m one of those people. 💁🏼‍♀️
I chose to listen to the single because of morbid curiosity and to see for myself what direction my former favorite band is headed in.
I’ll be the odd woman out and say that I hate it. I think it sounds forced and unoriginal. Don’t care for the new dood’s sound or look. This just isn’t for me.
That being said, I’m glad so many of you are excited about new music or found something that you enjoy. I’m not here to throw a wet blanket on the party or try to force a change of opinion from anybody. Just chiming in with my own $0.02
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »
I'm actually very curious where all of those people are who said STP should be ashamed to continue playing music and that they were insulting Scott by moving forward and calling themselves STP. I'm sure those same people who said they were going to discontinue listening to the band are now here commenting, keeping up with the news, and did not hesitate listening to the new single.

I chose to listen to the single because of morbid curiosity and to see for myself what direction my former favorite band is headed in.
I’ll be the odd woman out and say that I hate it. I think it sounds forced and unoriginal. Don’t care for the new dood’s sound or look. This just isn’t for me.
That being said, I’m glad so many of you are excited about new music or found something that you enjoy. I’m not here to throw a wet blanket on the party or try to force a change of opinion from anybody. Just chiming in with my own $0.02
I second all of this.

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
Okay-- this is one BADASS song. I love the slinky, sexy groove that the DeLeo's have made their own over the course of their career, and Jeff Gutt fits in like a glove-- his voice recalling those elements that Scott Weiland made his own (Bowie, Lennon, Morrison).

While I wish the band would've worked with a producer, this sounds more than fine to my ears, and already a step above the sound of the Self-Titled album and the High Rise EP-- and I believe that has a lot to do with the man they've gotten to mix the new album: Ken Andrews-- who delivered the awesome mix featured on the Army of Anyone album.

Overall, very happy that the guys are back and delivering kick ass Rock 'n' Roll like no one else. This is a breath of fresh air for me, in the stale climate of music (especially Rock) right now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:50:05 PM by coo2 »

Stone Template Pilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »

I kind of agree. I didn't hate it, but it left me certainly feeling MEH. I don't even have much of an issue with Gutt, fair play to the guy, it's the DELEOS work that feels uninspired... what was it they said about Scott on self titled again? ... oh yeah, phoned in.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »

The intro riff has a Muse feel to it.
thought of qotsa myself
I had the midwife naked and alone

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »

I think the biggest hitch with them going on as 'STP' and insulting Scott was because Scott was still alive during that time.  Now that he isn't, I think its easier to mentally start fresh and push the Deleos/Kretz in a positive direction.

Right, but there a lot of people out there criticizing the band still for not starting fresh entirely. I have read comments on Rolling Stone, Billboard and Yahoo that bash the band for not only continuing under the STP name but for also not playing entirely new songs. My take is that these guys shouldn't have to flush their careers down the toilet because of Scott's demons. Their careers are heavily based around their hits and they have every right to play the songs they wrote with whomever they please, especially now that Scott is gone. My comment has to do more with the fact that the search for a new singer 2 months AFTER Scott's death rubbed people the wrong way and those people (many fans on this website) said they were done with STP entirely. My view is that those same people are probably very excited about the new prospects as they are now emerging.

I'm not one of the fans you're talking about, but I only respond to ask what does it matter?!  If they don't think it's a good idea to keep using the STP name in regards to Scott's legacy, a single (successful or not) probably won't change it.  There's a ton going on right now for the STP world.  Why pause your time on enjoying it to setup for an 'I told you so'  ?

All that aside, IMO this is a really good start for them.  And the clips from the other thread of the soundcheck has me really hopeful and wanting to hear more.  Happy the revealing seems to have been successful.

The full stamp of pass/fail will come when we hear the rest of the album they've created, and once they hit the road.  For now though, I think they've pointed themselves in the right direction.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »

I think the biggest hitch with them going on as 'STP' and insulting Scott was because Scott was still alive during that time.  Now that he isn't, I think its easier to mentally start fresh and push the Deleos/Kretz in a positive direction.

Right, but there a lot of people out there criticizing the band still for not starting fresh entirely. I have read comments on Rolling Stone, Billboard and Yahoo that bash the band for not only continuing under the STP name but for also not playing entirely new songs. My take is that these guys shouldn't have to flush their careers down the toilet because of Scott's demons. Their careers are heavily based around their hits and they have every right to play the songs they wrote with whomever they please, especially now that Scott is gone. My comment has to do more with the fact that the search for a new singer 2 months AFTER Scott's death rubbed people the wrong way and those people (many fans on this website) said they were done with STP entirely. My view is that those same people are probably very excited about the new prospects as they are now emerging.

I'm not one of the fans you're talking about, but I only respond to ask what does it matter?!  If they don't think it's a good idea to keep using the STP name in regards to Scott's legacy, a single (successful or not) probably won't change it.  There's a ton going on right now for the STP world.  Why pause your time on enjoying it to setup for an 'I told you so'  ?

All that aside, IMO this is a really good start for them.  And the clips from the other thread of the soundcheck has me really hopeful and wanting to hear more.  Happy the revealing seems to have been successful.

The full stamp of pass/fail will come when we hear the rest of the album they've created, and once they hit the road.  For now though, I think they've pointed themselves in the right direction.
The debut with Chester looked promising and look how high rise flopped

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2017, 09:27:05 PM »
Didn’t skunkyfunk say the track he heard reminded him of Hello Hello? This certainly has that vibe for me (which I dig).

I'm getting that as well.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
How many releases will they put out before they realize Scott is the reason they had success. Even between the lines had huge success and I doubt meadow will come close to matching it. And that’s from what is considered their weakest album by most of you

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
On the first listen the song hasn't jumped out at me, but it isn't bad.  For some reason the first song that popped in my head when I heard the vocals start is Cry Cry from High Rise.  Anyone else hear that or is it just me?