September 25, 2024, 03:35:27 AM

Author Topic: Meadow - Single  (Read 34897 times)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Meadow - Single
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »
Didn’t skunkyfunk say the track he heard reminded him of Hello Hello? This certainly has that vibe for me (which I dig).

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »
Not what I would call an introductory single.
That chorus definitely gives me an Oasis vibe a little...which at times, Talk Show did too.
Upon first listen, can’t say it was love, but it gets better with every listen.

Yeah the Talk Show album definitely had that 90's Brit Indie Rock vibe going on (which was huge at the time) and when it came out I thought it fit in more with bands like Oasis, The Verve & The Seahorses (who I was a fan of) than their grungier contemporaries. 'Meadow' has a similar vibe to it too. It's not the hard rockin' STP but it's a catchy enough alternative rock song, not sure if it will stand the test of time like the classics though. Anyway, I'd rather hear Gutt sing like this than that awful screaming shit he did on his cover of 'Heaven & Hotrods'.

As long as we don't get an album full of 'Meadow's' I'm happy enough with this as the first radio single.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:19:40 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
Its not bad. It has a modern rock feel with 80’s pop undertones. I kinda like it. There are shades of Scott in his voice. Im getting excited sbout the possible heavier songs that will be on this album now. Dude has a good voice. It mesh’s better than Chester or the guy from filter.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
I wasnt sure I liked this song on first listen.  I listened to it once and walked away and found that the melody was already stuck in my head.  I think thats a good sign.  Had two more listens now, and its starting to grow on me.  I'd say my least favorite part of the song is the solo, it just doesnt seem to fit well with the song for me.  I can see this being a good one live though. 

My wife was listening with me the first time and said "I like it, sounds like STP"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:27:27 PM by Aaron »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »
I get more AOA vibes from this than anything else. It's not bad, maybe even a little better than I expected. The music is certainly familiar sonically and the vocals are a bit more creative than I would have expected from a reality show guy. I'm keeping an open mind and excited to hear the album.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
The album will be the real decider for me...

"Let the proof be in the puddin' sugar"
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
Reminds me of Talk Show, insrumentally, vocally and lyrically. Which is good for me, cause I like Talk Show.... but I don't know if it sends the "STP is back" message they want to be sending right now.

I will say that using this as a gauge, it sounds like we have nothing to worry about on Gutt's part. The melody and lyrics perfectly compliment the instrumentation. The vocals are exactly what the song needs.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

CoreurpletinyNo4ShangriY

• I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES! I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES!
  • Pilot
  • I know the questions but I lost the answers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »
As quoted by Rolling Stone, "The new effort, as yet untitled, was produced by the band members themselves and is currently being mixed by Failure's Ken Andrews for a spring 2018 release."

This is fucking awesome, considering Failure is one of my favorite bands.
I also dig the new single! They also seem aware that this song is the "single" of the album due to its nature, just by reading that article.
STP Shows: 9/5/10 - 7/26/11 - 8/6/11 - 9/10/11 - 8/24/12
STP with Chester: 9/6/13 - 4/25/15
Weiland Shows: 11/28/12 - 3/12/13 - 8/14/13 - 9/14/14
- 3/10/15 - 11/28/15

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
I've listened to Meadow 4-5 times now. The whole "well right on" makes me think of the Buckcherry dude. The riff is cool, the tones are great. Vintage STP. Definitely feels like CheSTP/Self Titled music... which isn't my fav, but still better than 99% of rock out there.

I think, overall, Gutt has that punk raspiness that shows up unexpectedly in songs like Scott did, while being about to maintain the deep strong presence otherwise. Vocally it's a much better fit than Chester - so that's a pleasant change. I like the song - it's fun. It's already much better than High Rise for me just based on fit. I also thought the bridge lyrics were an unpredictable and a nice change of pace. One thing about Scott/Chester is I listened to them so much I could anticipate where they were going to go. It's nice to get surprises since I've never really listened to Gutt's original stuff. I'm encouraged. It's a pretty solid song.

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 02:58:33 PM »
The intro riff has a Muse feel to it.
Werd to Big Berd!

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »
Anyone wanna take a stab at the lyrics?

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 03:11:24 PM »
Didn’t skunkyfunk say the track he heard reminded him of Hello Hello? This certainly has that vibe for me (which I dig).

I think Meadow has that Talk Show feel but the song I heard in the audition was a lot funkier and reminds me of 'Hello Hello'.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
I've listened to it a few more times and I'm really liking it.  Has a very Tiny Music/Talk Show era sound.  I really like Jeff's voice compared to Chester's.

It's been 4 years since STP has released a first single off of an album so it will be interesting to see how this song charts.  For comparison, in 2010 the last Scott Weiland STP first single, Between The Lines, peaked at #1 on both the Alternative and Rock charts, peaked at #2 on the Mainstream Rock chart, and peaked at #83 on the Hot 100.  In 2013, the last STP first single, Out Of Time, peaked at #22 on the Alternative chart and peaked at #1 on the Mainstream Rock Chart.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 03:13:07 PM »
I am a fan of Buckcherry but Gutt's inflections have more class. Josh Todd sounds more drug-infused.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
I will say this song grew on me a bit. I never really like Linkin Park so for me, STP with Chester was doomed from the start. Now that some of the news is starting to get out, Pete went into the studio in early 2017, did 4 or 5 tracks with them and then opted out. I wasn't ever made aware of any timeline on this stuff. I knew Pete went in and read tea leaves through things Dean and Robert were smoke screening through the media including It's not Gutt, it's nobody from a TV show, etc etc... I wasn't told that Pete declined - which was likely in March. (So, it's possible there might be an EP's worth of songs where Pete is singing on.) I'm assuming they also have some stuff Borja may have contributed to.

I think it's awesome they are working with Ken Andrews again. He did a great job mixing the Army of Anyone record. I think that thing sounds mint.

I'm not sure Ken did the mixing on this version of Meadow as it doesn't really have his sound. Maybe there will be a new mix of this one on the album when it comes out in 2018. This version sounds a little thin to me.
Take it.