September 24, 2024, 11:21:41 PM

Author Topic: Meadow - Single  (Read 34863 times)

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
Re: Meadow - Single
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2017, 05:58:30 PM »

When I hear the new single, I am still hearing elements of that self-titled era that mashes sounds together with really fast guitar riffs, forcing the singer to jumble words. “Between the Lines” is a great example of this new style I am talking about. We barely understand Scott there and it just seems like a big mess. Listen to that song and then “Wonderful” and you have two completely different bands....

I've noticed this too.  I don't think its the music though causing the jumbling of words, but just the lack of effort Scott seemed to put into his lyrics/melodies on that record.  Either way, I'm glad you noticed that trend on the record as well.  The lyrics sound forced, like he was too stubborn to change the lyrics around the meter of the song so he just spouted off as much as he could before a chorus kicked in.  Outside of STP I think another good example of lyric jumbling is the Arctic Monkeys.  There is less emphasis on well crafted melody and more about just reading a huge slew of lyrics from their poetry book in a sing-songy voice over the music.

I guess I feel like if the guitars and drums are doing one thing, it's very natural for the singer to want to follow that. Therefore, if the music is fast, the singer almost has no choice. I agree Scott himself was a mess at the time of the self-titled, but specifically, the Deleos musically went in a new direction. Songs like "Unglued" and "Trippin'..." do this also. BUT, those songs are still incredible. So, maybe it is a Scott thing. Those 3 minute mash-ups have got to go though as they do not leave the singer much room to work outside of that jumble. Songs like "Black Again" and "Interstate Love Song" are wide open for melody while something like "Between the Lines" almost traps the singer into imitating the guitars. Scott (sometimes) was able to do this though very successfully based on the songs I mentioned. "Trippin'" is a very quick guitar track, but WOW, look what Scott did to it, and live versions of that song give me goosebumps.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2017, 07:46:00 PM »
It feels like STP trying to be STP and capture what they consider to be the "STP sound" rather than pushing the music in a new direction.  Its like STP is covering themselves and making shorter pop songs....

This is exactly what happened to the Chili Peppers.  They recorded By the Way which was a pretty big departure from their 'brand'.  They were getting more artsy with their sound.  Then came Stadium Arcadium (and every release since with Klinghoffer) where it sounds like RHCP is just a band trying to play covers of themselves.

RHCP without Frusciante is similar to STP without Scott.  Not as good.

In saying that I like the new single and looking forward to the new album.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

LaLaGrunge

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • And So I Know
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »
"Meadow" is a good song. Not great. It has a slightly generic, modern rock attitude at times, though it's still vibrant and punchy with a trademark STP melodic path, especially in the chorus. The instrumental performances are top-notch as always with a groove so welcoming amongst a bleeding genre. The DeLeos and Kretz are immortal to less-than-stellar playing. The synth keyboard was a nice touch as well. However, I do have a couple problems.

I don't like the almost inaudible fade-in to the chorus with the line "Yeahh...we're all". It's awkward and protuberant. It just kind of juts in. In my opinion, it's a lazy songwriting/editing lapse heard similarly on sections of the 2010 self-titled album. I think it's evident that the original three members just don't have the producer's finesse and clarity of Brendan O'Brien. Another thing that bothers me - and some some would call this nitpicking and a tired argument, particularly in the digital age - but the over-compressed, hard-limited sound mixing and mastering on this song brings it down. It's mushy, restrained and lacking dynamic range. There's barely any breathing room sonically. It's the same deal with the 2010 self-titled. It's unfortunate that STP treads the same, indistinguishable modern rock ProTools glaze.

Moreover, I'm enjoying the introduction of Jeff Gutt. I think he's proven himself nicely so far. He isn't an emulation of Weiland but more of a reminiscent spark. His tone and phrasing remind me of Scott during Shangri-La Dee Da 2001-2002 era and reunion 2008-2012 era. I'm talking about those thinner, raspier vocals(though, I think this change was inescapable and propelled by Weiland's continued cigarette smoking and drinking during the last ten years of his life). I enjoy Gutt's vocal stylings more than Chester's. He's a better fit for STP with a rounder tone more reminiscent of Scott. This is all promising and I'm looking forward to the new album next spring and seeing them on tour.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:26:18 PM by LaLaGrunge »
Alter Bridge: 10/20/07
Live: 3/15/08
STP: 5/18/08, 5/31/08/Scott Weiland: 1/24/09
Metallica: 1/17/09
The Smithereens: 1/14/14/Sugar Ray-Better Than Ezra-Eve 6: 8/21/15

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2017, 02:01:20 AM »
Excited to hear the rest of the songs.  Meadow was good.  The song is growing on me.  Anyone else hear a little Buckcherry in the voice.  I would say a cross between Buckcherry, Scott, and Chester. 

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2017, 02:33:45 AM »

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2017, 03:16:40 AM »
I think the sonic issues most people are having are due to them heavily using EQ on every track.  Things are really shelved pretty aggressively.

The entire bottom end is missing in all the guitar parts and vocal parts.  Robs bass is louder than most other rock tracks (which is actually quite typical for STP since Rob is so integral to the sound), and certain notes have a bit of a boxy/boomy quality.  The snare drum also has a bit of a boxy vibe to it. 

I've been sifting through the phase and frequency data to isolate certain parts because I'm a dork like that.  If anyone wants to hear any of my experiments I might be goaded into posting them. 

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2017, 05:45:51 AM »
It is a good effort by all indeed.

To me I keep picturing two things fly around when I listen to the track... 'self titled' and 'talk show'... neither I really care for.

I saw comments elsewhere on the interwebs and people are saying "it sounds like purple part 2"... you have got to be kidding me. The dude is doing his best 'scott' that he can, and at moments it's close, but to me I can't listen to those three tracks they did and take it seriously... even if he sounds closer to what scott ever did, how is that supposed to be a good thing?

o well, this wasn't supposed to be negative honestly. I think they truly probably got the best guy available to them... but its a further testament to how versatile Scott really was and it was taken for granted...

good effort by all involved, but it just feels like someone is trying too hard to me... my problem.

takauya

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2017, 06:48:29 AM »
I'm interested in the sound production issue. Why music today sounds so bad? I mean not songs but sound. Is it because of the full digital recording or what they've done in mastering?

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2017, 06:57:40 AM »
I'm interested in the sound production issue. Why music today sounds so bad? I mean not songs but sound. Is it because of the full digital recording or what they've done in mastering?

Really makes you wonder, why a song recorded with today's technology sounds so "flat" compared to something recorded in the 1960s with a live band, on a physical medium, and no digital wizardry to fix or edit mistakes.

There's the whole "loudness war" thing, but that's gotta just be a small part of it. Maybe it's people just don't play & sing as good anymore? Why bother when you can just edit it with an artificial layer of gloss?

Digital recording techniques just don't do it like those magnetic tapes did. Why? It's a mystery.
Bleeda blooda

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
Really makes you wonder, why a song recorded with today's technology sounds so "flat" compared to something recorded in the 1960s with a live band, on a physical medium, and no digital wizardry to fix or edit mistakes.

There's the whole "loudness war" thing, but that's gotta just be a small part of it. Maybe it's people just don't play & sing as good anymore? Why bother when you can just edit it with an artificial layer of gloss?

Digital recording techniques just don't do it like those magnetic tapes did. Why? It's a mystery.
It's not one thing.  It's a little bit of all of these things.  The tools are so powerful and versatile these days that a bit of the magic is sucked out of it simply by making everything too easy (so to speak). 

Hard shelving EQs, "flawless" compressors, depth enhancers, etc.  It's the way the game is played unfortunately. 

And let's not forget when it comes to these guys, they do it all themselves instead of working with an outside producer any more.  Something happens when you're the wizard behind AND in front of the curtain. 

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
I wanted to wait a few days and digest this before I gave an opinion. 

The first few seconds have me going WTF? Those drums certainly do not have a typical STP sound or feel about them. Very mechanical and basic. They sound way too contemporary. I was already bracing myself for complete disappointment. Once the bass guitar kicks in the songs actually started to remind me a little of "Regular John" by QOTSA. This sounded nothing like STP to me. At this point I was like "who is this band and what did they do with STP?" The style and especially the sound of the recording didn't sound a thing like STP...

The prechorus certainly marked a turning point though. It perked my ears and got me interested. Then the chorus came on and soothed my pain. The chorus certainly is catchy and saves this one from sinking. Yes, I do see the comparisons to Gutt and the singer from Jet in the choruses, but it's super catchy, and does at sound a bit more like STP. 

Dean's solo is super short and sounds rather uninspired by his standards on this one.

After the first listen I didn't know what to make of it. It certainly was a new direction, but maybe that was the point; to show everyone they are moving forward. It certainly doesn't have what I call the traditional STP signature "crunch and sparkle" sound to it. This song is way more buzzed out and fuzzy.  Think more Sabbath than Zeppelin....

In the end it took me by surprise and I like it. However, I firmly stand by saying the recording itself sounds way too contemporary.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »
I played this song for a buddy of mine the other day, he’s not a big STP fan but listens to rock & metal, we sat in silence and listened to it together and when it finished he turned to me and said “flowers don’t burn though?”, I said “huh?” and he replied “it says flowers burning in the middle”. I explained it’s actually ‘Meadow’... ya know, the title of the song and I don’t think it mentions flowers either. This, along with what sounds like ‘with cock in our eyes’ is an example of the poor production on the vocals of this song, a lot of the lyrics are hard to decipher. It’s a catchy tune but I hope this isn’t the final mix.

Oh, my friend agreed it’s a catchy track too and liked Jeff’s vocals.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

pakurt

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 19, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »
I played this song for a buddy of mine the other day, he’s not a big STP fan but listens to rock & metal, we sat in silence and listened to it together and when it finished he turned to me and said “flowers don’t burn though?”, I said “huh?” and he replied “it says flowers burning in the middle”. I explained it’s actually ‘Meadow’... ya know, the title of the song and I don’t think it mentions flowers either. This, along with what sounds like ‘with cock in our eyes’ is an example of the poor production on the vocals of this song, a lot of the lyrics are hard to decipher. It’s a catchy tune but I hope this isn’t the final mix.

Oh, my friend agreed it’s a catchy track too and liked Jeff’s vocals.

The lyrics are on Apple Music

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »
In a surprising twist for me on the 6th or 7th listen I have another take on this...

I really don’t like it a ton, but I think Gutt shines the most on the track. I find the music a little jumpy or just not that smooth... don’t know how to explain. The instrumental of the song just doesn’t get me going. The synthesizer sound comes at my ears out of no where. Not a fan of that.

Gutt is a great talent. Truly. I can tell he loves this band.

I think the repetition of the chorus is a little much, just that hook seems to be the main thing the song really has. But that can get old fast. 

If the music was a lot different this could be stronger. Glad everyone is enjoying the track though gutt did good.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:45:37 PM by seattlesound »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »
Wow! There’s already a band on YouTube who have covered this song!
These guys are all young, look like teenagers but they cover a lot of grunge classics from the 90’s, I was surprised to see them cover ‘Meadow’ so quickly though!

https://youtu.be/ETwU7FDouhE
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long