September 28, 2024, 01:14:01 PM

Author Topic: It's official: Jeff Gutt is the new STP singer  (Read 19550 times)

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Jeff Gutt is the new STP singer
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2017, 06:06:29 AM »
When Jeff sings "Will you show me?" in that first verse of Down, he sounds so much like 99-02 Scott, in all his ferocity, it felt like being kicked in the chest. For a moment, my brain forgot that this was NOT Scott I was hearing. Suddenly I'm reminded that Scott is gone, and I feel physical pain. But mixed with that pain and sadness is an excited contentment that STP will continue with someone who will carry on Scott's legacy.
When Jeff sings "Will you show me?" in that first verse of Down, he sounds so much like 99-02 Scott, in all his ferocity, it felt like being kicked in the chest. For a moment, my brain forgot that this was NOT Scott I was hearing. Suddenly I'm reminded that Scott is gone, and I feel physical pain. But mixed with that pain and sadness is an excited contentment that STP will continue with someone who will carry on Scott's legacy.

We as STP fans will never fully get over losing Scott. But we can be thankful that we still have STP and that Scott's legacy was so powerful that the band had many talented singers ready to step in and help them keep moving forward while honoring that legacy.

We as STP fans will never fully get over losing Scott. But we can be thankful that we still have STP and that Scott's legacy was so powerful that the band had many talented singers ready to step in and help them keep moving forward while honoring that legacy.

You nailed it man.

Unreal...here I am..a 32 year old man who jumped on the STP train in 6th grade...just before no.4 came out...and I am sitting at my pc listening to these audio files just how I did years before when Down was leaked and the .com site kept releasing SLDD teasers....unreal.

Also, I miss Scott :/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:08:06 AM by Plushman »

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2017, 06:32:50 AM »
Lots of people can sing like Scott Weiland. But can this Gutt write something that will stand the test of time? Chester Bennington didn't....

Also what the fuck is Meadow?
Bleeda blooda

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2017, 06:36:01 AM »
I'm not all negative, I think he's a great technical singer who obviously has great control over his voice.

But then at the end of the day Scott was never one for hitting all the same notes he sang on his albums, and he always sounded like Scott, even on the songs he covered.
Bleeda blooda

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2017, 06:36:58 AM »
I hope Gutt can bring something besides top-notch karaoke to the table....
Bleeda blooda

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2017, 06:51:40 AM »
I'm optimistic.

The_Bagman

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2017, 06:54:47 AM »
Im sure something will be out tomorrow morning US time as they have done the show and the reveal.

Much like they did with Out of time, something will be hitting radio to back the news up.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2017, 06:56:38 AM »
Sounded good. The marketing is better now, but the whole build up to Meadow makes no sense. At least with Chester, they dropped a single the moment they hit the stage at the Weenie Roast.

Coolest thing that occurred to me listening to that is that Scott had a cameo in those three songs. For those of you who remember, that sample in Coma was actually done by Scott and isn't a guitar--it's his vocals, manipulated.

So Scott was kind of there, which is really cool.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2017, 07:14:36 AM »
Coolest thing that occurred to me listening to that is that Scott had a cameo in those three songs. For those of you who remember, that sample in Coma was actually done by Scott and isn't a guitar--it's his vocals, manipulated.

So Scott was kind of there, which is really cool.

Good catch. Didn't think about that, but that is a nice little touch. Mildly poetic.

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2017, 07:14:48 AM »
Very happy to hear the band again-- in high spirits, with a singer who pays major respect to the one and only Scott Weiland, without it sounding like a total rehash. Very excited for the future of STP-- it's about time.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
Ahhh got my wish!! I was hoping it was going to be Gutt! I listened to his live version of Interstate Love Song earlier tonight before I heard the official news. He has the right voice for the gig!I'm stoked! Ever since I heard his acoustic rendition of Plush I was sold on Gutt! He was able to make it sound solid without having it sound too much like Scott and made it his own! He killed all 3 songs! Solid vocals imo! Haters gonna hate on here. Can't wait to hear the new tunes! Lifelong STP fan! Bring it Gutt!

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
I have already heard "Down" from this show and it sounds damn good! Very authentic!

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
STP flies again!
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2017, 09:46:41 AM »

Audio from the meadow???

I like Gutt...
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »
Pete declined.

You're kidding right? A few weeks ago you explicitly stated you knew for a fact it wasn't Gutt. Crawl back under your rock, you clearly have no connection to the STP camp whatsoever.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
This single, ‘Meadow’ needs to be a lot stronger than ‘Out of Time’ and the other material on ‘High Rise’ for that matter... Let’s hope the Deleo’s have written some interesting tunes.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long