September 25, 2024, 07:33:43 AM

Author Topic: Puzzle piece?  (Read 17511 times)

Stone Template Pilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle piece?
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:21:41 PM by Stone Template Pilot »

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2017, 09:59:40 PM »
I wish Keith Caputo was the new singer . . . Mina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgoJ-J-24e8
Really suits the band

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/04/14/mina-caputo-really-really-really-wants-to-sing-for-stone-temple-pilots/

Something we can agree on.  She has the voice, vibe and mojo.  I think Scott would approve.

Stone Template Pilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
Exactly. As technically good a singer might be, STP need someone with an eccentric vibe...arty. Obviously without the BS attached. Jeff Gutt is a great singer but he seems too CLEAN to me. I want a rock star coming in. Someone with real history.
The original 3 LOA albums are stunning... and HER solo work is superb (really avant-garde in places)

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2017, 11:21:07 PM »
Interesting ideas here with Kieth/Mina that got me thinking. I don't like very many female performers and normally I'd be against a female vocal fronting a band that once had a brilliant male vocal, but I actually don't think I'd mind it with STP. Be a good way to break the mold a bit, start anew, and also give them new territory to explore and experiment with musically. That's exactly what STP needs in my opinion. Hopefully whoever they've got (gender aside) isn't opposed to experimenting and playing around with things, because that's one of the band's most attractive qualities in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:23:22 PM by Down-Plush »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2017, 11:31:36 PM »
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stone-temple-pilots-talk-core-song-by-song-scott-weiland-w505463

"We've been working with someone — I don't want to name names yet — and we're making music," Robert says. "I don't know if he's well known or unknown; I don't look at him as 'well known.' But we're writing music and we're hopefully looking at finishing a record and putting it out soon."

So Mina is ruled out, unless Robert is transphobic.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Stone Template Pilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2017, 12:09:28 AM »
Shame... perfect fit I think

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2017, 02:51:16 AM »
;D Fake news.com

Seriously, I'm super pumped. It's been a weird year and it will be nice to end with a new STP album.
I'll always miss Scott of course, but I'm ready for take 3. I wonder if some kind of tribute will creep into the lyrics.

There is no way its Chris Shinn he barely fit live was awesome in unified theory though

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »
Well it's obviously not Shinn, but I disagree. The Turn is the best thing Live did since The Distance To Here. A great album.

Stone Template Pilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Not to push an agenda, more a personal preference... but listen...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfAFb08Ph_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RfeOZLLb8Y
Has that softer vibe with hard rock...
3 days to go and we find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
We're close!
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »
Looking kinda cool.  Nothing matters though except how they sound
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:56 PM »
Here's a question. They've released each puzzle piece at about 10am EST each day. Will the single be released at that time Tuesday, or will they wait until after the concert that night?
Grab the hate and drown it out...

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2017, 10:24:01 PM »
Here's a question. They've released each puzzle piece at about 10am EST each day. Will the single be released at that time Tuesday, or will they wait until after the concert that night?

Did we comfirm Meadow is a single? I guess it could be the title of an album, no? Either way, its crazy to think new material from STP is actually on the horizon.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »

Either way, its crazy to think new material from STP is actually on the horizon.

Who would have ever thought when the self titled was released, it would be more than 7 years until their next record, and Scott would be dead? Wasn't on my radar in 2010.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2017, 03:40:22 AM »
Either way, its crazy to think new material from STP is actually on the horizon.

Who would have ever thought when the self titled was released, it would be more than 7 years until their next record, and Scott would be dead? Wasn't on my radar in 2010.

It is crazy. I am excited for the sheer prospect of new material from STP. I'm genuinely optimistic that the new singer will be a good fit, but my expectations are heavily tempered.

My personal ranking of STP's releases goes something like this:
1. Purple
2. Core
3. SLDD
4. Tiny Music
5. No. 4
6. High Rise
7. S/T

I'm expecting this new material to be somewhere between #5 - #7. I don't think it will be any better than the original five albums with Scott, but I do think it will be at least as good as S/T, probably better -- simply because what I perceive as bringing that album down was Scott's lack of passion for the project. (Not that it was a "bad" album by any stretch -- just not up to STP's standards imo.)

Whether it will be better than High Rise is the question for me. I loved Chester's talent, personality, work ethic, and genuine love for the band, but while the five songs were well-crafted, I didn't feel like they were the same STP. It truly felt like Stone Temple Pilots... featuring Chester Bennington. That's not Chester's fault. He did an exceptionally admirable job during his stint in STP, and I probably would have been happy were he still with us and still in the band. But something was still missing. Maybe it was the fuller baritone range or just the dysfunction I had become so accustomed to.

They are obviously going all-in this time with their new singer, so we will have to see how well the new guy fits -- how well his vocals mesh with the band, how good his vocal-writing chops are, how the chemistry is on stage, etc.

I'm excited, but I'm guarded. I don't want to get my hopes up too much this time. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised that the guy they picked is really a great fit and the new music is really special.