September 25, 2024, 03:28:45 AM

Author Topic: 2017-11-14 - The Troubadour, Hollywood  (Read 13238 times)

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-11-14 - The Troubadour, Hollywood
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
This is exactly what the greedy DeLeos wanted... a puppet to play karaoke with.

1. Gutt genuinely did sound good on some songs, but his Scott impersonation style sounded like shit on others  including ILS and STT. He's good with the harder stuff, but has zero range compared to Scott or even Chester. Gutt clearly is a talented vocalist, but trying to impersonate Scott and make the songs his own is an awful combo. Wonder how much input Gutt has in the song choices, and writing of future material.

2. Meadow was bad... Like a b-side on a DeLeo side project BAD.  Then again, the DeLeos can't write, and could never put together a decent good song without Scott.  Chester wasn't the best song writer, but after hearing this, it really puts things into perspective. No wonder Chester ditched them.

Hot take theater.

The Deleos can't write.  Lol.

Did I forget any of the classics they wrote without Scott? 

Perhaps you can help me out and post some of the great songs they wrote the lyrics for without Scott?

Or maybe as a bonus, you could share all the amazing songs & albums they produced themselves............?

Look, I was a fan of theirs for over 20 years. I never said they weren't amazing musicians. They created the music behind some of my favorite songs of all time. Unfortunately that was all a long time ago.

Also, in my opinion everything Scott Weiland created that I consider worth anything was a long time ago.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 07:14:07 PM »
I think too many folks here hold Scott up to the Messiah Complex.  It's fair to mention that on their best selling record that Eric co-wrote the lyrics to Plush and Robert helped on the lyrics to Creep.  It may be also fair to mention that Scott is only as good as the musicians he is with.  He only saw true success with STP and Velvet Revolver.  I would speculate that much of VR's success had to do with their previous successes of STP/GnR.  If they didn't have that name power going in with industry connections I doubt VR would be as successful.  Scott without these players had minimal success as a solo artist where, by your definitions, he should have shined because apparently he was the guiding light for everyone.  Without STP or huge names like Slash behind him, Scott is about as good as a half empty theatre, as we saw before he died.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 08:00:15 PM »
Some Pro-Shot footage courtesy of Sirius's YouTube page:

Still Remains

Meadow

Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2017, 08:21:42 PM »

Did I forget any of the classics they wrote without Scott? 

Perhaps you can help me out and post some of the great songs they wrote the lyrics for without Scott?

Or maybe as a bonus, you could share all the amazing songs & albums they produced themselves............?

All of the AOA album, but those weren't mega popular, if popularity is what you're after check out Justin Bieber.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
I thought JG renditions of the songs were solid.  He looks like Scott, thin, bleached hair (rolling rock), some tattoos.  He's strong enough to get them out playing. Festivals, Maybe open for some classic rock acts.  I thought Meadow was OK didn't really have high expectations.  Did remind me of Talk Show, though, at first listen. 

I'm glad the guys have decided to move forward with what appears to be a solid vocalist.  Good luck to them. 

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2017, 08:41:37 PM »
impressed by his presence and movement on stage. Was expecting him to be awkward based on Dry Cell stuff but he's not at all. Clearly he's grown a lot.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »
STP really nailed it with this guy he has elements of Scott while still being who he is. Great performer focused on the music. Hope the album is more daring than Meadow but Meadow is really adictive definitely the right track for radio. I am really wondering what the ballads will sound like on the album when his voice is front and center.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2017, 10:21:16 PM »

Oh, you were talking about lyrics.  Yea, I'm fine with that claim, but saying they can't write music is ridiculous.

Yes, mostly lyrics, but melodies and composition too. While the DeLeos were amazing at creating music, Scott was able to elevate that music and get the best out of them.  I enjoyed Talk Show and AoA, but even their best songs felt like discarded STP tracks.

Also could have been Brendan O'Brien's input as well.  Their best music came from time spent with Scott and/or Brendan O'Brien. Musically they weren't the same with other producers, and producing their own STP album was a disaster.

Also, in my opinion everything Scott Weiland created that I consider worth anything was a long time ago.

That's fair, to each their own.  But I do listen to Scott's solo stuff, VR, and even the occasional Blaster song more than the few decent songs from AoA and Talk Show combined. Again, to each their own.

I think too many folks here hold Scott up to the Messiah Complex.  It's fair to mention that on their best selling record that Eric co-wrote the lyrics to Plush and Robert helped on the lyrics to Creep.  It may be also fair to mention that Scott is only as good as the musicians he is with.  He only saw true success with STP and Velvet Revolver.  I would speculate that much of VR's success had to do with their previous successes of STP/GnR.  If they didn't have that name power going in with industry connections I doubt VR would be as successful.  Scott without these players had minimal success as a solo artist where, by your definitions, he should have shined because apparently he was the guiding light for everyone.  Without STP or huge names like Slash behind him, Scott is about as good as a half empty theatre, as we saw before he died.

GnR was a massive band. It was less about STP's "name power", and more about the music they put out.  Speculate all you want, but STP & VR were two massive rock bands and it would be foolish to deny the one thing they had in common.  If you're speculating things based on "name power", then how come the Deleo's & Eric could never capitalize on STP's?

The DeLeos failed twice without Scott (three times if you count Chester), and now rather than starting a new band and letting the music speak for itself, they're trying to capitalize on STP's name power one last time as a nostalgia act.

If 'Meadow' is any indication of the future of "STP", then get ready for more failure.

All of the AOA album, but those weren't mega popular, if popularity is what you're after check out Justin Bieber.

I don't know any Justin Bieber songs, but I wouldn't be surprised if he hires better song writers than the DeLeos. 

AoA's 'Goodbye' is a good example of what I mean.

The music is good (typical DeLeos side project sound), but would have been better under a different producer, and the words could have been written by a child (instead it took Robert, Dean, AND Patrick to write that.). 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2017, 12:42:28 AM »
Some Pro-Shot footage courtesy of Sirius's YouTube page:

Still Remains

Meadow

Surprised no ones really talking about these pro shot videos. I enjoyed the live version of ‘Meadow’, the performance of ‘Still Remains’ not so much, it’s one of my fav STP songs but that performance didn’t really do it for me, I know it’s not 1994 anymore but when you compare it to this it just sounds kinda slow & weak - https://youtu.be/qTCeoWtG3Yw

Also, does that live version of ‘Meadow’ have some pre recorded vocals?! That first line of the pre chorus “and we’re allll” no ones mouth is near a mic?!

Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2017, 12:44:31 AM »
They must do the little pre-recorded blip for performance sake , otherwise it may sound awkward for him to sing those 2 lines together since they bleed into each other?

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2017, 12:51:40 AM »
Speaking of Still Remains from 1994, I came upon this little gem recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXC1zWY1JQ

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2017, 07:21:12 AM »
Speaking of Still Remains from 1994, I came upon this little gem recently

WOW! That was truly a classic STP gem! Never seen that clip before! Nice to be able to see a new singer do a 2017 version with the 1994 version. Not much different in my opinion! Awesome!

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »
I do not think its that necessary to break down all the lottle things that JG did or didn't do. I'm very happy with the outcome of the new singer. As I've stated before when I first saw Gutt sing Plush acoustic, I was automatically sold on him and that was many months ago! He's got a solid voice! If you have any doubts just look back at the X Factor show and see his awesome vocals and variety! He's got a good future with STP! He's his own man! Rock on Gutt!!

8)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »
Speaking of Still Remains from 1994, I came upon this little gem recently

WOW! That was truly a classic STP gem! Never seen that clip before! Nice to be able to see a new singer do a 2017 version with the 1994 version. Not much different in my opinion! Awesome!

Not sure why Scott wearing denim on stage looks odd lol

"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2017, 05:46:15 PM »
Speaking of Still Remains from 1994, I came upon this little gem recently:

Awesome!!!!
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."