September 25, 2024, 03:40:24 AM

Author Topic: 2017-11-14 - The Troubadour, Hollywood  (Read 13241 times)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-11-14 - The Troubadour, Hollywood
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2017, 11:03:58 PM »
It's on Youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlUPqzsRA1Q

Beat me to it! I just listened to it on there, he sounds great on most of the songs but a little flat on a few. Plus when he was singing ‘Trippin’ all I could think of was Scott’s moves on the rolling rock version, I hope this guy moves about a bit.

I’ve said it before but he is a MUCH better fit than Chester was.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2017, 01:43:08 AM »
FLAC & MP3: https://we.tl/nFmP59Jnkq

(link is good for 1 week)

Stone Temple Pilots
November 14, 2017
Troubadour; West Hollywood, CA

Source: SiriusXM stream>Sony PCM-M10 @ 24-bit/44.1kHz
Transfer: Sony PCM-M10 @ 24-bit/44.1kHz>Audacity (amplify/dither/track)>FLAC16
Taper: lowlight10

01 Down
02 Wicked Garden
15 -thank you-
16 Piece of Pie

Notes: Entire file amplified by +2.3dB. First performance with Jeff Gutt.

Did you set your player to the highest quality? There are 3 quality settings.

lowlight10

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2017, 05:59:49 PM »
Did you set your player to the highest quality? There are 3 quality settings.

No. Had no idea. I signed up for a trial just to record this.

It looks like there is a re-broadcast today. I'll try to grab it in "maximum" quality.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
Some songs are stronger than others, obviously, but he did a really good job. Still Remains in particular was really good, that's a favorite of mine and he did not disappoint me on that one. I'd put that right up there with the quality of the first songs we heard him do, if not better. Wicked Garden probably needs some work and while it didn't sound bad, something was missing from Interstate Love Song too. I do hope they eventually tackle some of the lighter STP fare, would love to hear his approach to Atlanta.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:27:32 PM by Down-Plush »

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
This is exactly what the greedy DeLeos wanted... a puppet to play karaoke with.

1. Gutt genuinely did sound good on some songs, but his Scott impersonation style sounded like shit on others  including ILS and STT. He's good with the harder stuff, but has zero range compared to Scott or even Chester. Gutt clearly is a talented vocalist, but trying to impersonate Scott and make the songs his own is an awful combo. Wonder how much input Gutt has in the song choices, and writing of future material.

2. Meadow was bad... Like a b-side on a DeLeo side project BAD.  Then again, the DeLeos can't write, and could never put together a decent good song without Scott.  Chester wasn't the best song writer, but after hearing this, it really puts things into perspective. No wonder Chester ditched them.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2017, 04:58:48 AM »
I loved the little thing they did before Big Empty. It set the tone perfectly going into that song.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2017, 07:21:26 AM »
I loved the little thing they did before Big Empty. It set the tone perfectly going into that song.

they've been doing that since 2011 or so. They used to do a similar sorta thing before Still Remains.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »
I'm surprised there hasn't been more press with the band since the gig.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2017, 12:45:43 PM »

1. Gutt genuinely did sound good on some songs, but his Scott impersonation style sounded like shit on others  including ILS and STT. He's good with the harder stuff, but has zero range compared to Scott or even Chester. Gutt clearly is a talented vocalist, but trying to impersonate Scott and make the songs his own is an awful combo. Wonder how much input Gutt has in the song choices, and writing of future material.

2. Meadow was bad... Like a b-side on a DeLeo side project BAD.  Then again, the DeLeos can't write, and could never put together a decent good song without Scott.  Chester wasn't the best song writer, but after hearing this, it really puts things into perspective. No wonder Chester ditched them.
+1

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »

Hot take theater.

The Deleos can't write.  Lol.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2017, 06:38:22 PM »

Hot take theater.

It’s been over 7 years since they wrote something good

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 06:56:36 PM »

Hot take theater.

Did I forget any of the classics they wrote without Scott? 

Perhaps you can help me out and post some of the great songs they wrote the lyrics for without Scott?

Or maybe as a bonus, you could share all the amazing songs & albums they produced themselves............?

Look, I was a fan of theirs for over 20 years. I never said they weren't amazing musicians. They created the music behind some of my favorite songs of all time. Unfortunately that was all a long time ago. 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 07:07:40 PM »

Hot take theater.

Did I forget any of the classics they wrote without Scott? 

Perhaps you can help me out and post some of the great songs they wrote the lyrics for without Scott?

Or maybe as a bonus, you could share all the amazing songs & albums they produced themselves............?

Look, I was a fan of theirs for over 20 years. I never said they weren't amazing musicians. They created the music behind some of my favorite songs of all time. Unfortunately that was all a long time ago.

Oh, you were talking about lyrics.  Yea, I'm fine with that claim, but saying they can't write music is ridiculous.

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

pakurt

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 07:10:06 PM »