September 24, 2024, 11:32:52 PM

Author Topic: 2017-11-14 - The Troubadour, Hollywood  (Read 13234 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2017-11-14 - The Troubadour, Hollywood
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
Speaking of Still Remains from 1994, I came upon this little gem recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXC1zWY1JQ

WOW! That was truly a classic STP gem! Never seen that clip before! Nice to be able to see a new singer do a 2017 version with the 1994 version. Not much different in my opinion! Awesome!

Honestly, I would pay good money to see them play Purple cover-to-cover for its 25th anniversary in a year and a half.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2017, 05:43:57 AM »

Honestly, I would pay good money to see them play Purple cover-to-cover for its 25th anniversary in a year and a half.

Same. I would pay good money to hear them play any of their albums in full. Weezer used to do that, not sure if they do anymore or not.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2017, 02:57:26 PM »
Speaking of Still Remains from 1994, I came upon this little gem recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPXC1zWY1JQ

WOW! That was truly a classic STP gem! Never seen that clip before! Nice to be able to see a new singer do a 2017 version with the 1994 version. Not much different in my opinion! Awesome!

This would be a great thing for STP to do.  Ever since I saw Primus do this sort of thing I realized it has all sorts of perks.   They started the night playing a set of their regular hits, then they did an album in its entirety (one tour it was Frizzle Fry, the other Sailin' Seas)

1. The perk of showcasing a hit record in its entirety.  A draw and marketing thing.
2. You keep hardcore fans happy because they can hear a bunch of the songs that repeatedly get ignored on normal tours.
3. You keep casual fans happy because they get to hear hits from the album being played in its entirety plus the hits from the 'hits' set.

Probably too soon to do this with their new record coming out, but definitely for the Purple celebration.  Now that they have a singer who can actually do some justice to every song this looks more plausible.

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
Some Pro-Shot footage courtesy of Sirius's YouTube page:

Still Remains

Meadow

These are pretty good to my mind. "Still Remains" has a very Scott feeling.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2017, 12:23:11 AM »
I'm listening to the live show right now and have got to say that Gutt sounds very bad when paired up with Robert. When they are singing together something sounds way off. Scott and Robert seemed like a natural fit, but this sounds pretty bad in my view. Interstate especially and Vasoline have stood out so far. Anyone else feel this way?

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2017, 01:29:20 AM »
Agreed to a certain extent. However, I think since Scott has left the band, that Rob has literally turned up the volume on his mic at shows. His voice is much more prevalent now than it was in the past. It really stood out to me when Chester joined.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »
Should we be worried about how quiet the band has been since the gig?
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
Seems like normal bad STP planning to me. They had the timing right with Core anniversary and then launching Gutt as the new singer. But they should have had some sort of promotional tour or something as a bridge for when the album comes out.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
No tour or album until April.  So a long boring STP winter ahead.  Best we get is Roberts twitter which its activity is mostly waiting for another celebrity to die to see his comments on it.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
No tour or album until April.  So a long boring STP winter ahead.  Best we get is Roberts twitter which its activity is mostly waiting for another celebrity to die to see his comments on it.

Your concerns were about a month off :)