September 24, 2024, 11:28:56 PM

Author Topic: STP has found new singer that "fits the bill"  (Read 23333 times)

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
Re: STP has found new singer that "fits the bill"
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 03:15:33 PM »
I don't think he sounds a thing like Scott and there were tons of other singers that were better. He just got himself put into the news. If it was in the news it must be true right?
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »
I *really* hope it's not Borja.  He would provide the most Scott-sounding option, but that's precisely why I don't want them to pick him.  I watched that documentary on Journey and Arnel Pineda, and Borja reminds me of Pineda - immensely talented singer, but essentially more of a vocalist impressionist than a actual frontman.  Pineda sings *exactly* like Steve Perry, and while it's admirable to be able to do that, it's something for a nostalgia band to do, not a band still looking to move forward artistically.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are probably hearing things very differently than how they are in real life.

1) Arnel Pineda does NOT sing exactly like Perry.  Perry has some Sam Cooke impressions that is nowhere to be found in Pineda.  (And it is ironic if you ask me if you are blasting on Pineda for being a Perry impressionist when Perry himself admits to be heavily inluenced by Sam Cooke).
2) JOURNEY WAS PRACTICALLY DEAD before Pineda came into the picture.  They have tried Augeri and Soto and did not have the same success as with Pineda, for the last 9 years... filling stadiums and being one of the highest grossing acts in the past 9 years.  Pineda deserves the respect for this feat alone.

3) Pineda deserves every inch of respect as a singer if you knew what he had gone through before he achieved his dreams (and $750M net worth) from being a scavenger.
4) Pineda has his own voice, but just fits Journey and many will agree.
------------------

Regarding Borja:

1)  He IS NOT a Weiland Clone.  Yes he does sing in a rock band doing covers 4-5x a week, prolly 40 songs a night for a measly $20 a night.  That is a step up from his measly $8 per night shows. That is his source of living but...
2)  He has been in MANY original music bands, INCLUDING METAL BANDS.  This alone puts him in a different light and gives an additional palette for STP should they go heavier.
3)  He also has a balladeer background.  In his much earlier years (pre-teens and early teens), he had won singing contests for cheapass money singing the likes of James Ingram and those cheesey 80s music. 
4)  HE COMPOSES DIFFERENTLY but is more of a collaborator.  (This I can discuss further if you are truly interested)
5)  BORJA can do EVERYTHING STP can ask him to do, musically.  Soft music? Go. Catalog? go. Heavy music? Go.

I just wish when we saw that Delta Deep Show last year at the Coach House, John showed himself sitting in the audience.  We were at the farthest part from the stage. When we had the chance to meet Rob at the parking lot after the show (hence the photos) Rob said if he only knew John was in the audience, he would ask him to join up on stage and do a jam.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:27:03 PM by skunkyfunk »

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »
I don't think he sounds a thing like Scott and there were tons of other singers that were better. He just got himself put into the news. If it was in the news it must be true right?

If you think Mick Blankenship was a better singer then you are entitled to that. I saw him as a bigger competitor than most of the other mentioned in the news as well. Still wondering why he did not get the call to do a live audition though.

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 03:36:26 PM »
BTW, there is absolutely no way Borja could have made it to the news other than catching many people's attention.   If that is not success in itself then I do not know what success is for a singer or musician (and this is no autotune baby you are talking about).

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »
I *really* hope it's not Borja.  He would provide the most Scott-sounding option, but that's precisely why I don't want them to pick him.  I watched that documentary on Journey and Arnel Pineda, and Borja reminds me of Pineda - immensely talented singer, but essentially more of a vocalist impressionist than a actual frontman.  Pineda sings *exactly* like Steve Perry, and while it's admirable to be able to do that, it's something for a nostalgia band to do, not a band still looking to move forward artistically.

1) Arnel Pineda does NOT sing exactly like Perry.  Perry has some Sam Cooke impressions that is nowhere to be found in Pineda.  (And it is ironic if you ask me if you are blasting on Pineda for being a Perry impressionist when Perry himself admits to be heavily inluenced by Sam Cooke).

3) Pineda deserves every inch of respect as a singer if you knew what he had gone through before he achieved his dreams (and $750M net worth) from being a scavenger.

I was under the impression they chose Pineda because he did sound exactly like Perry, for the sake of performing those songs live.  In fact, I could barely tell the difference when I first heard the live clips of him as the new singer.  Maybe Pineda's original songs with the band might sound different.

Arnel is not worth $750 million, hes only worth $15 million ( https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/arnel-pineda-net-worth/ )

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »
And you don't earn 3/4 Billion Dollars singing for fucking Journey, that's for sure!

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »

I was under the impression they chose Pineda because he did sound exactly like Perry, for the sake of performing those songs live.  In fact, I could barely tell the difference when I first heard the live clips of him as the new singer.  Maybe Pineda's original songs with the band might sound different.

Arnel is not worth $750 million, hes only worth $15 million ( https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/rock-stars/arnel-pineda-net-worth/ )

My bad, I meant 750 MILLION PHILIPPINE PESOS (1US$  ~51php) Sorry for the mistake.  Yup I was thinking in pesos but forgot to write in US $ equivalent.

I stand corrected. ($15M is still huge for a Filipino entertainer)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 08:23:55 PM »
That's mucho dinero for anyone!

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:37 PM »
I wasn't shittin' on your boy Skunkman. He had a unique approach to his submissions and it captured the media's attention and it snowballed from there. It happened to others too but, John was savvy enough to work it in his favor. And people love to root for the underdog or to see someone get a piece of the dream. I didn't say Johnny boy sucked. In fact, he is good on his videos. I wasn't stabbing at you or John, though you are purposefully cryptic here because you know that a lot of stories are pulled from speculation and rumor off of this site. It's smart, if that is your goal. Especially when "clickbait is the name of the game", these days. I was stabbing at the mentality of humans in general that are CONDITIONED to believe what they see and hear instead of questioning it and doing their own research. Look what is happening in America and the world right now over the same kind of shit. It is okay to have an opinion of your own, even if it is a dissenting opinion. It is right, true and fair to do so. I liked Mick's submission's at one point and he has a good voice and my opinion changes often, as I am going through the submissions myself and listening to each one that I have access to. But, it is my opinion and I am not forcing it on anyone. I was raised on Rock N' Roll like mothers' milk and I am a fan of Rock N' Roll from it's roots to the top of the tree. It is what I do and it is me. I am pulling for whoever they pick to front this band because they have their work cut out for them and will need support from real STP fans and it isn't going to be easy. And I am anxious to hear new music from the DeLeo boys and Mr. Kretz again. I love this band! I know you got a lot invested but, maybe don't take it so personally? It's just my opinion and it doesn't matter to anyone but, me. I had friends and family behind me doing some of things you are. They even posted dumb shit that they thought I should say about it under my screenname on STP sites, to show loyalty to my city. Well, my city don't care. I know where i come from. Rabid supporters! However misguided, they had good intentions. My fault for leaving everything logged in. I get it. LOL! No hard feelings here.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:49:57 PM by HUTEYE »
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
I'm assuming that the band will go by "Stone Temple Pilots" when they announce their new singer, but what's everyone's thoughts about them going forward with a name ala "featuring Chester Bennington"? Granted, Chester was a name on his own and they probably did it because of legalities at the time, but does that make a difference in the marketing?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:40 PM »
Dean already said they didn't pick their singer from the submissions, that rules out Borja. On the other hand neither Pete Murray nor Jeff Gutt appear to have been part of submissions, so it's either one of them or someone we haven't hear about.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 11:46:05 PM »
I'm assuming that the band will go by "Stone Temple Pilots" when they announce their new singer, but what's everyone's thoughts about them going forward with a name ala "featuring Chester Bennington"? Granted, Chester was a name on his own and they probably did it because of legalities at the time, but does that make a difference in the marketing?

I'm 98% sure they will go by just "Stone Temple Pilots". If the singer they picked was someone on the level of fame as Chester, then they might have started out with "featuring [singer]", however they have already said they don't consider the guy they picked to be famous. So in my mind, there's no chance they do that. It's going to be just Stone Temple Pilots.

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2017, 01:00:11 AM »
Dean already said they didn't pick their singer from the submissions, that rules out Borja. On the other hand neither Pete Murray nor Jeff Gutt appear to have been part of submissions, so it's either one of them or someone we haven't hear about.

What exactly does he mean by singer submissions?

I understand that some people who got a callback were given a chance to send in requested material. I dunno if that meant STP may consider choosing someone who merely does the auditions virtually (online) aside from those who make it in person.
This brings me to the question: when a singer makes a personal appearance, does he automatically not become a "singer submission" candidate? Because being a live auditionee and singer submission candidate are not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, are you excited? Stay put.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:08:30 AM by skunkyfunk »

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 01:10:28 AM »
The All New STP

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2017, 01:24:57 AM »

What exactly does he mean by singer submissions?

I understand that some people who got a callback were given a chance to send in requested material. I dunno if that meant STP may consider choosing someone who merely does the auditions virtually (online) aside from those who make it in person.
This brings me to the question: when a singer makes a personal appearance, does he automatically not become a "singer submission" candidate? Because being a live auditionee and singer submission candidate are not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, are you excited? Stay put.

Dean DeLeo said this:

"There was some criteria that had to be met to send an audition and if people followed it correctly we asked for them to kindly sing on two songs and send some of their original material and some photos, video, whatever they can send us. If they did send it all, it was a process to go through one audition[...] That was quite an event but needless to say we did not find anybody in all the submissions."

So there you go. Borja doesn't magically change from a 'singer submission' candidate because they played with him in person... They played with several people in person, but never found 'the guy' through the online process. Sorry.
Grab the hate and drown it out...