September 25, 2024, 03:30:21 AM

Author Topic: STP has found new singer that "fits the bill"  (Read 23360 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP has found new singer that "fits the bill"
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 08:37:50 PM »
God I hope not. No disrespect to this cat but he doesn't have any deep growl like Gutt or Borja. I think its needed for STP's best songs that are off Core and Purple. Just an opinion

For what it's worth, no other singer they've chosen (Coutts, Patrick, Bennington) has had that "Core" voice.
If Pete IS the choice, I actually feel much better about it than either of the other aforementioned names.
That's just me.

Also, this is all just conjecture until it isn't. But it's fun to discuss.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »
Pete seems to have a similar range as Chester, which works for me if he is indeed the choice. I wonder what kind of stage presence he has.  All I can find for live footage of him is acoustic where he's sitting on a stool.

Edit - nevermind, found footage...

https://youtu.be/6YJIu7aweDI
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:53:37 PM by kretzl »

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 01:02:56 AM »
Pete Murray's drummer in White Noise Owl, Will Hunt, drummed for Jeff Gutt in Rival City Heights.

Which means it's possible Geno Lenardo knows him...

God I hope not. No disrespect to this cat but he doesn't have any deep growl like Gutt or Borja. I think its needed for STP's best songs that are off Core and Purple. Just an opinion

Scott pretty much dropped his "low voice" for everything off of Core and Purple in 2000. Maybe it's a little unfair to hold a new singer to a higher standard than Scott at his absolute best as a singer. Just saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY9s989TXGA
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:05:08 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 02:09:11 AM »
Pete Murray's drummer in White Noise Owl, Will Hunt, drummed for Jeff Gutt in Rival City Heights.

Which means it's possible Geno Lenardo knows him...

That was going to be my next question.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 03:14:58 AM »
Forget the 'Core' voice. They aren't going for that sound. Scott didn't sing like that for most of their career. Pretty much after 1994 or 1995 he abandoned it and after Tiny Music, it was almost gone altogether. If it is Pete, the guy can sing. He's got really great vocals and he's fairly well known in the industry as being a pretty top notch human being too - which no disrespect to Scott, Dave, Chester or Richard - the other guys in STP need something to go their way. If this guy can craft his own songs, sing the back catalog in a way that even Chester could, and he's willing to hit the road with them and play shows then why not?

I can't tell you what any of the back catalog will sound like but I can assure you any new stuff is going to fucking rock. Lo-Pro, Life on Planet 9, White Noise Owl and even as far back as Ultraspank, that guy can sing.

There are some fairly odd connections to him with the band and who they all mutually know. His newest band, White Noise Owl with Will Hunt were quiet and then fairly active once their record was done and they started doing some promo for it and then right around the time STP went quiet, so did White Noise Owl. White Noise is still quiet. They dropped a song from their upcoming disc, then vanished and it seems like all promo for them has stopped. Wouldn't it though if Pete had a chance to front STP for a bit? I don't see White Noise Owl doing massive tours. They probably planned on releasing a record and doing a small tour and then being done. They can still do that but to fit with STP's schedule now, Pete needed to take a break from them. Just seems like it fits all too well right now.

Some of the comments they have made the past couple weeks also seem that they could be describing Pete.
Take it.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 08:46:08 AM »
I never heard of the guy before yesterday, but if it is him, I will feel very positive about the choice. He seems to be a real pro, and I've liked everything I've heard from him so far.

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »
His voice reminds me of Aaron Lewis of Staind.  Like, almost a clone of him.  It would be easy to write new material with STP given ANY singer with that timbre, BUT, that simply means veering away from their legacy material, which I think, is also a major consideration if you want to move forward, business-wise and art-wise. 

Another question is, when was Murray in contact with the group? Was it earlier than the singer submissions or later?

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »

Another question is, when was Murray in contact with the group? Was it earlier than the singer submissions or later?

You keep bringing that up as though the Deleos were under some obligation to pick from the demos. It doesn't matter if they met the guy before or after.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
I'm confused with Skunk.  One moment he hints that Borja is the singer and leaves cryptic comments like "just wait for the story to unfold...."  and a moment later he's showing doubt that Borja even had a chance because they picked a singer before the submission contest.

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 02:11:36 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. It was an honest query.

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 02:12:46 PM »
I knew all along there is some sort of unfolding that was bound to happen. For now I cannot really make a comment more than what I said/am saying.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:26:12 PM by skunkyfunk »

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
I knew all along there is some sort of unfolding that was bound to happen.

Wouldn't you say it was inevitable anyway? It's like putting meat on a grill and saying "I knew all along something was going to get cooked!". Of course something is going to unfold in a singer search.  Anywho, I'm just messing with ya, best of luck.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 02:38:38 PM »
For now I cannot really make a comment more than what I said/am saying.

Becasue you don't know any more than you are saying...

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 02:40:47 PM »
I am gonna borrow a few words from Brett. They will be revealed later on. Then I can talk about this open heartedly I swear.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »
This Pete dude has a great voice, for sure. I hear a bit of Daughtry vibe with this guy, which I'm not a fan of, however. With STP's more classic rock style, they may put out something good, though. I guess we'll see.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:44:53 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy