September 24, 2024, 11:25:40 PM

Author Topic: STP has found new singer that "fits the bill"  (Read 23331 times)

Hr308

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: STP has found new singer that "fits the bill"
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »

Oh i see. Damn i was seriously getting the sweats. It's like Pat Boone was making a reoccurence.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2017, 07:43:11 PM »
Just to clarify.
THIS is the Pete Murray that is rumored.
https://youtu.be/Fqd_qUKDbQU
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Rol2292

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
As of a month ago White Noise Owl was working on an album. Any chance this isn't the guy?
Werd to Big Berd!

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 12:46:32 AM »
Sure there's a chance.

However, if STP calls, I'd think you have to at least entertain the idea, right?

Maybe he went to his band and said, I got this thing - "STP called and they want me to tryout. What are your thoughts?" I'd like to think his current band was supportive enough to say "Go for it man. It's a good opportunity." If nothing else, it's more press for White Noise Owl, right?

I mean, White Noise Owl will not going to be going on a huge tour I wouldn't think. They're a small time operation so why can't Pete do both? Chester did Linkin Park, right?
Take it.

The_Bagman

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 01:53:09 AM »
Pretty sure the drummer for White Noise Owl is in Evanescence who are going out on a world tour so perfect timing for Pete to be doing STP

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 12:36:19 PM »
Looks like many people are liking Pete Murray for STP. Anyone who isn't too keen on this guy?

Personally, I think I liked a few of the singer submissions more than Pete.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »
Looks like many people are liking Pete Murray for STP. Anyone who isn't too keen on this guy?

I think objectively he is a good rock singer, but I'm not a fan of his vocal style, it sounds too much like generic rock for my liking.  Sounds almost like every hardcore Christian rock band or something.  I have a hard time imagining his vocals on STP type of music

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
Pete Murray would be a good replacement for Maynard in Tool. But they won't replace Maynard because they are busy working on music.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »
Pete Murray would be a good replacement for Maynard in Tool. But they won't replace Maynard because they are busy working on music.

That's not why they wouldn't replace Maynard, they just wouldn't replace him. Period.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »

I know the exact date when the new Tool album is coming out.  That's all I can say.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »
I can say for sure you are wrong, and that it is 3 weeks later than the date you won't tell us.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
I can say for sure you are wrong, and that it is 3 weeks later than the date you won't tell us.

Actually, It's two days before that.  Just wait till you see how it all unfolds muwahahaha....
Unless it goes some other way.  Then I totally was right then for sure
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

TheWaterThatYouLeave

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2017, 02:16:50 AM »

I think objectively he is a good rock singer, but I'm not a fan of his vocal style, it sounds too much like generic rock for my liking.  Sounds almost like every hardcore Christian rock band or something.  I have a hard time imagining his vocals on STP type of music

He is clearly a hugely talented singer, with plenty of experience . I forget the name of the song I heard but his vocal SOARED. That kind of projection is difficult to achieve. Hopefully the more generic rock tendencies would get to be stretched out somewhat by the Deleo's more sophisticated chord progressions.
A friend pointed out though (and is correct from a production point of view) that a lot of his vocals
 ".. seem to have a little too much magic fairy dust sprinkled on them..."  In an acoustic performance I saw,his vocal was so compressed that it almost sounded auto tuned (which it wasn't , but I don't know how else to describe it). Not necessarily something he had any control over of course, but slightly harder to grasp the real tonalities of someone's voice when thats the case.
 If you listen to songs from Purple or Tiny Music for instance the vocal is very raw, pretty much diametrically opposite the reverb and delay heavy layering that creates that huge soaring vocal sound that bands like A Perfect Circle perfected decades ago. Hopefully a middle ground can be found. I'm sure it will.
Slightly off point but I worry slightly about the artistic ingenuity of someone that would name their band Ultraspank.
But I'm only teasing.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2017, 02:23:31 AM »

Agreed, he totally has the exact voice of those bands you hear when you're scanning through radio stations and it lands on the Christian rock one.

Totally mehhhh. Objectively, technically, a "good" singer, competent, definitely. Unique voice or style? Not at all.
Bleeda blooda

Eighth Caged Tiger

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 04:44:03 AM »
I *really* hope it's not Borja.  He would provide the most Scott-sounding option, but that's precisely why I don't want them to pick him.  I watched that documentary on Journey and Arnel Pineda, and Borja reminds me of Pineda - immensely talented singer, but essentially more of a vocalist impressionist than a actual frontman.  Pineda sings *exactly* like Steve Perry, and while it's admirable to be able to do that, it's something for a nostalgia band to do, not a band still looking to move forward artistically.