October 02, 2024, 11:27:04 AM

Author Topic: STP not nominated for rock hall  (Read 1837 times)

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
STP not nominated for rock hall
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »
I was listening to the radio on my way into work today and caught a news guy reading a list of nominees for the rock hall of fame. STP should technically be eligible for nomination this year but was not in the running. Rock Hall is typically something I don't care about but I must say that some of the artists in the running made me really raise an eyebrow.

Of the big names, Bon Jovi is a shoe in. I'm sure Radiohead overwhelmingly gets voted in even though I'm almost certain those guys will have zero enthusiasm about it. (Yet, STP will get zero mention even though I'm sure the Deleos and Kretz would be honored.) I was shocked to see that the MC5 and The Zombies are not in yet. Both should have been in years ago. Even though I never was a big RATM fan, they deserve to be in. They were just such an influential band. Aside from Nirvana, RATM had to easily be the second most influential band of the 90's.

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP not nominated for rock hall
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »
They absolutely deserve to get in but it's not at all a surprise. They will probably get in years from now when they have nobody left to get in that is worthy in their eyes. Would have been cool to happen now since they will be re-launching the band soon. Plus, it would have kind of put a bookend on the past, while looking forward to a new beginning.  Oh well. 

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 04:04:15 PM »
As far as members of a band getting inducted, isn't it all founding members and current members?  Maybe the Hall of Fame would do a courtesy for STP and wait until they reveal a new singer so they could actually play at their own induction.  Just a possibility, but then again if the Deep Purple only got in last year while Green Day got in on the first try I'm not holding high hopes.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 04:52:23 PM »
STP will most certainly get in...at some point...but they they've never been regarded as a first-ballot type in the same vein as Nirvana and Pearl Jam, in the eyes of those decision makers.

I'd sooner expect Soundgarden and AIC to get in before STP. Once those two are in, then they'll probably get to STP and then bands like the Pumpkins and such.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »
STP should have at least been nominated, even if it took awhile to get in.

Soundgarden to be not even being nominated despite being eligible for 3-4 years is shocking, especially with Chris just dying.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
I imagine LL Cool J will make it in as "this years rapper that gets in". Which will be awesome. LL Cool J will be in the "rock and roll" hall of fame but STP won't be.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 01:07:43 AM »
Honestly, IF STP get in... I think it would be after all the other 90s alternative bands which are played on radio are in. Regardless of who's has more success than another, it's clear the rock hall voting can be skewed as laughable... then I factor in how anything Scott weiland was linked to, seems to get shunned out of the medias eye, unless they see the platform appropriate to lay out the rehashed same ol same ol of how Scott did drugs... that's all the entertainment media wants to discuss when it comes to Scott.

These guys or Scott have rarely gotten the true deserved acknowledgement for how good they really are. Yes their music is still played, but these guys have proven they are one of rocks best groups in the last 30 years, but media is not going to acknowledge it.

Miley Cyrus gets in before these guys.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 01:49:14 AM »
LL Cool J will be in the "rock and roll" hall of fame but STP won't be.

This tells me all I need to know about the "rock and roll" hall of fame.

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
I don't understand why rap is in rock an hall of fame.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 05:01:52 PM »
Well STP aren't a "rock and roll" band either. I really don't get the hand wringing over this sort of thing, the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" is very clearly just the "Popular Music Hall of Fame" since they allow multiple genres, not just rock music. There's large amounts of cross over between most forms of popular music from the 50s onwards.

Instead of complaining about who gets in it, people should really be complaining about the name.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
STP will most certainly get in...at some point...but they they've never been regarded as a first-ballot type in the same vein as Nirvana and Pearl Jam, in the eyes of those decision makers.

I'd sooner expect Soundgarden and AIC to get in before STP. Once those two are in, then they'll probably get to STP and then bands like the Pumpkins and such.

Exactly. First Soundgarden will get in, then AIC, THEN STP. I've been saying this for a while, but we should expect a minimum of five years after eligibility for STP to get in.

I'm absolutely shocked Soungarden didn't get nominated. The band has been eligible for years, and with Chris' passing you'd think The Rock Hall would have been sure to put them on the ballot. Really stunned.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 02:39:00 AM »
I'm absolutely shocked Soungarden didn't get nominated. The band has been eligible for years, and with Chris' passing you'd think The Rock Hall would have been sure to put them on the ballot. Really stunned.

For some reason I thought Soundgarden had already been on the ballot. Pretty perplexing how they haven't been, and like how you said, with Chris's passing you'd think they'd made the cut this year.