September 25, 2024, 04:22:10 AM

Author Topic: New singer was not found through submissions  (Read 1857 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
New singer was not found through submissions
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »
I found this to be an interesting comment courtesy of Robert:
"...but needless to say we did not find anybody in all the submissions."

Hmm. I wonder what they have up their sleeve.

http://loudwire.com/stone-temple-pilots-making-music-with-new-singer-hope-to-put-out-new-record-soon/
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New singer was not found through submissions
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
Hmm........ I wonder if this rules out John Borja?
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

stontemplpilot

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »
Hmm........ I wonder if this rules out John Borja?
Between the comments in this interview, and the comments Robert made yesterday or the day before about he isn't sure if the new guy is considered well known or not, my guess based on the limited information that any of us have is the signs point towards Jeff Gutt.  If it isn't Jeff, my second guess would be somebody whose name we have not heard mentioned yet.  Borja was part of the submissions group as far as we know, so if the comments in this article are true then I would say that would rule him out.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »
I do not believe it to be Gutt or Borja and while I'm certain they gave it every effort to listen to those that made submissions, the open audition was nothing more than publicity for the band. That is not to say if someone blew them away they wouldn't entertain hiring that person but they had some guys in mind before all this and timing had to work out.

I don't believe the guy they have is anyone that has been rehashed over and over here but I haven't been around here much. When I do check in, it's been the same couple names that I've been told weren't their choice.

after reading the last couple very recent interviews, I'm pretty confident the name I've heard, could be the guy they are playing with. If it is, they are in good hands and I'm confident fans will be happy with their choice.
Take it.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »
Pretty sure Gutt was never part of the singer submissions, but had been auditioned prior to the whole online thing.

My theory since last year is Gutt was their favorite guy they auditioned before the submissions, and Borja was their favorite from the submissions, and last November they were picking between them.

My guess why Gutt hasn't been announced yet? They want to wait until they have an album to release.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »

after reading the last couple very recent interviews, I'm pretty confident the name I've heard, could be the guy they are playing with. If it is, they are in good hands and I'm confident fans will be happy with their choice.

Spill the beans. :)
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

HUTEYE

• HUTEYE
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
    • 3 DOLLAR MOLLY Band
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 03:06:04 AM »
Hard to believe that they didn't find someone out of all those submissions and secret appearances. Some of them tanked the gigs when they realized they were in the room, I hear.
Josh HUTEYE Hutson

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 04:00:51 AM »
This is odd. If they did not find anyone good enough in the 22,000 submissions then I feel their guy was pre-determined. However in terms of songwriting, with today's technology you can send recordings to each other over the net. For the case of John, I wonder why he purchased a new guitar which IMO was kinda out of budget (for him) if you ask me. It was almost a random thing, but I feel there was  a purpose behind it. He had another cheaper guitar lying around so it felt weird for me he bought another one a few months ago. Was he using it for recording? To do overdubs? Make study demos? I know all his local projects but none of which he used a guitar for as he already stopped playing guitar live. Something is too cryptic about these actions. There are many phases to the auditions which will probably be revealed later on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:21:21 AM by skunkyfunk »

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 04:15:25 AM »
And if I take all those words from the article at face value, then there will be more questions as to how we experienced things.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:18:27 AM by skunkyfunk »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 04:17:11 AM »
I do not believe it to be Gutt or Borja and while I'm certain they gave it every effort to listen to those that made submissions, the open audition was nothing more than publicity for the band. That is not to say if someone blew them away they wouldn't entertain hiring that person but they had some guys in mind before all this and timing had to work out.

I don't believe the guy they have is anyone that has been rehashed over and over here but I haven't been around here much. When I do check in, it's been the same couple names that I've been told weren't their choice.

Hey Vaporized, can you give us any hints about your super secret insider knowledge so that we will know it's true when the time comes? Like that time you surprised us with information that Dean played guitar solos on High Rise before it came out? Or all those times you broke the unexpected news that Scott was not doing well?

skunkyfunk

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 04:27:04 AM »
If ever, is the new guy been in contact with the band since feb 2016 or earlier?